Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just had my valve cover gasket replaced ('03 2.0L). I noticed that one lobe of the inner(side nearer the firewall) camshaft had numerous shallow holes on its surface.
I was thinking that if this was mechanical damage, the lobe surface would be grooved not pitted.
Any thoughts?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,441 Posts
The K series engines fitted to the Generation2 V use roller rocker arms rather than "slipper" followers as on previous engines. So wear or damage may look different.

Some early Elements had problems with cam surfaces that were insufficiently hardened. Either Lizzurd can comment, or you could call a dealer.

Got any pictures???

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
The K series engines fitted to the Generation2 V use roller rocker arms rather than "slipper" followers as on previous engines. So wear or damage may look different.

Some early Elements had problems with cam surfaces that were insufficiently hardened. Either Lizzurd can comment, or you could call a dealer.

Got any pictures???

I haven't seem this first hand at our shop. We did have a few reports over at the EOC but one poster decided to wipe out most of his posts that had some good info on camshaft issues.

I will take a look when i get home later to sse if i can dig up some other posts.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I set the tappets and checked the cam last year on our 2005 CRV. I think I will pull the cover and check the #1 exhaust lobe before winter. Exhaust lobe has to open both exhaust valves so has a fairly high load on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. Looks like metal failure on the lobe. Disappointing though since I only have 81000 km on the clock.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I checked my camshaft yesterday and it looked ok. The #4 exhaust lobe had a slight narrow gray strip in the centre ( about 1/32" wide) Not sure what caused that but the rest of the lobe was good - maybe a small piece of metal got between the roller and cam and scratched it. I don't believe in the long periods between oil changes since it can shorten cam life as well as cause excess wear on the timing chain. The action on the roller on the cam can cause a different type of failure which is scalloping effect as you have found - sure sucks doesn't it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts