Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
it worked

Thanks again for the advice. I managed to change the cabin/pollen filter. A bit difficult with the bar because I could not remove the glove box but was able to drop the bar with glove box attached and get access to the filter holder. I doubt the filter had ever been changed. It was filthy....leaves, insects, you name it! Since replacing filter air con and ventilation in general are fine (blows like a gale!). I was going to have the air con re-gassed but do not believe it necessary. I wish the filter was accessed like the second generation models i.e. no bar to contend with and a 3 minute job!

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Glad to hear you got it changed. Yeah, I'm with you on that bar, if it wasn't in the way it would be an easier change. Guess that's why the Stealership charges around $100 bucks:eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
'99 CRV - Cabin Air Filter

Anyone know how to take the glove box door off on this model so I can get to the cabin air filter? Also anything I should worry about after I get the door off?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Just changed mine today, boy was it a mess.

Was really easy to change though.

Open glovebox.

Pry out the 2 plastic/rubber clips holding the glovebox closed.

Remove the 4 black philips screws on the molding at the 4 corners of the glovebox.

Remove the 1 black philips screw on the right outside trim piece and remove plastic insert (open right side door).

Snap right side corner trim piece out.

Remove the 3 bolts on the bottom right rail (2 @ 8mm, 1 @ 10mm).

Remove the 10mm bolt on left side upper corner.

Pry center plastic out enough to remove the 2 8mm bolts behind it.

(Could have probably removed either top or bottom 10mm bolt on the left side, but the top was easier to get to.)

Unclip the wires going across.

Remove the cover and yank the old filter out.

The old filter is inside a plastic casing. Be careful when you put the new one in the plastic case as there are little tabs on the inside that the filter slides into. Also I noticed the foam around the outer edge of my case was pretty rotted and crumbling. I put it back together and it seemed ok, but be careful not to try and clean the plastic casing too much or all the outer foam might rub off.

I also had to vacuum out the compartment inside and use the previous poster's suggestion of turning the key on and running the fan for a few minutes.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Open glovebox.

Can someone PLEASE show me how to get these danged clips off in the glove box for a 2nd gen CR-V? They won't budge, and the instructions in the manual doesn't show the "15 steps" required just to get the clips off so that you can slide the glove box down out of the way. They were like welded into the glove box or something.I guess I'll have to take the glove box out from the hinges down below.

Stephanie

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
On my first gen they were easy to remove. First time I used a screwdriver to pry them out (I just wanted a peek behind it before I started taking everything apart). When I actually changed my filter, I just popped them out by hand. On mine you could look at the side outside the glovebox and see where they were snapped in. Not sure how the gen 2 gloveboxes work.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Open glovebox.

Remove the 4 black philips screws on the molding at the 4 corners of the glovebox.

Remove the 1 black philips screw on the right outside trim piece and remove plastic insert (open right side door).

Snap right side corner trim piece out.

Remove the 3 bolts on the bottom right rail (2 @ 8mm, 1 @ 10mm).

Remove the 10mm bolt on left side upper corner.

Pry center plastic out enough to remove the 2 8mm bolts behind it.

(Could have probably removed either top or bottom 10mm bolt on the left side, but the top was easier to get to.)

Unclip the wires going across.

Remove the cover and yank the old filter out.

The old filter is inside a plastic casing. Be careful when you put the new one in the plastic case as there are little tabs on the inside that the filter slides into. Also I noticed the foam around the outer edge of my case was pretty rotted and crumbling. I put it back together and it seemed ok, but be careful not to try and clean the plastic casing too much or all the outer foam might rub off.

I also had to vacuum out the compartment inside and use the previous poster's suggestion of turning the key on and running the fan for a few minutes.
Easy!? This sounds like an episode from Mission Impossible. Just to change a filter? Couldn't they make a snap open door somewhere so you could then pop out the filter? :eek::D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Easy!? This sounds like an episode from Mission Impossible. Just to change a filter? Couldn't they make a snap open door somewhere so you could then pop out the filter? :eek::D
They did make a snap open slider thing. You just have to do the above mentioned 22 step process to get to it.

It sounds hard, but is is simple and brainless and doesn't take that long to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my cabin filter from Advanced Auto and then when my husband couldn't figure out how to change it b/c it's tricky then I took it to the dealership and they had it finished in 8 minutes and didn't charge :) It hadn't been changed in 10 years

·
Registered
3 Posts
1999 Cabin Air Filter replacement

I've searched and cannot find instructions to replace the Cabin Air Filter on a 99 CRV. I located the filter, but it's behind a bunch of wires, etc. It doesn't look simple and I don't want to try it without good instructions. Is this a DIY job or let a professional do it?
TIA

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 1998 and 1999 Honda CRV with the cabin filter behind the glove box support bar. You have to taken this bar off to remove the cabin filter. Here are some pics showng how to take out. The glove box opening stops must be popped out and the trim on either side removed (may can get by with a partial trim removal) to get access to 6 screws shown below. There is one (1) 10 mm and two (2) 8 mm on each side, all have to come out. The yellow tool below at bottom is good for removing trim. I was replacing the radio so more is shown removed than necessary.

2012-12-30_15-16-41_634.jpg 2012-12-30_15-15-27_615.jpg 2012-12-30_15-15-41_561.jpg 2012-12-30_15-15-48_634.jpg 2012-12-30_15-16-26_493.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've searched and cannot find instructions to replace the Cabin Air Filter on a 99 CRV. I located the filter, but it's behind a bunch of wires, etc. It doesn't look simple and I don't want to try it without good instructions. Is this a DIY job or let a professional do it?
TIA
I did mine, It wasnt that hard but it wasnt easy either, too many screws for just a filter, couldve been much easier if it was made a little different, still not much air coming out of my vents

21 - 40 of 50 Posts