Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 CR-V. Where is the AC filter that the dealer charges me for whenever I have it serviced and how hard is it to change?
Thanks;
...Harry...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
On the '08 it is a 5 minute job. Even if you are in a wheel chair like me.

It probably is behind the main glove compartment door. You move over a couple off hook on the door and disconnect the mechanism that limits how far it drops, slowly. Then the door swings all the way down and out of the way. Exposing the filter which is behind a flat cover that is sort off right gbelow the lower windsheild. When the opening created by the glove compartment door swinging all the way exposes everything behind the door.. Much easier to explain with pictures.

I believe there are instructions on how to do it step by step on this site. Do a search.

-Rg

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I have a 2001 and have done mine. It's about 1/2 hr job and I'm a female. I hate to say this but, I bet the stealership isn't changing that filter but charging you. But if they are, I'm curious as to how much $$. It can be a pain. But like Radar said, the newer models are so much easier.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Oh man, Harry, I just realized your the same person I sent the instructions on how to remove the parts to get to your power outlet. This would have been the best time to change your filter with that lower cover already off. I'll get the instructions for the filter to you.
TKCR

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
On the glove box frame removal on the 2nd pdf file, you will only need to do #5. Disregard all the other steps.

Harry, now you owe me 2 beers.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The Gen-3 is very similar to the 2001 except there is no 'Glove Box Frame' bracket and no screws need to be removed at all. I had a trip over that. No screws!. The filter lid is horizontal on the Gen-3 instead of vertical as on the 2001. Otherwise it is very similar in principle.

Remove z gezinta goes outa z gezouta... :D Then ya pry z cover wit z prybar. Pop goez z weasel...

-Rg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies. SPECIAL THANKS to TKCR. If I keep asking questions eventually you will have sent me all the pictures in your manual. The last time it was done the dealer charged me $72. parts and labor, but that was a couple of years ago. I will pick up a filter and do it myself.
Later ...Harry...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Double thanks from me. Some instructions I saw (obviously not originals like yours) talked about removing the passenger dashboard lower cover without bothering to explain: A) Its not necessary and B) in Hondaspeak a "lower" cover is a right side cover.... worse than Harley-Davidson I swear. Now I'm prepared to tackle both of my '01's all by myself.

P.S. not as scary as my Pilot where I need to saw out a plastic piece behind and below the glove box when doing it for the first time..... yikes!

·
Registered
196 Posts
you got it!

Yup! Right behind the glove box!

As a word of advice from someone who has a gen 1 and has changed the filter himself: clean out your glove box BEFORE you start. I ended up with all sorts of paper, cds, and various junk on my passenger floor in my efforts to remove the glove box to access the filter. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tkcr;
I got a filter today and took out the glove box, the right side dash lower cover, removed the three screws on the right side and the top one on the left knee bolster. There are still two bolts behind the center console. There must be one more page showing how to get to those. You have sent pages 20-47, 20-49, 22-48 and 22-50 and none of these show how to get to those 2 bolts. It looks like the middle console has to come out.
Maybe my old brain is foggy and I am missing something.
Thanks;
...Harry...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Harry,
That would be the page i sent back when you had the power outlet issue. You can take it off or use a small open end wrench to get back there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tkcr;
I was able to get those 3 screws out without taking out any of the console. It was tight for my hands and awkward. Putting them back in after I changed the filter was another thing. I wedged the console cover out as far as it would go without breaking with a piece of 2 x 2 but I still hurt my fingers. You were right, I don't think the filter had ever been changed and I was charged 2 or 3 times for it. I marked this filter so that if I ever pay to have it changed again I will ask to see the old filter and it better have my mark on it.
Now I owe you 3 beers or a bottle of your favorite wine.
Thanks;
Harry

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Glad to hear you got it. I'll have to stick to the 2 beers, don't like wine and 3 beers would probably put me under the table.:eek:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You need to taste my homemade Plum wine!

Organic too! You will get a buzz from that!

I have orange and grapefruit wine too but that is made with juice from the store or from neighbor's/relative's fruit in Florida.

I only made the plum wine from my organic trees. The rest comes from relatives. You see I can only drink and cook with wine free of sulfites. So my relatives, especially my dad supplied me well. He cannot make it any more so the supply is now limited. My plum tree will be dying soon too. Thye last few years I have not had enough to make wine.

-Rg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forgot to tell y'all why I was changing the filter in the first place. I had very little air flow while on inside air, but lots on outside air so I thought the filter might be plugging up. When I pulled the glove box down I found a couple of Burger King napkins had been sucked out of the glove box and into the inside cabin AC intake. I pulled them out and the airflow was then again as strong as the outside air. While I was that far I went ahead and replaced the filter. So from now on there will be no napkins left in the glove box.
I also make my own wine. I grow muscidine grapes and they make good wine. The last few years that I made wine, I made it from Mango's. They also make excellant wine. It takes me almost a year from the time I pick the fruit until I bottle it. I rack it many times during that period.
Later ...Harry...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Grape would be nice but mango is a little pungent for me. Don't know why? My entire family loves mango. But not me. I even have to leave the room when they eat it. Not so I don't heaven, I just do not like it. I forgot the medical explanation; there actually is one.

-Rg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Radar24;
When we lived in Florida we had about 7 varieties of Mango on our property and the neighbors on both sides and the back. I am sure we could have found one that would have agreed with you. I could not stand them when we moved there as I had been introduced to the wrong kind. My neighbor convinced me to try a fressh pineapple mango of his tree. It was different than the others I had tried and was delicious. It was love of mangos from then on. During season we each ate a few each a day and I would take bags of them to work for the rest of the employees. Then I started making wine with them. I experimented with many types and mixed them. It was excellant and very high alcohol content.
Later ...Harry...

·
Registered
4 Posts
pollen filter replacement 1999 CRV

I would like instructions (photos if possible) on how to replace the pollen/cabin filter on first generation CRV. What I know so far is that it is behind the glove box.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts