Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed it and the engine air filter for the second time.

I like to think we drive in a relatively dust-free area but as you can see, it was dirty.

The engine air filter was not as dirty as I thought it would be.
Old on left next to new.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,906 Posts
Just changed it and the engine air filter for the second time.

I like to think we drive in a relatively dust-free area but as you can see, it was dirty.

The engine air filter was not as dirty as I thought it would be.
Old on left next to new.

Now imagine if that were your lungs.

These are essentially HEPA filter cartridges.

I have room HEPA filter units in my home (which only run when it is daylight or a light is on.. so figure 10 hours a day at most, and most of that is automatically at a low setting). We generally have good air quality most days of the year here, but there are always particles in the air anywhere. The units use a cleanable pre-filter, and a disposable carbon filter before the air flow gets to the HEPA filter. After a year.. the HEPA filters literally look as dirty as your old one in the photo here. [The units are smart and will flag when it is time to replace the HEPA].

In other words... general air quality ALWAYS has lots of particulates in it.. and the whole point of a HEPA filter is to catch them.. not pass them on. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Now imagine if that were your lungs.

These are essentially HEPA filter cartridges.

I have room HEPA filter units in my home (which only run when it is daylight or a light is on.. so figure 10 hours a day at most, and most of that is automatically at a low setting). We generally have good air quality most days of the year here, but there are always particles in the air anywhere. The units use a cleanable pre-filter, and a disposable carbon filter before the air flow gets to the HEPA filter. After a year.. the HEPA filters literally look as dirty as your old one in the photo here. [The units are smart and will flag when it is time to replace the HEPA].

In other words... general air quality ALWAYS has lots of particulates in it.. and the whole point of a HEPA filter is to catch them.. not pass them on. :)
And I remember the day when we drove our cars with the windows open. How unhealthy....

·
Registered
538 Posts
Does it have an oil filter? They were often optional in the 1950s.
It did have a canister filter, I have since switched to a 350 engine. Interestingly enough, until recently it still had the original differential fluid in it. I finally drilled it and put in a drain plug. 65 years on the original fluid. Not bad.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It did have a canister filter, I have since switched to a 350 engine. Interestingly enough, until recently it still had the original differential fluid in it. I finally drilled it and put in a drain plug. 65 years on the original fluid. Not bad.
How many miles do you figure it had on it?

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Change both filter every other oil change. (about 13000 miles, 14 months). They are both very dirty by then.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Holy crap! I guess I'd better check my cabin filter then. This is the first car I've ever owned with one. Shoot, my engine air filter on my big block F250 doesn't get that dirty in a year. Of course, I live in Texas, where we have a lot more air per person, and less dirty industry, at least where I am.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You guys do realize that the dirtier an air filter is, the better it filters? A dirty air filter certainly isn't going to let more dust pass though it, it would actually be the opposite.

Also, the job of the cabin filter is to keep the hvac components clean much more than it is to clean the air inside of the vehicle. In the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt it would make any noticeable difference at all weather you changed it 5 times per year, or once in 5 years.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
792 Posts
You guys do realize that the dirtier an air filter is, the better it filters? A dirty air filter certainly isn't going to let more dust pass though it, it would actually be the opposite.

Also, the job of the cabin filter is to keep the hvac components clean much more than it is to clean the air inside of the vehicle. In the grand scheme of things, I highly doubt it would make any noticeable difference at all weather you changed it 5 times per year, or once in 5 years.
I found on my on truck that if I let the cabin filter go too long between changes, it was collapsed from being overly clogged. Unfiltered air was then getting past it.

·
Registered
865 Posts

Dirty air filters can get so efficient that they even have the ability to prevent air itself from passing! Clean air filters can't do that. The filter mafia run by Honda had caused us to throw out filters before they reach their air-stopping potential. /s

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts