Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am out of town on travel for a week. The "D" light indicator came on for the 1st time over the weekend, indicating that I have a transmission issue. I have a trani shop in town that I've dealt with before that will look at it.

But now my ignition switch has quit - my key won't turn, so I cannot start the car. I had a locksmith at home repair the lock mechanism before I started on my trip, but it has already malfunctioned again. I want to replace it this time with a guaranteed, used OEM ignition switch listed on Ebay, but this will take time to be delivered to me.

In the interim, is there anyway I can still start my CRV, despite the ignition switch being bad? The guy who gave me a tow tonight, said something about starting it by inserting a screwdriver into the ignition, but I really don't know what he is talking about.

If I can get the car started, I can at least get it to the trani shop, before I drive home. Otherwise, I'm concerned I may do damage to the trani with 300 miles ahead of me on my return trip.

Any advice on starting my car, at least temporarily, without a functional ignition switch would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am out of town on travel for a week. The "D" light indicator came on for the 1st time over the weekend, indicating that I have a transmission issue. I have a trani shop in town that I've dealt with before that will look at it.

But now my ignition switch has quit - my key won't turn, so I cannot start the car. I had a locksmith at home repair the lock mechanism before I started on my trip, but it has already malfunctioned again. I want to replace it this time with a guaranteed, used OEM ignition switch listed on Ebay, but this will take time to be delivered to me.

In the interim, is there anyway I can still start my CRV, despite the ignition switch being bad? The guy who gave me a tow tonight, said something about starting it by inserting a screwdriver into the ignition, but I really don't know what he is talking about.

If I can get the car started, I can at least get it to the trani shop, before I drive home. Otherwise, I'm concerned I may do damage to the trani with 300 miles ahead of me on my return trip.

Any advice on starting my car, at least temporarily, without a functional ignition switch would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

It sucks that it had to happen when you need the car the most. I wouldn't recommend jamming/inserting a flat screwdriver in the key-hole. You will break the pins inside and will need a replacement after doing so. Plus doesn't the 02-06 models have microchipped keys? I would have the car flat-bedded back home and get a rental... Check the transmission fluid level and try to see if you can read some trouble codes.

Maybe someone can chime in from the world of GTA experience to help you out if you still want to temporarily get rolling...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts