Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First, sorry for all the details, just trying to give the big picture. :)

My 2002 Civic was recently totaled from being hit in the rear-end. I'm looking to replace it with a CR-V between the years of 1998-2001 (I prefer the body style). My question is one CR-V I'm looking at has 93k miles and the other two I'm looking at are around 141-160k.

These are from dealers. Unfortunately no one can tell me if the timing belt has been recently (or relatively recently) changed. From what I gather it's recommended to replace the belt (and water pump) at 105k miles. I had to replace the engine in my first CR-V (prior to the Civic) because it failed. The previous owner had told me the last owner said he'd had the timing belt replaced. I can't remember the mileage when I bought the CR-V, but I when I sold it there was 130k miles. I bought it in Oct 2007, the belt broke Jan 2010, and I sold it around Oct 2011.

My concern with buying another CR-V is not knowing if I should plan to have the belt replaced right away as a precaution or wait the suggested time (which would be 105k for the one with 93k miles and 210k for the ones with the higher mileage?). I'm on a very tight budget, but $600-700 to replace the belt is a lot less than 15k for a used engine.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,623 Posts
If there are no records with the cars you are considering, then negotiate the cost of replacing the timing belt into the sale.

Even the 93K car is DUE for a belt, as it is WAY OVER the time criterion for replacement. You would be taking a BIG chance driving a 18 - 22 year old timing belt!

PS you should also factor in the cost of a tuneup and valve adjustment if there are no records.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, that is good advice! I didn't think of factoring the price into the purchase cost. The dealer wants $5500 for the one with 93k miles. $4500 is the highest I'd be willing to pay.

As far as I can tell, w/o having a diagnostic check done yet, the other concerning issues are that it has some rust on the front and bubbles in the paint (it was in PA, now in GA). I'm hoping to go see it tomorrow since you can never tell just by the pictures and description. But I figured since only 93k, it's worth going to see.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts