Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
C&D recently tested several vehicles on Regluar vs. Premium, of which the 1.5T CR-V was one. There was a measurable difference on the dyno, but none on the street. There was a 1% "boost" in economy.

(The difference on the dyno disappearing on the street is common with turbocharged engines; there's issues getting appropriate air flow over the intercooler on the dyno.)

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Two comments in the article really stuck out in my view:

Raising the octane rating (also known as the anti-knock index) doesn't change the energy content of a gallon of gasoline. A higher octane rating indicates greater resistance to knock, the early combustion of the fuel-air mixture that causes cylinder pressure to spike. When higher-octane fuel is flowing through its injectors , the engine controller can take advantage of the elevated knock threshold and dial in more aggressive timing and higher boost pressures to improve performance.
A great summary about octane and how it may or may not benefit.... depending completely on how the engine controller adjusts to the change in octane, giving more room for knock adjust.

Even as it's sucking down as much as 18.5 psi of boost, the CR-V's 1.5-liter inline-four isn't interested in 93 octane. Honda asks for 87 octane and makes no claims that raising the fuel octane will lift performance. Based on our testing, premium fuel might as well not exist in the CR-V's world. We could see this coming. During a similar Car and Driver test 18 years ago, an Accord powered by a 3.0-liter V-6 made more power and accelerated quicker on regular fuel than on premium. The modern CR-V, with half the displacement but rated at just 10 less ponies, makes the same argument: Don't waste your money on premium.
Yep. This has been known here for some time.... but good to see actual testing validation.

That said... higher octane may still result in better fuel trims on the 1.5T and hence make it more immune to the issues of OD some owners report (though it appears that E10 is more important than actual octane). My guess is the 1.5T engine controller is able to take advantage of the higher octane characteristics of ethanol in some manner that is not fully understood at an octane rating of 87 in the fuel blend.

·
Registered
963 Posts
That said... higher octane may still result in better fuel trims on the 1.5T and hence make it more immune to the issues of OD some owners report (though it appears that E10 is more important than actual octane). My guess is the 1.5T engine controller is able to take advantage of the higher octane characteristics of ethanol in some manner that is not fully understood at an octane rating of 87 in the fuel blend.
'18 Touring here - had noticeable gas smell in the oil on the initial 'break-in' oil and a small amount of OD.

<Started using premium fuel around 3,500 miles>

First oil change (Honda synthetic) and still had some gas smell...

Second oil change used Mobil1 and continued use of premium - there has been NO gas smell and NO OD.

I do not care about the price of fuel - this is a long term purchase and I am positive premium fuel and a high end synthetic oil (better than Honda synthetic oil) has worked for our CR-V driving at 5,000 feet on average.

I rather disliked the gas smell in the cabin and it no longer exists.

$.02.

·
Registered
178 Posts
First oil change (Honda synthetic) and still had some gas smell...

Second oil change used Mobil1 and continued use of premium - there has been NO gas smell and NO OD.
I'm assuming both at 0W20. It just seems so incredible to me. I mean, what the heck could be so different between these two oils to make such an immediate and substantial difference? You can confirm there was no change in driving habits, nor major seasonal changes in weather when the changes were made?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm assuming both at 0W20. It just seems so incredible to me. I mean, what the heck could be so different between these two oils to make such an immediate and substantial difference? You can confirm there was no change in driving habits, nor major seasonal changes in weather when the changes were made?
Mobil 1 0w20 does not solve this problem. It doesn't change anything.

·
Registered
17 Cr-V LX
197 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Honda full synthetic oil (0-20) carries the following API approvals:

GF-5, SN

Mobil 1 (0-20) carries the following API & ILSAC approvals

GF‐5, API SN Plus Resource Conserving, SN Plus, SN

THIS is how Mobil 1 can make a difference, it's a better oil.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Honda full synthetic oil (0-20) carries the following API approvals:

GF-5, SN

Mobil 1 (0-20) carries the following API & ILSAC approvals

GF‐5, API SN Plus Resource Conserving, SN Plus, SN

THIS is how Mobil 1 can make a difference, it's a better oil.
This has already been proved incorrect. Honda synth has been updated and meets the same requirements. You are wrong. I only ran Mobil 1 and always had fuel in the oil when I removed it. 3-6% generally.

Going to heavier weight might have a very small benefit, but there is no data to support it at this time.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can we please not turn this into yet another Oil Dilution thread? The topic of the thread is Premium Gas in the 1.5T (specifically, Car & Driver's take on the matter, using data from their tests), which has nothing whatsoever to do with different brands or weights of oil, or how they do or don't affect OD.

I'm sure the topic has already been discussed to death in the 2,000+-post OD topic.

Cut it out.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Can we please not turn this into yet another Oil Dilution thread? The topic of the thread is Premium Gas in the 1.5T (specifically, Car & Driver's take on the matter, using data from their tests), which has nothing whatsoever to do with different brands or weights of oil, or how they do or don't affect OD.

I'm sure the topic has already been discussed to death in the 2,000+-post OD topic.

Cut it out.
So has premium fuel.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So has premium fuel.
This is, to my knowledge, the first, actual, instrumented performance and economy tests on the subject for the 1.5T, in an article that was just published, and by a reputable source. (As opposed to a bunch of anecdotal reports and "tests" performed by just looking at the trip meter and taking a reading on the 'ol butt-dyno. Or the typical one-and-done tests run by somebody wanting to sell you performance upgrades.)

In any case, this is not a topic decreed to be confined to a thread specifically created for it. As opposed to cramming in the same done-to-death arguments on OD, in a thread that has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject. If you wanna argue about oil dilution vs. grades/brands of motor oil this thread is not the place for it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, missed that earlier thread; didn't know it referred to this article in particular. (Although my thread goes to the whole article (which just appeared on the website) instead of just being a snippet from the print version.)

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,786 Posts
Since this has become another oil dilution thread, it's being closed at this time.

Shame that article was interesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.