Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you CR-Vers !!

I am thinking of buying 2011-2014 (FWD) around 120,000-160,000 ish KM (75,000- 100,000 mi) and drive it tell the wheels fall off.
Can anyone tell me if there is one better than the other for reliability Gen 3 VS Gen 4 ?
I was also wondering about buying the 2012 first Gen 4 would I be better to start lookin at 2013 ?
Some first change over years has growing pains.

I do have some experience with Honda. I have a 2009 Ridgeline that my wife calls the garage trophy. Fuel mileage has an effect on that as will as stretching out the first timing belt change.

Thanks Brian

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not too sure if one year is better over the other.

To research, it might be best to search different years within below URL and focus on lower page "Consumer Reviews". re: 2013 Honda CR-V Review & Ratings | Edmunds

Note: When searching above URL and its Consumers feedback section, look for patterns in their data. For example, this generation tends to have weak front headlights. A common pattern shown on this forum as well...

If wondering, my wife has a 2014 CRV AWD and although its not a perfect vehicle (re: being an Engineer, I've yet to find a perfectly designed/built vehicle), we will keep our '14 CRV until its too expensive to fix. So far, NO unexpected fixes. And, it's never left us stranded....

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,009 Posts
I bought my 2013 CRV brand new in August of 2013 with 6 miles on it. Now I'm at right over 90k miles and it has been a great vehicle. I would definitely recommend a 2012-2014 for sure. I know the 2010 CRV had oil burning issues, I'm not sure if that carried to to the 2011 though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've had a few what I believe are abnormal issues with my 2012 AWD 198,000 kms as follows:

• plugged heater core for drivers side heat - had flush done and now okay
  • half shaft replaced on passenger side
  • propeller shaft replaced
  • and the notorious transmission shudder which has been kept at bay by 25000km fluid flushes

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moving to Shopping & Test Driving section. In the end, it may boil down to what is available at the time and the condition of your choice. I chose a Gen 3 ('07), mostly because of lower price and pristine condition. So I may be a bit prejudiced. But IMO the newer you go the more issues you'll have. For the Gen 3's, you can still by a Honda factory service manual. You can still easily upgrade your head unit. Most have no excessive oil consumption issues. They have a bit less gadgetry to break. Parts and accessories are often less expensive. It may take longer to find low mileage, but I was willing to take the time. SO, IMO you should go look for a Gen 3, '07'-'09. Some 2010-2011 models had piston ring seating issues that caused excessive oil consumption. There were also some other changes to those two years that were problematic. Beyond Gen 3, I wouldn't go. That's how I see it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hello all you CR-Vers !!

I am thinking of buying 2011-2014 (FWD) around 120,000-160,000 ish KM (75,000- 100,000 mi) and drive it tell the wheels fall off.
Can anyone tell me if there is one better than the other for reliability Gen 3 VS Gen 4 ?
I was also wondering about buying the 2012 first Gen 4 would I be better to start lookin at 2013 ?
Some first change over years has growing pains.

I do have some experience with Honda. I have a 2009 Ridgeline that my wife calls the garage trophy. Fuel mileage has an effect on that as will as stretching out the first timing belt change.

Thanks Brian
Welcome aboard!

The Ridgeline timing belt is mileage AND time sensitive...you are ready for a timing belt now (don't forget to change the water pump as well).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks!! for your input on CR-V reliability shopping and sorry for posting in wrong place.
The Ridgeline timing belt is mileage AND time sensitive...you are ready for a timing belt now (don't forget to change the water pump as well).
I know i'm past the recommendation timing bet but my local Honda quoted me a price that was totally crazy. I"m look for a garage that specializes in Honda's around the Toronto area right now.
Over at the ridgeline owners club every timing belt I've read that has failed has been after they've changing out the original.

• and the notorious transmission shudder which has been kept at bay by 25000km fluid flushes
The ridgeline is no much different with the same shudder, i'm sure. Us ridgeline owners have to keep on top of transaxle fluid changes too or it can develop a shudder as well.I'm not familiar with the cr-v but the ridge is simple to drain and fill so a diy person can do it and that's actually not to bad of an expense for tranny services.It's way cheaper then a transaxle rebuild or replace.

I was looking at the rav4 2013 as well and its reliability is not what everyone thinks as well.
It got a new 6 speed transaxle that is really crazy to check the A/T fluid with no dipstick.and changing it is just as crazy hard for a diy person.As well there is a bunch of documents on having to upgrade the 2 magenites in the pan to 4 and as well as bad torque converters.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Being in Canada, avoid the third generation CR-V (that would be the 2011 model, the last year for that generation). There is a recall by Honda where part of the rear subframe rusts out--this rust happens where the rear trailing arm attaches to the subframe. The only "cure" is that Honda will buy back your CR-V. If it breaks, there is no fix for it. If they catch it before it rusts, they have a means to treat it. If your area of Canada uses a lot of road salt, they are susceptible to this rust. They are here in the northern states of the US that use road salt, but have no recall in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Moving to Shopping & Test Driving section. In the end, it may boil down to what is available at the time and the condition of your choice. I chose a Gen 3 ('07), mostly because of lower price and pristine condition. So I may be a bit prejudiced. But IMO the newer you go the more issues you'll have. For the Gen 3's, you can still by a Honda factory service manual. You can still easily upgrade your head unit. Most have no excessive oil consumption issues. They have a bit less gadgetry to break. Parts and accessories are often less expensive. It may take longer to find low mileage, but I was willing to take the time. SO, IMO you should go look for a Gen 3, '07'-'09. Some 2010-2011 models had piston ring seating issues that caused excessive oil consumption. There were also some other changes to those two years that were problematic. Beyond Gen 3, I wouldn't go. That's how I see it.
Hi I hope u dont mind me replying to this thread . I've posted one but I didnt get replies so perhaps it easnt worded right but I was asking whether a generation 2 or 3 is better. I'm now looking at a 2008 diesel which has 90,000 miles in a honda dealership at a realistic price. It's more than I wanted to pay as I prefer the old shape and style of boot but it's rare a Honda approved vehicle appears that's affordable. You say u like the 2007-09 age grouping. Why is that thanks

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Hi I hope u dont mind me replying to this thread . I've posted one but I didnt get replies so perhaps it easnt worded right but I was asking whether a generation 2 or 3 is better. I'm now looking at a 2008 diesel which has 90,000 miles in a honda dealership at a realistic price. It's more than I wanted to pay as I prefer the old shape and style of boot but it's rare a Honda approved vehicle appears that's affordable. You say u like the 2007-09 age grouping. Why is that thanks
Well in my case, the reasons are going to be different from yours. First, I live in Texas. I really wanted a manual transmission, and here, that limits me to Gen 2 at the latest, as in the US they stopped giving us the manual transmission after the Gen 2. But they are like hen's teeth and I was not able to find a nice one - still haven't after almost 3 years of searching. In the Gen 3, here in the US, the '07-'09 models are the most reliable, as 2010-2011 models had some changes, some of which caused issues in some cars, such as bad piston rings, which contributed to high oil consumption. I also shopped for an Element with manual trans, no luck there either. Hen's teeth again. What I was able to find was a very clean, pristine, one owner '07, with relatively low miles and all maintenance records, for a good price, so that's what I ended up with. It wasn't my first choice, but I am happy so far, it's a great little car.

In the UK, you folks have the truly envious benefit of may options we never got in the Gen 3, such as the manual transmission, as well as a lot of luxury items such as power folding mirrors with turn signals, headlight washers, nicer bumpers, etc., and the diesel engine. Plus you had most if not all those same options in the Gen 2. So, I think you have more options to choose from, which is a good thing. Also, your vehicles were not made here, so they likely didn't have the same issues ours here did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.