Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlamps are getting cloudy and I have a lead to get a pair of clear headlamps out of a 2006 but was wondering if the wiring would fit due to the slightly different internal design?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
And if it's just the plastic lens that's cloudy on the outside you can clear them up using Meguiar's PlastX plastic polish.

I did the ones on an earlier CR-V I owned using PlastX, a Mother's PowerBall, an electric drill, and some painters tape to mask the bumper and paint sections next to the headlight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I find the plastic polish only lasts a little while and its back to being cloudy again, and when I can get new lens for nearly the same cost as the polish replacing the headlamps seem like less hassle. Except for this case where the wiring doesn't match up.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I've heard some people have had luck with polishing and then spraying the lenses with clear coat. I never had to clear coat mine.

I checked one of my favorite online parts sites, and new OE headlights are going for US $263 each.

I also checked eBay, and there is a pair of headlights for 2002-2004 CR-Vs for US $73.50 with free shipping.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Just buy the 3M lens renewal kit and sealer. Takes about an hour or so to do and lights are like new.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I found several versions of the 3M kits, some included "renewal" in the name and some included "restoration".

3M 39008 Headlight Restoration System - US $10.50 - includes sanding disks and polishing pad with compound. The front has the text "Requires a Household Drill" in white lettering on a red strip.

3M 39164 Headlight Restoration Kit - US $19.99 - also says it includes sanding disks and polishing pad with compound. Also includes 3M Synthetic Wax Protectant to apply to the lens after use the sandpaper and polish. Includes a round device your hold in your hand that the sandpaper and polishing pads adhere to. Also has a note on the box that says "Heavier duty headlight lens restoration may require the use of a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit with drill-activated sanding."

3M 39165 Headlight Restoration Kit with Drill-Activated Sanding - US $33.99 - different box than the "Restoration System" at triple the price.

And there are several other 3M kits with different numbers (and prices).

And of course everyone and their neighbor has released headlight restoration/restoring kits, including Meguiar's (multiple kits), Mothers, Sylvania, Griot's, Turtle Wax, Wipe New, and a Rustoleum branded version of the Wipe New product with "Rustoleum" added to the package text, several kits from Yellow Off, Rain-X, and several odd names like RestoraLens, Izndeal, Visbella, VVViVid, and Winner Industrial Supply.

A few of the kits even included a role of tape to mask off the areas around the headlights.

Good luck! ?

·
Registered
2018 Honda CR-V EX-L Lunar Silver
137 Posts
I've used the polish (lasted me about 6 months), polish with lacquer spray (lasted about a year), and chinese replacements (still going strong). I recommend replacing with new. Whether OEM or other doesn't seem to matter. These are southern NM and TX results.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I found several versions of the 3M kits, some included "renewal" in the name and some included "restoration".

3M 39008 Headlight Restoration System - US $10.50 - includes sanding disks and polishing pad with compound. The front has the text "Requires a Household Drill" in white lettering on a red strip.

3M 39164 Headlight Restoration Kit - US $19.99 - also says it includes sanding disks and polishing pad with compound. Also includes 3M Synthetic Wax Protectant to apply to the lens after use the sandpaper and polish. Includes a round device your hold in your hand that the sandpaper and polishing pads adhere to. Also has a note on the box that says "Heavier duty headlight lens restoration may require the use of a 3M Headlight Restoration Kit with drill-activated sanding."

3M 39165 Headlight Restoration Kit with Drill-Activated Sanding - US $33.99 - different box than the "Restoration System" at triple the price.

And there are several other 3M kits with different numbers (and prices).

And of course everyone and their neighbor has released headlight restoration/restoring kits, including Meguiar's (multiple kits), Mothers, Sylvania, Griot's, Turtle Wax, Wipe New, and a Rustoleum branded version of the Wipe New product with "Rustoleum" added to the package text, several kits from Yellow Off, Rain-X, and several odd names like RestoraLens, Izndeal, Visbella, VVViVid, and Winner Industrial Supply.

A few of the kits even included a role of tape to mask off the areas around the headlights.

Good luck!
Ya I forgot they had multiple kits and such. There is pretty much just one available at parts stores here. But I was wrong, it's restoration (i got the drill version).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
My headlamps are getting cloudy and I have a lead to get a pair of clear headlamps out of a 2006 but was wondering if the wiring would fit due to the slightly different internal design?
Try headlightsdepot.com. I have a 2003 CRV, and the headlight assembly cost about $50-55.
It came with the main bulbs; I used the other 2 from the old headlamp.
Took me about 4-6 hours, primarilyily because I'm not a mechanic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts