Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member here so be gentle w/me. Long time Honda customer but purchased my first CRV last month, a 2016 EX AWD. Love it so far but I do a question that I hope someone can help me with. The day after my purchase my sales guy called to see if I wanted to buy a combo usb/hmdi cord for $99. My trim package did not include the navigation system. My sales guy said that this cord would enable me to (among other things) view google maps and WAZE on the cars display screen. Has anyone figured out a cheaper way to let me do this ?

·
Registered
141 Posts
This topic has actually been discussed (to death!). See here
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/20-mobile-electronics/69074-2015-honda-cr-v-hdmi.html

Specifically, see post #101 in that thread.

(There’s also Youtube tutorial videos if you search there)

All you need is a phone that can output HDMI and you need the HDMI cable to connect your phone to the car’s HDMI port.

Give it a shot. But you’ll probably find that it’s not an ideal solution for various reasons which you’ll inevitably discover…

·
Registered
381 Posts
You'd also only need the $99 cable for iphones, not any other brands. Android models etc can do it with the standard USB wire.

It shuts off as soon as you move with just about any nav app, but the one they sell. (but there is a hack mentioned above)

It comes down to the screen on the cars resolution is much lower than that of your smartphone, also. For me, I just got a nice lil bracket and use my smartphone to use Waze, on its high res screen. I have the touring, but hate the built in nav s/w. It is painful to set and use the Honda nav, IMO :)

Good luck!
Rhody

·
Registered
381 Posts
There's nothing special to do and it does work. I found it to be mostly useless and removed the Hondalink app, and turned off the mirrorlink setting in the phone's setting menu. I charge mine wirelessly now, instead of hardwired to the car usb port. (the Iottie holster has wireless charging coil built in) My only connect to the phone is bluetooth.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I updated my cell phone last week to a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Marshmallow.
I now use the Google Maps app that comes pre-installed on the phone for my GPS. Directions are excellent and in a timely manner, no need to take my eyes away from the road to look at a screen etc., just set my route at the start and away we go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This topic has actually been discussed (to death!). See here

Specifically, see post #101 in that thread.

(There’s also Youtube tutorial videos if you search there)

All you need is a phone that can output HDMI and you need the HDMI cable to connect your phone to the car’s HDMI port.

Give it a shot. But you’ll probably find that it’s not an ideal solution for various reasons which you’ll inevitably discover…
Not "to death" since no one cares to address the issue where this method (as seen in Youtube videos) does not work for a lot of us as soon as the car is out of park or starts moving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts