Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which strategy is working best - ask for an amount off the MSRP or ask for an amount over dealer invoice? Anyone know what dealer invoice is for EX-AWD? I went in for first negotiation today and dealer would not talk invoice number with me and basically wanted to charge MSRP and take off some $ for bogus discounts like dealer loyalty and brand loyalty amounting to about $500. They are offering me a reasonable trade in amount on 2008 Ridgeline with high mileage so I am somewhat cornered with wanting to get rid of the Ridgeline. And they know it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i always talk numbers and then when they are at their "lowest" tell them i have a trade and bring pricing info etc

·
Registered
434 Posts
Neither; MSRP is irrelevant and "dealer invoice" is a number made up by the individual dealer and can include things like regional advertising costs. You want to negotiate up from dealer cost of the vehicle, plus destination charge (same charge for all dealers and non-negotiable). Of course, that info is a little more difficult to come by, but not impossible by any means.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found that Kelly Blue Book web site tries to normalize the dealer's cost/invoice and places a value of $25,379 for the CRV EX I am looking at. This is the number I needed to determine that my dealer had a bit more to come down from his initial offer of $26,000. It also told me that my price point for purchase should be around $25,500 for reality sake.

·
Registered
434 Posts
$25,500 for a '13 EX AWD sounds like a good deal to me (assuming the trade isn't figured in to that price). I paid $25,399 for my '12 EX AWD 12 months ago; no trade. That figure included destination, wheel locks, full tank of gas and first service oil change. Now, your job is to resist mightily any dealer add-ons, protection packages, pre-paid service or extended warranties. And make sure the dealer isn't pulling any shenanigans on financing or adding bogus fees/costs on the sale contract.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts