Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware of the 1,500 / 150 lb tow and tongue limits. I don't intend on towing anything - just want to use my current bike rack that I used on previous vehicle. I need a 2" reciever so I believe I need to go with a class III. There's several websites with dozens of hitch options. The eTrailer site has my attention. Before I purchase, I was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with installation and subsequent use of a hitch they would like to recommend? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I installed the Curt Class III on my 2013. eTrailer is a good supplier. Very happy with hitch. DIY install pretty simple.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
jimirb - How far past the bumper does that hitch of yours extend, if at all?
I'd love to put a hitch on ours but my wife doesn't want a knee knocker either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Curt 13119 class III on my wife's 2012. It doesn't really extend past the bumper at all, but I added a rubber hitch cover just in case.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also am looking for a trailer hitch to pull a small tent camper (900 - 1200 lbs) and will also need wiring for the trailer. The dealer told me U Haul when I casually asked about it last year.

Any different suggestions than what is already posted (since I'll be actually towing something)? Folks, that have used Uhaul, are you happy with the result? Suggestion on wiring kits, if I decide to do it myself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a U Haul hitch installed on another vehicle a few years ago and never got over the big "U Haul" decal the hitch came with. :)

I think I've read more negatives than positives in this forum about U Haul installations on the CRV....mostly about simply not replacing the plastic shield that must be removed, cut and replaced when the hitch is installed. (I'd save the piece that's cut out to epoxy back in myself to keep as much debris as possible away from the undercarriage.)

I suggest having a CLEAR understanding with any installer about every detail of the install and the removal of the interior panels to expose the wiring. Also, how the wiring harness exits the vehicle.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Whitewaterwendy, you didn't say what year you own. Uhaul installers vary from good to careless. If you have good basic set of tools, an extra person to help lift and basic DIY skills, installation is often easy for most generations. E-trailer has great videos and their plug and play wiring solutions are better than the splicing method many installers use.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the quality of the Curt hitch I got from eTrailer is superior to the uHaul hitch I had installed on my Element.

I had problems with the hitch wiring that uHaul installed on the Element. Their wiring warranty is not lifetime. I replaced the converter once. The second time it went faulty, I ripped out the uHaul wiring and replaced it with a harness from eTrailer that plugged into Honda's wiring. That was the end to my wiring issues.

Check out the wiring harness on eTrailer.com. It is fairly simple to install and you won't have wiring zip-tied along the bottom of the vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts