Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm about to become a first time CR-V owner, but I'm having trouble with the final decision. I'm definitely buying either a gen 1.5 or 2. I like the way the gen 1.5 looks and feels, but I like the newer feeling qualities of the gen 2. Anyhow, I'm looking at a 99 4wd manual with 135k miles..all records kept in a folder and owned by one older woman since it was new. It looks nice, she did the timing belt/water pump, replaced radiator, front axles, and adjusted the valves among other maintenance and repairs...looks like she had a good reliable mechanic. The car is around 4k. Is this a smart buy, or should I be setting my sights more in the 2002-2004ish range? Those seem to be going for around 6500 to 8k where I live...SF Bay Area. So far this 99 is the most fun to drive of the ones I have driven

Thanks

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My 2000 auto has 228,000 miles on it and is still running well.

2002-2004 models have a lot of A/C compressor failures on this board.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
With that kind of service history, one owner (and an older woman to boot!) and fun to drive, why are you hesitating?
Sounds like a 'cream puff' to me.
Is it a color you like too?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I DO like the color...dark green. It has nice wheels and stock fog lights too. My hesitation is just that it's so old. My current car is a 97 and it just gave up the ghost....of course it's a VW not a Honda, but I'm a bit wary of the age of the car.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,605 Posts
I'd buy it and be happy! No rust, I'd expect.

(Though, I DO like my Gen2 V.) :cool:

·
Registered
442 Posts
99 4wd manual is antique stuff ! I would say go for it unless there is rust and any other mechanical issues. It is a bit low on power compared to gen 2, again depends if you are ok to live with it.
The motor is solid and with regular maintenance it can go another 100k miles easily. Try to negotiate the price as manuals are a bit tougher to sell :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I think I'm going for it. I offered him 3800...still waiting to hear back. I know the gen2 has more power, but I didn't notice much if any difference when I test drove them. I suppose it would be more noticeable on a steep climb...but on the freeway it still seemed strangely more zippy than my 97 GTI. Anyhow hopefully I will be joining the ranks of happy Crv owners very soon.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have not owned a gen1 but have driven a few. The manuals are certainly more fun than the auto. With the manuals there is good torque in 1st and 2nd gear ... you will see gen1s off roaded the most with lifts and larger tires and have no issues going over hills and inclines.
In my opinion the Gen1 is the best looking CRV of all generations !

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Well, did you get it?
Pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, did you get it?
Pics or it didn't happen.
I sold my 2000 CRV this past winter. If there is no rust, has the timing belt updated, the $4k price is very reasonable.

When trying to sell mine I did have two gentlemen looking at it stating these early versions are considered collector items. They would have snapped mine up except for the rust.

I have the CRV 2015 with vibrations. If I could go back in time I would do three things:

1) Never get married
2) Not leave my previous job
3) Kept my 2000 CRV

Mine was dark green too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm getting it Sunday for $3800. Pretty excited...thanks for the encouragement, I'll post pics when I'm an owner.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Congrats on taking the plunge!
I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Looks good!
I'd recommend taking it to a pro detail shop and having them steam clean the interior if the smell persists. Be worth the money to get it smelling nice IMO.
I like those fog lights you've got.
You really didn't expect everything to be perfect in a $3800 car did you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts