Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Can DRL daytime running lights be OEM added or enabled?

8K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Lochinvar 
#1 ·
I've read a number of existing threads on this topic, but I haven't found any definitive answer if the US 2005/2006 LX CR-V has the pre-existing capability to enable DRL (daytime running lights). It appears that DRLs were available and enabled in other markets such as Canada for these year models.

I've seen some documentation about an OEM DRL module that suggests the module can be ordered for our 2006 CR-V, but I'm not sure if the under dash connector and associated wiring is pre-existing.

Does anyone know if a US spec CR-V LX can have DRLs OEM enabled by just ordering and installing an OEM DRL module under the dash, and perhaps installing a fuse, or.... ?

Thanks!

#2 ·
The 2006 Owners Manual shows a couple of different fuses for DRL, but of course nothing about the DRL module, or modules. I did some searching and found a replacement DRL module, but the description suggested it was a replacement for one of the DRL modules, and to confirm that the original module was the one that wasn't working.

Why not just turn your headlights on?

#6 ·
Yes, it's a bit of an annoyance.

And I'm assuming the OP want's DRLs on his CR-V that didn't come with DRLs for safety reasons.
Since I have yet to find anyway to add DRLs to his CR-V, the next best solution is to just turn on the headlights.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks, yes I want to enable the DRLs for safety, for our son who is driving the CR-V as his car away at school in the foggy/rainy mountains. In addition the Silver Moss Metallic color is nigh invisible against many backgrounds.

Yes he could just turn on the headlights, but he may forget or get out of the habit, and it would just be convenient to have the DRLs on automatically.

Plus the CR-V doesn't turn off the headlights automatically like our Pilot does, so he can't just leave the headlights turned on when he gets out of the car.

I've seen the empty 7.5A fuse in the small fuse box in the engine bay for the DRLs, and also the availability of the "DRL module" as a replacement part. Obviously I can put a 7.5A fuse in, but wonder if the wiring is there and the connector for wherever that DRL module plugs in.

Thanks!

#9 ·
The following DRL module repair video does a great job of showing where the DRL module and connector are located under the dash. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if the connector seems to be there available and unused.

#12 ·
Firstly, you should always turn on your headlights manually whenever driving in rain or fog. Some States, including California, require you to turn your headlights on whenever any weather condition impairs visibility.

The reason for this is that you want your car to be seen from behind as well as from in front if visibility is limited. If your tail lights are not on, somebody may not see your car from behind and crash into you.

This is particularly important in the rain because the water spraying up off your rear wheels in the rain will be the same color as your silver paint. The water you are you driving over will literally hide your car from view if your lights are off.

That being said, the factory service manuals for these cars usually include Canadian and US models. Daytime running lights are required equipment in all Canadian vehicles manufactured in 1995 or later.

What you can do is to compare the wiring diagrams and component layout between the Canadian and US models, and identify what parts have to be replaced to add the Canadian daytime running light system. You might have to replace a wiring harness or two, as well as installing the DRL relay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.