Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Compared to other vehicles in the class it's competitive but I find it loud as it replaced a Tahoe that was very quiet and it's definitely louder than my mom's Pilot. Lowering the tire pressure to spec helped and getting rid of the garbage OEM tires helped considerably but it's just a loud vehicle compared to higher end vehicles. It doesn't really bother me after a year and a half and 33k miles of driving it almost every day with multiple 450 mile trips to the DFW area and a recent 800 mile trip to KC. Though if/when I replace it I'll probably step up a class either in size or to something like the RDX.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,024 Posts
Some noise is transmitted through the body. Isolating the suspension pick-up points (through the use of larger bushings or fitting subframes) is commonly used on 'high end' cars, at the expense of handling precision.

Noise that comes from 'outside' (like tire tread hum or engine hum) can be reduced through sound insulation, but not as much as many folks want. (Again, high-end autos have more sound blanketing, even noise-reducing acoustic glass, these days)

·
Registered
495 Posts
our ex is super quiet, with the goodyears and the accord rims.
Inside the touring wheels are vibration strips to absorb the sound vs the oem crvs that had NOTHING

·
Registered
35 Posts
Compared to other vehicles in the class it's competitive but I find it loud as it replaced a Tahoe that was very quiet and it's definitely louder than my mom's Pilot. Lowering the tire pressure to spec helped and getting rid of the garbage OEM tires helped considerably but it's just a loud vehicle compared to higher end vehicles. It doesn't really bother me after a year and a half and 33k miles of driving it almost every day with multiple 450 mile trips to the DFW area and a recent 800 mile trip to KC. Though if/when I replace it I'll probably step up a class either in size or to something like the RDX.
We have a 2020 RDX and road noise is the only thing I'm not happy with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My Toyo tires and aftermarket [Momo] wheels that I purchased with a new 2016 CRV have accumulated 60,000 miles ...
So it's time for replacement tires ...

I assume new tires will help reduce the interior road noise
Great tires cost ~$200+ each [e.g., Michelin]
Of course I'm doing my research on-line yet you cant hear them on-line and on-Line feedback is always a truth gamble.

QUESTION: Anyone have a suggestion for a cheaper, quieter tire closer to $150?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the Tirerack link ... It was very useful.

I've decided to purchase General Altimax RT43 ... 235/55/18 104V XL
Very good ratings by all sites and ~$50 per tire cheaper than my 2nd choice the Michelin Defender LTX M/S ...
The Michelin's are Better tires -- yet 'Better is the Enemy of Good' in this ca$e.

New tires always reduce road noise and these certainly will be quieter than my loud 60K miles worn Toyo performance tires.

Thanks for the feedback and listening : -)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts