Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing that cabin noise is little bit more compared to other cars. Compared with a pilot of my friend and crv noise is significantly higher . Noise when accelerating is more bothering for me. Tried pressing gas pedal while in park and didnt add much noise. Is this just my car or in general for crv; this is my first crv. What do you guys feel about noise in your crv. Please help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's all relative. Coming from a 2003 Toyota Corolla, I find my 2017 CR-V to be whisper quiet. Comparing it to a larger, more expensive vehicle is not an adequate comparison.

I test drove the Escape, CX-3, Mazda3, RAV4 and 2016 MX-5 and found it to be very quiet in comparison, especially on back roads. I have not installed winter tires yet.

Cabin noise while idle is practically non-existent. This vehicle accelerates quietly as well. I plan to go on a road trip from Toronto to Miami in March so I will probably have a better estimate then :) enjoy your new car

·
Registered
275 Posts
Noise is going to be very much dependent on tire and road surface combination as well. Personally, I think for the class the '17 CR-V is surprisingly quiet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I test drove the Escape, CX-3, Mazda3, RAV4 and 2016 MX-5 and found it to be very quiet in comparison, especially on back roads. I have not installed winter tires yet.

Cabin noise while idle is practically non-existent. This vehicle accelerates quietly as well. I plan to go on a road trip from Toronto to Miami in March so I will probably have a better estimate then :) enjoy your new car
Top down or top up? Hahaha, not a very fair comparison. I had two Miatas and still miss them, especially my 96 with the aftermarket exhaust. My friends could hear me coming from a block away :)

Coming from a VW Jetta Sportwagen, the CR-V is like a luxury car. It is so much quieter.

As for noise under acceleration, not sure if the OP is referring to normal acceleration or hard acceleration. For me, the car is pretty quiet under normal acceleration in city driving. If I stomp on it to pass on the freeway, rev goes up and noise will go up. Pretty common and expected. I actually like it. Is the OP hearing the engine revs go up or some other type of noise? The CR-V has active noise cancellation. It's possible that may not be working.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Top down or top up? Hahaha, not a very fair comparison. I had two Miatas and still miss them, especially my 96 with the aftermarket exhaust. My friends could hear me coming from a block away :)

Coming from a VW Jetta Sportwagen, the CR-V is like a luxury car. It is so much quieter.

As for noise under acceleration, not sure if the OP is referring to normal acceleration or hard acceleration. For me, the car is pretty quiet under normal acceleration in city driving. If I stomp on it to pass on the freeway, rev goes up and noise will go up. Pretty common and expected. I actually like it. Is the OP hearing the engine revs go up or some other type of noise? The CR-V has active noise cancellation. It's possible that may not be working.
Thank you for the response. That helps.. My car (EXL) noise is all normal level at idle.. Even if I press accelerator pedal in park, it generates normal noise.. But when during normal acceleration while running , it creates more noise (kind of comparable to my friend's 12 year old camry) .. It is not road noise because as soon as I take leg off pedal, noise reduces.. What do you suggest..

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,552 Posts
Maybe, what you are hearing is induction noise?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My wife's 2015 LX is significantly more quiet than my '12 Si coupe. I agree with what others have said that tires and road surface play the biggest role in how loud your car is. If you notice a very significant change when you release the gas pedal then it does sound induction related. Have you popped the hood open to check that your intake filter cover is secure or to check out any other potential problems? Maybe the small displacement turbo is just a bit noisier than the 2.4.

·
Registered
200 Posts
It's loud and terribly designed for road noise. My guess is that it's done on purpose to give you reason to buy up.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mike, check your tire pressure. Honda's are shipped with about 40 psi tire pressure and somethings the pressures are not reduced during the PDI.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does that "active noise cancellation" seem to work to reduce noise? In fact, is it possible to tell that it's doing anything at all? It would be interesting to be able to turn it off and on while cruising on the highway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2017 CRV Touring is terribly loud inside at freeway speeds ... at Idle and in city traffic, its fine ...

Yet even on well taken care-of freeways its terribly loud in the cabin ... So loud I was concerned there may be a bearing issue with the front end ...

I've added blankets under the rear mat, thick rubber floor mats ... and its just very loud ... on a long trip its a terrible experience and the radio is barely heard.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
My 2017 CRV Touring is terribly loud inside at freeway speeds ... at Idle and in city traffic, its fine ...

Yet even on well taken care-of freeways its terribly loud in the cabin ... So loud I was concerned there may be a bearing issue with the front end ...

I've added blankets under the rear mat, thick rubber floor mats ... and its just very loud ... on a long trip its a terrible experience and the radio is barely heard.
SUVs in general are noisier than sedans. The reason --> that cavernous rear cargo area and large cargo door, which results in little noise dampening that a sedan gets from a sealed trunk.

My 2017 Touring is notably quieter than my 2008 CRV was. I will however note that the noise with the rear seat down and the cargo cover removed is notably higher compared to when seat and cargo cover are in place. Even having the cargo cover removed increases road noise.

In reality.. road surface and tires make a big difference. Both our Tourings are likely equipped with OEM Hankooks (mine is), which handle well.. but are on the noisy side on many road surfaces. For example... on freeways, which generally have water removing grooving carved into them... much noisier than when driving in good quality improved paved road surface. It's almost night and day between the two.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been noticing that cabin noise is little bit more compared to other cars. Compared with a pilot of my friend and crv noise is significantly higher . Noise when accelerating is more bothering for me. Tried pressing gas pedal while in park and didnt add much noise. Is this just my car or in general for crv; this is my first crv. What do you guys feel about noise in your crv. Please help.
did you even test both cars on the same road and same tire? You cannot make an unfair comparison like that. Plus make sure the tire is inflated to proper specs otherwise that will affect the noise of a tire.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was amazed at how much insulation is in my 2020 Touring. The area around the spare tire even has insulation packed around it. The noise on the highway is not at all bothersome for me, however it is a SUV. SUV’s and station wagons and some hatchbacks are open at the rear and I expect them to make more noise than a sedan, especially on wet roads. My 2004 Acura TSX still has it’s original muffler system and is much quieter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SUVs in general are noisier than sedans. The reason --> that cavernous rear cargo area and large cargo door, which results in little noise dampening that a sedan gets from a sealed trunk.

My 2017 Touring is notably quieter than my 2008 CRV was. I will however note that the noise with the rear seat down and the cargo cover removed is notably higher compared to when seat and cargo cover are in place. Even having the cargo cover removed increases road noise.

In reality.. road surface and tires make a big difference. Both our Tourings are likely equipped with OEM Hankooks (mine is), which handle well.. but are on the noisy side on many road surfaces. For example... on freeways, which generally have water removing grooving carved into them... much noisier than when driving in good quality improved paved road surface. It's almost night and day between the two.
I appreciate the response ... 'So its not just my sensitive ears' ... To address your comment about 'rear cargo area' I purchased a large heavy blanket inserted below the rear cover to help dampen the noise ... and on retrospective, you are right much of the noise is form my tire choice - I have slightly wider aftermarket wheels and low profile tires that look great yet result in a louder road noise ... I look to replace these tires with some rated to be quieter ... Generally speaking though, when I ask other Honda drivers [Pilot / CRV], they all agreed the road noise is higher vs. their other brand cars [Toyota, others]

Thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
7 Posts
I appreciate the response ... 'So its not just my sensitive ears' ... To address your comment about 'rear cargo area' I purchased a large heavy blanket inserted below the rear cover to help dampen the noise ... and on retrospective, you are right much of the noise is form my tire choice - I have slightly wider aftermarket wheels and low profile tires that look great yet result in a louder road noise ... I look to replace these tires with some rated to be quieter ... Generally speaking though, when I ask other Honda drivers [Pilot / CRV], they all agreed the road noise is higher vs. their other brand cars [Toyota, others]

Thanks again for the feedback

·
Registered
352 Posts
My '19 V EX is MUCH QUIETER inside than my wife's '08 Civic EX. So, no complaints at all from me.

Tires play a big role here. The tires Honda mounts on their cars are not the quietest.

Road surfaces also play a big role here. It varies greatly where I live so the noise level goes up and down on every drive but it never goes up so high that I feel disturbed by it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our 19 EX-L is quieter inside than our '13 EX-L was. We have owned Hondas for many years going back to my wife's 1977 Accord. Honda's are not known for being quiet inside. I remember reading all posts on the Odyssey forums of people using spray foam in some areas to make them quieter. The Honda Accord forums same thing. Some even resorted to completely removing the interior and adding sound deadening. Although Hondas have gotten better over the years, it's not your ears. We too find them louder than some other cars, yet we keep buying them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts