Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing the camshafts on my b20Z2 CRV engine(1999) and forgot what and where the seals go. I know and have the oil seals for the timing gear end of the cam, but what about the other side? the side where the distributor goes? I forgot what, if any, seals go on that end of the shaft...I know it gets a cap, but what about seals? are there any oil seals that go on the ends of the camshafts on the distibutor side?

Any help is appreciated....I just wish I took pictures before I took out the old or made notes....It's been so long before I got another chance to work on the CRV that I forgot where things go!...

Thanks a lot.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On second thought.....I'm going to scrap this thing out..... I've put too much into it and it isn't going anywhere. I've already got the doors, hood and rear axle assembly out. Probably use the profits for a down payment on a newer one....or a Ford Ranger, lol.

Kinda sad....the main body is really nice shape....oh well.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
On second thought.....I'm going to scrap this thing out..... I've put too much into it and it isn't going anywhere. I've already got the doors, hood and rear axle assembly out. Probably use the profits for a down payment on a newer one....or a Ford Ranger, lol.

Kinda sad....the main body is really nice shape....oh well.
If you change your mind . I can post a link to where the seals or o-rings go. I can also PM you where you can get a Service Manual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you change your mind . I can post a link to where the seals or o-rings go. I can also PM you where you can get a Service Manual.
I did change my mind, lol. Got frustrated and decided to scrap it, but I recently came across a 2000 EX, AWD with 73,000 miles on it. The person died a few years prior and it had sat in the garage since. They recently decided to sell it off, because the old man couldn't drive manual transmission. I drove it home.

It's a Silver 2000 CR-V, manual transmission, 73,000 miles with a factory roof rack and electric sun roof. I checked it out and apparently this one has every single option you could get for the EX. Only some minor rust on the door edges and the front of the hood. The thing drives like new and runs smooth....I drive it on every nice day we get(winter now) so it mostly sits. This spring I want to tend to the rust and get that under control....it isn't bad, but it needs to be fixed....this CR-V drives too nice to let rust kill it. Interior is like new, factory guides and repair reciepts, Jack and tools still in the right spot....spare tire is still new.....The tire cover had never been off I think....it cracked trying to peel it off the tire it been on so long. Also a 1 owner. I go tit for 1,200 dollars even so I'm pretty happy.

I put up a video earlier, but took it down.... I'l do another later.

Anyways I do like driving the CR-V....the manual transmission is grate and power is pretty good.. Still have the rust free 1999 CR-V also....new head on it and going to try and finish that project later.... So yes I have two CRV now and both silver and one runs great.....for 1,200 it was a steal IMO.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I agree with you. The 73,000 miles you got is a steal. Its very rare you find a manual CRV in that era. I will PM you the link where you can download the manual.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a one owner, old person car, but apparently they never washed it off, because of the moderate rust along all the door edges and around the rear fender wells. It isn't bad, but it does need to be repaired in which I plan to do. It runs really well and drives straight....shifts great so no sense letting the body rust anymore.

It's weird, because you'd think it had 173,000 to look at it, but it is only 73,000. I confirmed the mileage three ways...so. They just never took care of the body and it has some minor to moderate rust....still looks good though....not a total rust bucket, just enough to where it really should be taken care of. It's probably why I got it for 1,200.00 otherwise if the body was rust free, it would of been a 4,200.00 dollar CRV.

The tailgate was stuck shut also....I got that freed up, had to take off the inner panels and lube up the mechanism....to get it free. I don't think these people even opened the tailgate...ever. The original spare is still in place with the original cover that says "Honda CR-V" It was dry rotted to the tire and I had to rip it off. The spare obviously never been off the rack.

The good is it was garage kept and mechanically taken care of. I found genuine Honda repair garage receipts inside....one was for some clutch work....It lookes like they took care of it as far as mechanics, but they never washed the salt and snow off in the winter. Just parked it inside and left it.

The woman died and it sat in the garage for 4 years before the old man decided to have his friend come over and get it out of there....told him to sell it for him.

If it had 173,000 and was automatic I probably wouldn't of bought it, but being 5 speed and low mileage, ran great plus an electric moon roof, nice interior....I couldn't resist even with the ugly rust.

It's currently on the road, all insured and everything, but I only take it out when we get dry roads.....I don't want to get it even more rusty this winter before I get the body work done. I plan to get the 1999 LX automatic running too..... Been so busy, but it isn't going anywhere....the 1999 LX has a rust free body. Anyways it would be nice to have two, fully running vintage CR-V.... I barely any money into them either....Under 2,400 dollars as of now and one of them I can drive....passed inspection and everything.

Working on a video and some pics soon.....weather is so crap right now.

It's going into the body shop in a month where me and my buddy will start removing the rust and doing a total paint job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts