Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since having the transmission replaced on my 2015 CR-V, my battery has intermittently drained to the point of the car not starting. I had removed the negative contact to reset the computer (to hopefully solve an issue with the car not turning off completely) and had not tightened it enough, which AAA did for me. Unfortunately, the battery did die again two weeks later (after six days of not driving). It was a two year old battery but I just replaced it. However, I can not tighten or loosen the bolt that tightens the negative contact, no matter how much force I give it. The T shaped piece at the bottom moves when I turn the bolt but nothing changes if I hold that with pliers. As a result, while the contact does fit around the negative terminal, there is some play if I move the cable around.

I am not sure if a bad connection is causing the issue and, unfortunately, my dealer in another state is inaccessible due to state of emergency orders. Any suggestions to fix myself?

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
Stick a big flat-blade screwdriver in the vertical slot and wiggle the screwdriver. By doing this, you're trying to push the two sides apart.

Also, it doesn't look like a standard Honda cable. Usually, Honda's have cheesy steel band clamps on the battery-end of the two cables.

·
Registered
655 Posts
A trick I’ve used successfully when a battery cable bolt can’t be tightened to get you by in a pinch, is to simply pull it off the battery and press it back down , upside down, hard, while twisting back and forth. The 2 tapers will be opposite and the cable end lead will deform halfway down the battery lead terminal before it bottoms out. I ran a machine like that for 2 years because I forgot about it. Once you get a new bolt and cable end you might want to swap it out

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tried the shim, which was too wide for the contact. However, using a ratchet set to loosen and re-tighten it worked, even though it felt like the socket was skipping over the head of the bolt at times. Something must have been out of alignment.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
545 Posts
Also, it doesn't look like a standard Honda cable. Usually, Honda's have cheesy steel band clamps on the battery-end of the two cables.
My oem battery post looks exactly like that. So it is oem cable and clamp.
One thing I always do is put some dielectric grease to the post to prevent future corrosion.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,580 Posts
Tried the shim, which was too wide for the contact. However, using a ratchet set to loosen and re-tighten it worked, even though it felt like the socket was skipping over the head of the bolt at times. Something must have been out of alignment.
Be careful with that "cheap" clamp, it has two sensors in it for current and temperature...it costs $74. Also never try to take the nut off the bolt. The threads at the end of the bolt are distorted to prevent the nut from vibrating off. However if you force the nut off you may never get it to thread back on. Also the nut is 10mm were you using an SAE socket which might explain why it was slipping.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Be careful with that "cheap" clamp, it has two sensors in it for current and temperature...it costs $74. Also never try to take the nut off the bolt. The threads at the end of the bolt are distorted to prevent the nut from vibrating off. However if you force the nut off you may never get it to thread back on. Also the nut is 10mm were you using an SAE socket which might explain why it was slipping.
Didn't remove the nut, so we're good there. I was using a 10 mm socket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts