Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Wife & I just purchased a 2016 CR-V EX yesterday(our second one, as we also already own a 2011). However, as many "bells & whistles" as the EX had, it did NOT have the navigation app on the touchscreen DA. Is it possible to have the factory one added? I've already researched the suggest HondaLink Navigation app with iPhone for $60, but the reviews are atrocious.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS: Worst case scenario, we just continue to use our phone's GPS with a phone mount. But the thought of an on-screen navigation IS cool.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Yes, but it's absurdly expensive since it requires replacing your current head unit (aka radio) with the Navigation system. The list price of the navigation system is US $4,711.52.

If you really want a big touch screen navigation system figure $300+ depending on what you decide on.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My Wife & I just purchased a 2016 CR-V EX yesterday(our second one, as we also already own a 2011). However, as many "bells & whistles" as the EX had, it did NOT have the navigation app on the touchscreen DA. Is it possible to have the factory one added? I've already researched the suggest HondaLink Navigation app with iPhone for $60, but the reviews are atrocious.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS: Worst case scenario, we just continue to use our phone's GPS with a phone mount. But the thought of an on-screen navigation IS cool.
One option would be to buy a good used navigation unit from the higher trim vehicle, same year online, etc., but another option that could actually be very cost effective if you do some of the same homework in my next suggestion.

Another potential option is you can purchase a "remanufactured head unit" from a Honda dealership (if they can't order one, they can send it out for repairs to the factory that made the unit. That would be TSB 06-001).

The trick here is you need a OEM navigation unit as a core from the exact trim CR-V of the same year of your vehicle to return as a core.

The core can be in ANY CONDITION (i.e. try to find a "nonfunctional" one on the real cheap ?) and now you have a core!

You'll need the GPS antenna as well (have the dealership look up the price of the Navigation Test Antenna... a much much better option for antenna placement since it has a 20' lead and similar cost).

Price all this out before hand as well as making sure all the connections and pinouts match (ask your dealership if they would be kind enough to print out the EWD schematics for yours and the navi trim and go one-pin-at-a-time to be sure, but the "reman units" are high quality, can be affordable and have a12 month warranty.

Then there's always the Crutchfield, "turn key" solution if this is all too much drama ?

Cheer!

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I would not advise the attempt, as the biggest problem would be that the wiring harnesses and peripheral components are different and would be prohibitively complex to convert. This includes the GPS unit, the steering wheel control differences, the overhead mic, the amp and sub, etc. It would be much easier to just go aftermarket, especially considering the relatively poor quality of the OEM head unit. The least expensive option would be an external dash-mounted nav unit. Outside that, aftermarket head units are far better quality. Go to crutchfield.com to learn more.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Absolutely. Get the latest wireless carplay head unit instead. You'll have much better navigation mirrored from your phone. You'll also get unlimited audio upgrade possibilities and most units support your steering wheel buttons.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would not advise the attempt, as the biggest problem would be that the wiring harnesses and peripheral components are different and would be prohibitively complex to convert. This includes the GPS unit, the steering wheel control differences, the overhead mic, the amp and sub, etc. It would be much easier to just go aftermarket, especially considering the relatively poor quality of the OEM head unit. The least expensive option would be an external dash-mounted nav unit. Outside that, aftermarket head units are far better quality. Go to crutchfield.com to learn more.
@kloker: I absolutely agree the Crutchfield option would be simpler and likely less expensive direction assuming you couldn't find a dirt cheap navi core unit, but in reference to all the items you listed as a impediments, you may want to do your homework before you make those claims.

I'm working from a position of extreme familiarity with this particular system and if you actually spend the time looking into each of you allegation you might be very surprised how mistaken you are.

@JerseyJeff84: In this forum as in many if not most, you will experience an extreme range of opinion and hyperbole. Depending on your skill sets, desire, access, urgency, motivation, etc., you will find a wealth of knowledge and amongst it all, lots of truth.

As I've stated before, if the homework is done and the fundamental costs of your time+materials are factored and they are acceptable to you, the conversion can be done and with far easier integration than you might imagine, but this is your path to walk.

I'll let my input on this topic rest now...

Cheers

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
@BigMo: Oh, I've done my homework, and the actual work itself, and plenty of it. While your method is certainly possible, the end result is that you end up with an OEM system of far lower quality. There is a mountain of evidence of that right here on this forum. Aftermarket is far superior in every way. Higher end audio circuitry and componentry, better sound, far more features and variable options, actual programmability, etc. There's no comparison, really, the sky's the limit. Of course, that goes for cost, too. But why would you expend all that money and effort just to wind up with mediocre OEM quality sound, function, and reliability as an end result? I very much think I am not mistaken. No offense intended, of course.

@mrtn: The thing about that mirroring for phone apps is that it requires paying for unlimited plans, and also total cell tower coverage, to work. For many folks, in urban areas, this is quite the ticket. Not so much, though, in more rural areas and for long distance travel, where tower coverage is spotty at best. For those folks the aftermarket head units are available with built-in navigation systems that don't rely on a cell phone. As far as other functions, like music, that's covered, too. While I can carry 200Gb of music on my cell phone (I have a large music collection), I could also connect a USB external SSD to the right aftermarket head unit, and not have a need to even connect the phone, for anything other than hands-free phone use. Which is my goal. IMO, cell phones are phones, and exist in this world to be used as, you guessed it, phones. I use mine for calls, and have no wish to find myself having to rely on it for anything else, as it is not the best device for any other function in life. Luckily the trend is finally passing, albeit slowly. But all that is another story entirely, eh?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
@mrtn: The thing about that mirroring for phone apps is that it requires paying for unlimited plans, and also total cell tower coverage, to work. For many folks, in urban areas, this is quite the ticket. Not so much, though, in more rural areas and for long distance travel, where tower coverage is spotty at best.
Okay, got it. Living in crowded Europe I haven't really seen a place with no cell/data coverage for the last decade. Also, unlimited cell plans are pretty much free (€15/mo).

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
Wow! Nice! My unlimited plan was $107 a month! I had them cap it to 1Mb, and I hardly use half of that now, as I'm retired. My bill is now $61 a month. Also, tower coverage is still somewhat sparse. One thing about Texas is that there are miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles. So there are still a lot of blank spots in coverage. Heck, when I got my first cell, I dropped calls all the time in my house! But now there's a 250' tower a quarter mile behind us here. But, the population of Austin has more than tripled since I moved in 23 years ago. At the time, I was on the edge of town. Now I can't get out the gate!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
One thing about Texas is that there are miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles.
A few years ago...okay, many years ago...I flew into Amarillo, Texas and drove to Clovis, New Mexico.

What I clearly remember is miles and miles of cows.
All of them facing the highway, and staring at me as I drove by.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
A few years ago...okay, many years ago...I flew into Amarillo, Texas and drove to Clovis, New Mexico.

What I clearly remember is miles and miles of cows.
All of them facing the highway, and staring at me as I drove by.
I went to high school in Amarillo, and in the summer of my senior year, I had my first truck driving job, hauling dead cows to Clovis, at night. It was not a fun job. I don't know if the cows in the fields stared at us or not. It's hard to tell in the dark. But I wouldn't worry too much about staring cows. I grew up around them, and I can tell you they are stupid. Not angry, or vengeful. Just stupid. And lazy, too. Plus fat, stinky, and heavy. I worked in the feed lots, worked on a ranch in the Cimarron Canyon, etc. If a cow is staring at you, she's just looking to see if you have any cow treats in your pockets. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Since the 2015-2016 can use a double-DIN head unit, I'd recommend swapping out the Honda head unit for an aftermarket--money-wise, it makes a lot more sense, since the cost of OEM radios is outrageous, and OEM navigation is rock bottom in quality compared to something like Google Maps (which are continually updated, plus you have live traffic data). With the right dash kit (Metra and Scosche sell them) and harnesses, it can be as easy as plugging it in. You may need an adapter to retain the steering wheel controls--Crutchfield would be your best bet, although they are more expensive than everyone else. I put a Pioneer 4200NEX in my '09 and haven't regretted it. There was even room to put a small Kenwood 4x50W class D amplifier inside the dash. Nice rig for the money!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts