Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX AWD
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new flat screen and wanted to know how large will fit in the back of my 2020 EX while still inside its box? I am thinking a 55" in the box should fit, but want to be sure.

Thanks

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to buy a new flat screen and wanted to know how large will fit in the back of my 2020 EX while still inside its box? I am thinking a 55" in the box should fit, but want to be sure.

Thanks
You should be able to find the box dimensions online then measure the hatch.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Just dont take any passengers.

Slap the seats down and remove the parcel shelf. You will have acres of room in there.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
2,749 Posts
We will be getting one maybe a 60-65 incher. Here i get a 50 inch a sedan, I had so much trouble getting it in NAH!

Back seat like so may just fit fine, we'll see soon.

Reactions: Als-CRV

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
As Grpass said, check the box dimensions (many online retailers have the actual TV dimensions and the dimensions of its box). I spot-checked a Sony 65-inch model, and its box dimensions would lie flat between the wheel wells in the cargo space with the seats folded.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
588 Posts
Might want to bring along several blankets, too. Rear floor isn't flat & level with the folded rear seats. Once you get the TV box up on the folded rear seats, place the blankets under the box that is over the spare tire well. Will soften the road bumps and relieve stress on the stretched out TV box.

·
Super Moderator
2,749 Posts
When I walked into Bestbuy and the salesperson said, this will not fit in your car? I asked who said so? These are the cars that we have in the system, So if you're like said have no clue how to get things safely in, use their shipping method.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Not recommend to lie flat, stand only during transport. Under 55" should fit on stand.
I would suggest you never buy a flat screen and have it delivered then. :)

Seriously, as long as the TV is in it's original packaging, there is nothing to worry about transporting it a short distance on its side. Just be careful to avoid any pot holes.

·
Super Moderator
2,228 Posts
I would suggest you never buy a flat screen and have it delivered then. :)

Seriously, as long as the TV is in it's original packaging, there is nothing to worry about transporting it a short distance on its side. Just be careful to avoid any pot holes.
Right! A refrigerator (on it's side or back) may be a different issue.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,704 Posts
Not recommend to lie flat, stand only during transport. Under 55" should fit on stand.
Slight clarification on this guidance from TV manufacturers.... they cannot be shipped from factory to destination floor in the lie flat position. They must be shipped vertically. The reason is flat box lying flat on a shipping truck is much more vulnerable to other packages or boxes falling on them. It also assumes they would be shipped individually, but that would only happen at a local distribution warehouse... because they ship from the factories vertical and strapped into pallets.

The buying consumer can indeed put the box flat (important: screen side up only) and driven home with no issues. Just do NOT stack or place anything on top of the box.

As to the original question.. yes... a factory boxed 55 inch flat screen TV is easy peasy to haul home in your CRV, with plenty of room to spare. I have done this twice now.. once for me and once for a neighbor. You just have to put the cargo tray in the upper position slot and lay the back seats down, as this gives you a stable flat surface for the box to rest on. I would advise tying it down so it does not whip around in the cargo area when you go around corners. CRV cargo holds are prone to stuff sliding and moving around if it is unanchored. For something as light as a 55 flat screen.. you can just put some blankets rolled up and on each side to buffer any movement.

While I have not personally done it, if you check box dimensions on a 65" I would bet it fits with room to spare too. A 75" might be an issue though.... and at that size they are getting too heavy for user haul&install for some buyers anyway and often come with professional delivery and installation by the seller.

·
Super Moderator
2,749 Posts
Gee the reasons FIsh said back seat and shown. too square to be flat.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Right! A refrigerator (on it's side or back) may be a different issue.
Not an issue.

Carried a fridge in the back of 5G earlier in the (pseudo) summer....apart from the awkwardness of getting it in the boot (not "trunk"), it was a doddle.

5G CR-V has a LOT of space to play with.

·
Super Moderator
2,749 Posts
LOl. fridge on the back no sweat, you see too many O2 canisters being delivered.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
3,704 Posts
Not an issue.

Carried a fridge in the back of 5G earlier in the (pseudo) summer....apart from the awkwardness of getting it in the boot (not "trunk"), it was a doddle.

5G CR-V has a LOT of space to play with.
Side question... aren't the UK and EU fridges a somewhat different form factor than in the US?

I believe the average US fridge is bigger in width and depth, but about the same in height. In both nations cases, I believe it is door frames at house entrances, and internal stairwells or even elevators that tend to dictate common dimensions. In the US everything is set around a standard of 36 inches width of doors and staircases. So our fridges tend to be just under 36 wide and between 30 and 36 deep with a height of 70 inches average.

Regardless... you are correct.. all but biggest of US fridges would be able to be carried in the gen5 Cargo compartment with the seats down and the cargo floor in the upper position slot. A real bear to wrestle in and out of the cargo area, but quite doable with two people and the use of a moving pad underneath.

Cargo room is definitely one area where Honda has consistently bested it's competition for each class of SUV/CUV.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
^

As many designs/sizes of fridges here as Krispy Kreme have for their donut glazing!

Jesting aside, yes, the CR-V trounces a lot of its nearest rivals in terms of boot space, both with the seats up and down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm a dork and had measured the interior cargo dimensions of my 2020 CR-V (same as my 2017). Here's what I got.

Also, Black Friday last year I did buy two Hisense 55" TVs from Target. Both fit just fine laying flat with the seats down on some moving blankets.

All dimensions in inches
DescriptionCR-V
Width between Wheel Wells41.25
Tailgate Width41.00
Tailgate Height Center33.00
Tailgate Angle/Overhang13.00
Seats Up
Seat to Gate (Floor) Edge36.25
Seat to Gate (Floor) Center39.50
Seat to Gate (Seat Back Top) Edge27.00
Seat to Gate (Seat Back Top) Center32.00
Seats Down