Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just walked out into my garage, where my Touring has been parked for 5 hours or so, and heard something like a small pump motor running. It seemed like it was coming from the rear. By the time I went back in to get my phone to record it, it shut off. Any ideas what this is? It seemed quite odd.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I ve had mine since December 19th and heard that the other day. i started it up, double checked the parking brake, shut off. Been ok since. Would like to know also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen. Went into the garage where the car had been parked for hours. Heard that sound and determined it was coming from the rear. Went to get my phone to record it, but it had stopped by the time I got back.

I have no idea how long it had been making that noise, but it was very odd that it was making it after having been parked for several hours.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me the day after I bought my '17 CRV - I went out into the garage to turn on the outside garage light, and my car was making a buzzing/vibrating noise. I thought I was crazy because it stopped shortly thereafter and I've never heard it since. I'd love to find out what this is.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Part of the emissions testing on all cars is to check for fuel vapor leaks. There are many ways to do this, one of them is to seal the system and run a small vacuum pump and then use a pressure sensor to test for leaks. This has to be done well after the car is shut down and totally cooled off or else the natural pressure changes in the fuel tank will cause false readings. It is very likely you just happened to be in a quiet place when such a test occurred and you heard the pump back in the rear of the car that is used for the test. I will have to look into this further but that is a very common cause of this unexplained noise in that area.

Not to worry, nothing is wrong. Even my motorcycle does emissions tests after I turn it off. Its strange to hear it the first time, buzzes, clicks and noises from nowhere...:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine was making this noise just tonight when I went out to the garage. Started the car up and turned it off and the noise stopped. Have the car two weeks and this is the first time I have heard it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Mine was making this noise just tonight when I went out to the garage. Started the car up and turned it off and the noise stopped. Have the car two weeks and this is the first time I have heard it.
Its actually rare on most cars to be lucky enough to catch it. It only runs under certain conditions based on time and temperature in most cases. Back in the mid to late 1990's when cars first started with these OBD-II tests we got a lot of panicked owners bringing their cars in and a lot of dealer techs scratching their heads until we got them up to speed on what was happening. When I read the early posts on this I had to smile...we were dealing with this stuff twenty years back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same sound yesterday... So is it something that need to dealt with? Or safe to be ignored? How often will it reacurr?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had the same sound in my 2015 CR-V. I attributed it to expansion of the gasoline vapor that was passed through the filtration of the fuel system thus no gasoline smell. This may be the same thing.

Now here is a question for those experiencing this. Are you bringing you CR-V in from the cold into a warmer garage? This might case the problem as the gasoline warms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened with my 2017 CRV Touring a month ago, and again tonight. Can Honda Service fix this?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Same thing happened with my 2017 CRV Touring a month ago, and again tonight. Can Honda Service fix this?
As Hans patiently explained above, there is nothing to fix.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oops, I created a new thread on this. I had the same problem last night. Called the dealer's service department and asked them before I found the answer. They had no clue.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Part of the emissions testing on all cars is to check for fuel vapor leaks. There are many ways to do this, one of them is to seal the system and run a small vacuum pump and then use a pressure sensor to test for leaks. This has to be done well after the car is shut down and totally cooled off or else the natural pressure changes in the fuel tank will cause false readings. It is very likely you just happened to be in a quiet place when such a test occurred and you heard the pump back in the rear of the car that is used for the test. I will have to look into this further but that is a very common cause of this unexplained noise in that area.

Not to worry, nothing is wrong. Even my motorcycle does emissions tests after I turn it off. Its strange to hear it the first time, buzzes, clicks and noises from nowhere...:D
Thank You.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Just went in my garage and heard "the noise" for the first time since I've had my CR-V (February purchase, 2200 miles to date) and remembered reading about it here but forgot what it was. Thanks for the explanation!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The exact same thing happened to me the day after I bought my '17 CRV - I went out into the garage to turn on the outside garage light, and my car was making a buzzing/vibrating noise. I thought I was crazy because it stopped shortly thereafter and I've never heard it since. I'd love to find out what this is.
Thanks for this post. Has anyone been able to get any confirmation from Honda regarding this? I was unable to through dealer or Honda directly.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Caught the noise also. Surprised how loud it was. Thanks Hans471 for the explanation.
I have owned several new car in the last 5 years and never had any noises as described. I spend alot of time in my garage because my main workshop is in there . For giggles I went to a Honda dealers parts list to find that system....nothing that would look like a pump or pressure device.
This is one of the areas that had a solenoid but no pump
https://www.cheaperhondaparts.com/auto-parts/2017/honda/cr-v-5-door/tourin-awd-e-liberty-trim/variable-engine/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/air-bypass-valve-scat

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have owned several new car in the last 5 years and never had any noises as described. I spend alot of time in my garage because my main workshop is in there . For giggles I went to a Honda dealers parts list to find that system....nothing that would look like a pump or pressure device.
This is one of the areas that had a solenoid but no pump
https://www.cheaperhondaparts.com/auto-parts/2017/honda/cr-v-5-door/tourin-awd-e-liberty-trim/variable-engine/electrical-exhaust-heater-fuel-cat/air-bypass-valve-scat
Module Assy., Evaporative Leakcheck
Part Number: 17391-TLA-A03

If you look at the Honda e-Store (the best place for exploded parts diagrams), it's under Electrical/Exhaust/Heater/Fuel -> Canister

1 - 20 of 44 Posts