Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 ex awd is giving me a P0420. I put new spark plugs & coils, oil & filters to remedy the issue but at 257,000 miles...it seems to need a new cat. Dealer part costs $1,300 and there are no Ca compliant after market cats for this car. All are "no ship to Ca".
Here is the question....is there more than one Honda part number for this cat inside the U.S.?

If in fact there is only one....then wouldn't the "no ship to CA" cat work for California emissions?

I can get an after market part for 400 bucks and have it shipped to another state. My only concern is having it pass smog mid February. I realize the miles on the engine are high but i use the best synthetic oil and have that changed usually before it is time to.
I had a 1988 CRX that made 333,000 and was hoping the CR-V could match that.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I once had an '85 BMW 325e that needed a cat to pass smog.
Went to the local muffler shop and had them weld in an after market cat that they said would flow better than the stock one. Worked great for me. Have you checked your local muffler shop?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have checked many muffler shops. all of them are saying No after market part sold in Cali. They have also mentioned to check a junk yard for the cat? Today i talked to a mechanic who can get me the Honda cat at his cost $800. Ouch.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have checked many muffler shops. all of them are saying No after market part sold in Cali. They have also mentioned to check a junk yard for the cat? Today i talked to a mechanic who can get me the Honda cat at his cost $800. Ouch.
I just looked up your model, the cat is part of the down pipe assembly from the exhaust manifold, part of the reason for the $$$, $800 vs. $1100 looked pretty good from what I seen. Maybe time for a road trip out of state.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You are just going to have to buy a Honda one for $2100 installed. I had to while I traveling in Illinois 2 years ago. I couldn't get anything but a Honda OEM for a California car, even out of State . $1300 sounds way to cheap. Honda cats for an 'O2 CRV are $1800 mostly because the fore and aft fuel sensors are ported into the cat. If you put on an aftermarket cat, you will fail your smog check, since the cat stampings will be inspected first. CARB and DMV will then cause you lots of grief, maybe including a fine, and your plates will probably be suspended until the vehicle is either made compliant.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
You are just going to have to buy a Honda one for $2100 installed. I had to while I traveling in Illinois 2 years ago. I couldn't get anything but a Honda OEM for a California car, even out of State . $1300 sounds way to cheap. Honda cats for an 'O2 CRV are $1800 mostly because the fore and aft fuel sensors are ported into the cat. If you put on an aftermarket cat, you will fail your smog check, since the cat stampings will be inspected first. CARB and DMV will then cause you lots of grief, maybe including a fine, and your plates will probably be suspended until the vehicle is either made compliant.
Why would you pay someone $1000 to install a cat?
The part can be bought from an online Honda dealer for $1100 or the mechanic can purchase it for $800

·
Registered
40 Posts
A Honda Corp cat from a Honda dealer, from Honda Corp Parts, is $1800. Installation is $250. The online dealer selling Honda parts probably is not selling the OEM cat with the stampings approved in California. Same with a independent mechanic that says $800 and it's new and CARB approved. I researched all this in Illinois 2 years ago. Be glad you do not live in CA and live in terror at each biennial smog check. This is not a smog check like other States that just see if the CEL is off. If anything on the emission controls is tampered with, or modified in California, it's treated as a crime.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
A Honda Corp cat from a Honda dealer, from Honda Corp Parts, is $1800. Installation is $250. The online dealer selling Honda parts probably is not selling the OEM cat with the stampings approved in California. Same with a independent mechanic that says $800 and it's new and CARB approved. I researched all this in Illinois 2 years ago. Be glad you do not live in CA and live in terror at each biennial smog check. This is not a smog check like other States that just see if the CEL is off. If anything on the emission controls is tampered with, or modified in California, it's treated as a crime.
The correct OE part is available for less than MSRP from online Honda dealers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts