Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I am thinking of buying a 2004 Honda CR-V EX with 108000 miles on it from my friend's co-worker. I am bringing the car to a Honda mechanic before buying it but have a question for CR-V owners out there with the similar mileage.

The seller bought the car 2 years ago with 80000 miles on it and said he never had any issue with the A/C. He is the second owner of the car and couldn't speak of the former (first) owner's experience (he bought it from a used car dealer).

There are many CR-V owners with A/C issues, but also some owners don't have any A/C issues. I wonder if it is solely depending on one's luck to have the A/C problem and no Honda mechanic can foresee the problem when they inspect a CR-V.

I know I can't expect a car to be completely problem-free since its mileage is high, but I wonder if there is any way a mechanic can detect any upcoming issues with an A/C in a CR-V.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have been doing auto air for 20+ years and I know of no way to determin a way to detect compressor failure before it blows. The biggest help you could do is to have it checked for the amount of refrigerent to see if the unit is full. The biggest failure happens when the system has a very small leak and it is not cought and the oil and refrigerent get low and before you know it there is not enough oil left in the system.................then is when the trouble all starts along with a big investment!!!!!
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Steve, what kind of oil do you recommend to add along with the freon to help re-lubricate the seals? This is for a 1998 Pontiac using the newer type of freon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
don't do it, that's right around the time they go out, unless it comes with a warranty or your willing to dish out another 2000-3500 to replace the system, stay away. one other alternative is if you know it's the original stuff and it's still in good working order, just have the compressor replaced before it grenades and contaminates the whole system. I take good care of my 06 crv. do all the services and up keep and my ac went out, I am livid that Honda profits on selling replacement parts for this, I always buy factory parts but I refuse to give them money for this, I am going to do the work myself with aftermarket parts, if that doesn't work I'm selling the car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts