Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Brand new CRV owner here. Am I crazy - what is the fuel gauge telling me? I have 274 miles so it should say roughly 1/2 or a little less. This was taken in my garage not in sunlight and the display brightness is one from the top (brightest). Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
1,035 Posts
Brand new CRV owner here. Am I crazy - what is the fuel gauge telling me? I have 274 miles so it should say roughly 1/2 or a little less. This was taken in my garage not in sunlight and the display brightness is one from the top (brightest). Am I missing something?
As stated above, you are a little less than full. You are showing an average of 23.2 mpg which on a full 14.0 gallon tank will give you a range of 325 miles. You’ve probably consumed about 2 - 3 gallons of the 14. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Miles per gallon will have a wide range. For my 2018 touring I can get 36mpg if I do a long stretch at 45mph without stopping. Highway at 75 to 80mph gets me 30~32mpg, highway at 55/65 usually gets 34~35mpg. Short trips while in stop and go traffic can be a low 19mpg to 23mpg. You have around 11 to 12 gallons in a full tank so your range will mpg you get on ur commute × tank capacity. My range on a full tank is around 420miles.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
So.. average fuel economy currently shows 23.2 with a range to empty of 274 and a fuel gauge showing below full, from what I can see in your photo.

So.. a few baselines first.

A Honda will generally tell you 0 miles remaining at roughly the point where the low fuel warning comes on.. which means there is ~ 2 to 2.5 gallons left in the tank.

At 23.2 mpg, you should get ~ 322 miles from a full tank until the tank is empty. By the same estimation approach, that means when your distance to empty reaches 0 miles (and still 2 gallons left in the tank as a hidden reserve on Honda's part).. you would normally run around 275 miles between refueling.

The fuel gauge is NOT truly linear in the gen5 CRV. It will decrease more rapidly as it moves below 3/4 full even though your mpg may still be stable. It also will not begin to fall off of full-peg at all until you put 30-60 miles of driving on a full tank. I would say it is fairly accurate from when it begins to fall below full tank-ping and down to half a tank. Beyond that, in my experience the second half of the tank falls faster, so clearly not a linear meter. But it is a fuel indicator, it does not have to be linear, only consistent.

So.. with these understandings in mind... I believe your real question is.... is your gauge working correctly or not? Right?

Well, distance to empty suggests you are about 15% consumed from a full tank, and your fuel gauge indeed shows roughly the same you are down ~1/8 of a tank.

Your gauge has a red top mark and lighter secondary marks underneath it... to create a visual image of a vertical bar with a bent knee in how it is portrayed. Yes.. the red tick mark is your current fuel level according to the vehicle. Yes you should have light tick marks underneath all the way to empty (in 2017s, all bars are white, we did not get the top red bar).

Now, you are concerned that the red tick mark does not move at all, I believe was your comment? That would NOT be normal. It should move up or down depending on the level of fuel in the tank. So.. if you were to drive until your low fuel light came on (roughly 2 gallons left) I would expect to see the red mark at the bottom near zero fuel mark (which is really a 2 gallons left mark). Then when you refuel it should be pegged at the top of the meter. So.. does it behave like that for you? If so.. all is normal. It can be hard to see small moves in real time on your fuel meter unless you are on a long road trip... so testing working of your meter from a full fuel cycle and refill would clearly indicate if the meter is working correctly or not. If not.. then straight to the dealer you go as that would indicate a bad fuel level sensor or a bad meter.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,029 Posts
Also, never go by the milage you get in the begining as normal. I wouldn't even start to check gas milage figures until at least 1000 miles. Your best figures won't be see til you have at least 2000 on the odometer. It's called a break in period. My wife also has a hard time reading the gas gauge. Myself it's clear as can be.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
4,257 Posts
Also, never go by the milage you get in the begining as normal. I wouldn't even start to check gas milage figures until at least 1000 miles. Your best figures won't be see til you have at least 2000 on the odometer. It's called a break in period.
Generally what you say is normal.
But I didn't see any difference from the git go to 6000 miles (present).
This may be because of the way the Hybrid's drive train uses the ICE, in fact it almost certainly is.
The biggest factor affecting my mileage is the outside temp. If I need cabin heat I can only get it at the cost of mileage.
But I have heated seats, and an N3B Parka, I don't use much heat.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, that may be normal. But I agree -- the normal state of the fuel (and temperature) gauges is very difficult to read in my opinion. As in, I need to look at the gauge and think for a second before my mind processes it. My old Civic had gauges with big red needles/pointers that were far easier to see and interpret without thinking about it. Maybe I just need to get used to the new style, but I wanted to mention to OP that you're not the only one with a new CR-V who is finding the fuel gauge a tad confusing.

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Yes, that may be normal. But I agree -- the normal state of the fuel (and temperature) gauges is very difficult to read in my opinion. As in, I need to look at the gauge and think for a second before my mind processes it. My old Civic had gauges with big red needles/pointers that were far easier to see and interpret without thinking about it. Maybe I just need to get used to the new style, but I wanted to mention to OP that you're not the only one with a new CR-V who is finding the fuel gauge a tad confusing.
Speaking of converting from Old School to New School instruments, I've heard a few complaints about the digital-only speedo in the hybrid.
I'm fine with it myself.
I haven't had any trouble reading the fuel gauge, but I pay more attention to the "miles to empty" on my dash (a Honda Hack thing) than I do the gas gauge.
Much below 200 miles and I start looking for a station, but I'm paranoid. :)
When I was initially adjusting the seat, I did note that the readability of those dials was effected by the seat height more than I would have expected.
But the seat doesn't move now that I have a good spot.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,070 Posts
If you have never had a car tell you it's range, you'll quickly discover you rely on that more than the fuel gauge. There's a reserve at zero miles, which I have gone into on one occasion, but I don't recommend it.

Recommend you order the paper manual from Honda.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V Touring Modern Steel
64 Posts
Being as you show 274 miles left and your odometer reads 99 miles =373 miles, it is a fair assumption that it is working properly. As others have stated, mileage should improve with time.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,075 Posts
It's now a digital world. What you see isn't really there unless the power is turned on. Same with computers, phones, TVs,...

·
Registered
16 Posts
On our 2017 CRV EX, our low fuel warning light comes on at, exactly, 40 miles left, according to the projected range shown. We rarely wait, until the warning light goes on, to get gas.

·
Super Moderator
4,257 Posts
Here's a thought, for the OP:
Are you by any chance wearing polarized lenses?
Just a thought. This issue comes up with pilots a lot (small "p", not the Honda).
I don't think that fuel gauge is an LCD, but it might be.
I'm pretty sure mine is an LCD (hybrid). I don't have the red segment at the top, and the way it flashes on start I don't think it's one of those "wheel" things.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,029 Posts
Personally the digital speedo in Honda is one of the things I love. Going back to my '03 Accord. When I drive something else w/ analog speedo, I find myself going faster than I should.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts