Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I turn the key to crank the engine, I get a buzzing sound, right before the key gets to the point where the starter engages. Could it be the starter relay making this buzzing sound? Is this a known problem? Any advice would be helpful, before I dive into trying to fix this abnormal buzz.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I've had this on a couple of Hondas over the years--nothing bad ever came of it. I just make certain to turn the key quickly all the way to "start" so I can avoid it.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,069 Posts
You can hear the fuel pump priming the System on most cars. Always s good noise in my book!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Something buzzing could possibly be the Main Relay. Perhaps locate it and have someone listen at that spot.
Another suspect item is the temp control unit under the dash, can't remember the name of it. Sometimes they start 'hunting' and make noise. similar to clicking or buzzing and some just take them apart and re-grease the electric contact area.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2008 Honda CR-V
121 Posts
When you turn the ignition it is suppose to make a buzzing sound. That is the relay turning the fuel pump on. However, not sure if that is the buzzing sound you are talking about? If your V is running good than I am pretty sure that is the buzzing you are hearing. Ever get to where you do not hear that buzzing, then either you are starting to go deaf or your car will not crank. In other words, that is a good noise.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V EX
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the good suggestions to this problem. The buzzing is definitely not the fuel pump priming. I think I like the main relay for the noise. I know the main relay, in many a Honda model, is a problem and usually start to go bad eventually. I don't have any experience with the temperature control unit in Hondas. I will look into a bit of that also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a problem with my 2008 CRV where sometimes it would just buzz when I tried to start it. If I turned the key off and then on, it would usually start, but sometimes it took a few tries. Then my display started to flicker, and eventually became unreadable. The solution that I found to fix the display was to remove it, and heat the seven pins at the top and bottom where the ribbon cables connect with a soldering iron to melt the solder on those connections to reestablish a good connection. That not only fixed my display, but since I did that repair, I no longer have the buzzing problem when I start the car.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,611 Posts
When I turn the key to crank the engine, I get a buzzing sound, right before the key gets to the point where the starter engages. Could it be the starter relay making this buzzing sound? Is this a known problem? Any advice would be helpful, before I dive into trying to fix this abnormal buzz.
The buzzing sound is the ignition switch making the noise.
Had the same thing. It was not a problem.
But, got tired of hearing it. So changed the ignition switch and no more noise.

·
Registered
2009 CR-V LX Fwd
104 Posts
Had the same buzzing sound in my son's 2004 Accord 4cyl. Replaced ignition switch and buz didn't return.
I checked and Honda ignition switch part numbers for 2004 Accord and a 2009 CRV are the same: 35130-SAA-J51

·
Registered
14 Posts
That buzzing sound is the main relay (PGM-FI) fuel pump relay. You will hear this noise if you turn the key TOO slowly from Ignition to Start. If you blip it quick from ign to start you wont hear it but if you turn it slowly and hold it between the two, you'll get that awful grinding noise which cant be good for the relay.

I found out when it died on the odyssey

1 - 15 of 15 Posts