Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of painting the calipers in our '09s since they are visible through the wheels.

My dilemma--what color should I go with? Black or grey would probably look best, but it's hard to resist a color close the Honda Type R red. ? Yellow or blue would not look good, and I would prefer some sort of non-glossy finish. (Some of the paints are self-leveling, and would fill in some of the minor pits.)

Has anyone else painted their calipers? What color did you choose?

I may go with the Rust-Oleum caliper paint, unless there is a more recommended brand out there. I already have my Roloc bristle discs on hand to clean 'em up. The caliper paints require no primer, from what I have been reading.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Agree, also kinda partial to gloss red........went caliper covers though, very easy to clean.

Attachments

Reactions: Wildcat

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used G2 Caliper Paint. It is holding up really well, even after 180K miles and 13 years.
I took a look, and they offer custom color mixing to match a car's paint. At double the price though. I probably wouldn't color match unless it were something like an S2000. It is good to see yours has held up. That was one worry about the rattle can paint that I had.

@crv383 Where did you find your caliper covers?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Partial to red, myself. I used G2 Caliper Paint. It is holding up really well, even after 180K miles and 13 years. Ours is glossy (which makes it easier to clean the brake dust off)
View attachment 135348
I've decided on going the G2 route. I'm debating red, black or the darker green they have since green goes well with the "beige" (tan) and has more of an "outdoorsy" vibe to it. I can order swatches from them, and may do so before ordering. Unless a local parts store has the G2 in stock at the same price.

How much paint was left over when you were done? I'm possibly replacing my front rotors with drilled/slotted rotors that have a black zinc finish, and will probably do the rears as well. If I don't, is there enough paint left to do the "caps" on the rotors? I could use high-temp black paint if not. But if there were enough left, I'd consider using the G2 paint instead, and I'd probably skip the mounting surface to the wheel since it is not exposed. I just want to clean up the overall look.

Also, did you remove all of the hardware from the calipers first (including the caliper pins and boots), or disassemble them? I can tape off the bleeders. I'm also getting steel brake lines (arriving today) so I might completely remove the calipers anyways rather than battle trying to do them while still attached to the CR-V.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BTW, I have plenty of abrasives here (wire wheels, Roloc discs, etc.) so they'll get a thorough "de-scaling" before I start prepping them for paint.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually, I was just looking up POR-15 for some rust issues on our hoopties (POR-15 bonds with the rust), and noticed they also have a caliper kit.

I like the G2 and POR-15 caliper paints better than any of the rattle can products out there.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
How much paint was left over when you were done?
You mix the G2 with an activator prior to use, which means that you can't save it for long. But you should have enough to do the rotor hats.

Since the G2 kit includes everything you need (brushes, cleaners, gloves) and is applied with a brush, you don't need to do any masking. I never do any part of the caliper that isn't visible from the front. See my avatar...

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like the paint has held up extremely well.

I am still going to get some of the POR-15 for some other problem areas, but I like the G2 caliper paint's better selection of colors.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
It looks like the paint has held up extremely well.
The only missing paint was caused my my carelessness when rotating tires. o_O I just use a drop or two of red engine paint to touch up the chips.

You can see where I went 'outside the lines' on the second pic (painted bellows).

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My hand isn't as steady as it used to be, so I will probably be taping off quite a few things in the vicinity of the brush...including the neighbor's dog. 😁

I'm doing a few improvements since I'll probably have to hold onto one of the CR-Vs for a while yet. My big project right now is reducing noise, and have started with some Second Skin deadener. (I'm doing the rear first, since it is the most difficult with so many curves.) I'll probably take a break from that to install the new brake hoses, paint the calipers and do the front brake job (possibly with new rotors) for the time being. POR-15 on some of the underbody areas to help keep corrosion at bay. I'm trying to keep busy this summer with car projects.

Reactions: JohnTaper
1 - 12 of 12 Posts