Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on buying/using a Honda filter vs a non-Honda filter. I found a Honda cabin air filter on Amazon for $16 and a Honda engine filter for $22. Of course there's cheaper filters that aren't Honda brand, but wondering if you think there's any major difference in quality. I'm thinking of just heading out to Auto Zone and finding it there. Thoughts?

·
Registered
229 Posts
I bought Purolator Breatheasy cabin air filters from Amazon for my truck and CR-V. When the time comes to replace the engine air filter I'll pick up a NAPA Gold.

This is the CR-V filter, looks like the price has gone up some, I paid about $15 ea. Glad I bought three.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I think the Fram engine air filter is fine, perhaps even better than the Honda one. Same with their cabin air filter.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
HandA used to sell Micron cabin filters. Don't know if they still do or not. They worked well for filtering out the ash we had a couple years ago from the fires we had here in SoCal.
I've only replaced engine filters with the K&N drop in replacement filter.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just ordered cabin filter from Rockauto.com and paid $5.00 and they look....feel, and fit just like the NAPA filters that I was paying $15 for. I guess the next time I order Ill get 4,5 or so so I have on hand.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was getting my Frams from Fleet Farm for under $10 for the cabin and the air filters. Last time I looked they didn't have stock, but I bought four the previous trip. lol

The Frams work fine...both on our CR V and my Acura. Same cabin, different air filters .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used any air filters I can find that are cheap. So most stocked brands like Ryco would be a luxury item for me. Honda's do not produce their own filters just like they don't produce their own oil/fluids. So there is no huge differences in my opinion as long as it has a good enough filter element. Get it from a known seller or if you prefer, a known brand name for peace of mind. Personally, I have used a lot of different non-branded filters on different cars. Some filters I bought off ebay and have not noticed the engine perform any worse and oil changes does not seem excessively dirty or contain huge particles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use Fram, etc., although I don't know of anyway to know if various aftermarket filters are as good or better than original equipment. I don't think either Honda or after market publish data on filtration effectiveness, etc.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Replaced mine this week after 9700 miles and one year of use.
I use the fresh breeze ones

This was what it looked like (oem one) 3DA309B5-D1D6-46DB-BEEF-31A135D1ECAD.jpg
This is the replacement
13D757AD-C164-49DC-B7FB-5FCF9C721584.jpg

·
Everything in Moderation
7,920 Posts
^^^ Don't forget to take it out of the box...works better that way, LOL.

If you haven't replaced the old one yet, post a pic of the new one so we can compare pleats, thickness, etc.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
^^^ Don't forget to take it out of the box...works better that way, LOL.

If you haven't replaced the old one yet, post a pic of the new one so we can compare pleats, thickness, etc.

I’ll pull it out this weekend and post a pic.

That sounds way better when i was 20 texting a chick.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I’m still waiting on full print manual to arrive but the pdf doesn’t seem to show the procedure to replace the cabin filter. Do any of have a tutorial or how-to for on a ‘18 CR-V?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Hard for anyone to help you since different yrs have different procedures on changing that filter.
Google and youtube.com can be helpful.
Buffalo4
PS: If you put your yr and model and mileage in your sig, it would be helpful.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts