Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a '19 Accord Sport with the 8 inch display. I really loved the car and the head unit, however, after putting only 300 miles on it it became apparent that the car would not work for me due to my hip issues. I had to trade it back at a huge loss and walked away with CRV LX. I basically wiped my ass with $9,000. Anyway, the CRV is actually much easier on my hip, but could I at least fit the better head unit in my dash?

At least I can sleep peacefully knowing I have a CRV with the 2.4L vs the 1.5T. Gotta stay positive.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
You can put in an aftermarket unit; I doubt the EX-and-up factory unit will work (and it'd cost you over $2k just for the parts.) The EX-and-up unit expects a bunch of features your car doesn't have.

I highly suggest you give Crutchfield a call and discuss what you need. An initial check for the '19 LX says you absolutely can install an aftermarket unit, although they do not officially list the adapter kit for the rear camera, although it is officially listed for the '17 and '18, so I think it's just a database problem, not an issue getting it to work with the car.

Note that you'll lose the built-in handsfree (you'll use the one built in to the new receiver, which will involve sticking a mic to your dash), and it doesn't look like anybody makes an adapter for the steering controls.

Crutchfield is an excellent resource, their prices are good (especially when combined with discounts on the install gear), and if you are DIY-ing the install, have great tech support available (even on weekends) to help you out. (I've installed two AA/CP head units so far, and they've been very handy.)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Nope...too bad you didn't try out the "radio" in the LX before you bought it...You're likely stuck with it because depending on how tied in the electronics...controls, etc...are with the head unit as the control access you're not going to find the after market controllers to replace them. If you are that desperate to replace the device you may be able to add an additional device of your choice in another location using the V's electric system to power it and just wiring it to the antenna and speakers. It wouldn't be the first time someone's done it, perhaps not to a V but likely it has been done.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Wipe your 'ass' again and upgrade to a EX - least cost in the long run.

Should have done it to begin with
An upgrade to an EX would mean having to downgrade to a smaller and arguably less reliable engine. Honda doesn't make things easy for people with regards to the options sometimes.

This was a dilemma for me when we got our EX. I would have preferred to have the larger engine and the smaller wheels of the LX, but I (or actually more so my wife) liked the sunroof and adaptive cruise control.

There are some good things to say about the head unit that's in the LX though. You get real buttons, which I believe are easier and safer to use while driving. The larger touch screen that's in all of the other versions is nice, but it can also be frustrating and not very user friendly at times.

You do loose out on a few things with the LX, but not all things are worse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can put in an aftermarket unit; I doubt the EX-and-up factory unit will work (and it'd cost you over $2k just for the parts.) The EX-and-up unit expects a bunch of features your car doesn't have.

I highly suggest you give Crutchfield a call and discuss what you need. An initial check for the '19 LX says you absolutely can install an aftermarket unit, although they do not officially list the adapter kit for the rear camera, although it is officially listed for the '17 and '18, so I think it's just a database problem, not an issue getting it to work with the car.

Note that you'll lose the built-in handsfree (you'll use the one built in to the new receiver, which will involve sticking a mic to your dash), and it doesn't look like anybody makes an adapter for the steering controls.

Crutchfield is an excellent resource, their prices are good (especially when combined with discounts on the install gear), and if you are DIY-ing the install, have great tech support available (even on weekends) to help you out. (I've installed two AA/CP head units so far, and they've been very handy.)
Thanks for the advice.
An upgrade to an EX would mean having to downgrade to a smaller and arguably less reliable engine. Honda doesn't make things easy for people with regards to the options sometimes.

This was a dilemma for me when we got our EX. I would have preferred to have the larger engine and the smaller wheels of the LX, but I (or actually more so my wife) liked the sunroof and adaptive cruise control.

There are some good things to say about the head unit that's in the LX though. You get real buttons, which I believe are easier and safer to use while driving. The larger touch screen that's in all of the other versions is nice, but it can also be frustrating and not very user friendly at times.

You do loose out on a few things with the LX, but not all things are worse.
Thanks for keeping it positive with me buddy, I really am quite upset about my hip, the loss of the Accord, and the loss of the equity along with it. My 2.4L engine makes good power and will outlast the rest of the car. I also like the LX's 17" wheels!

·
Registered
10 Posts
In Canada, we got the 1.5 Turbo as standard across all trims along with the Touch Unit with CarPlay and Android Auto, along with Honda Sensing and AWD. So that's why I picked up the LX trim here. The only thing nice about the EX was the sunroof but I rarely use it, so I skipped it. No regrets.

As for your case Kotal, you're likely better off keeping what you got until you can pay off some of that loss. I've been in your shoes and it's not fun (my case was slightly different than yours with a used GM vehicle, ate about $8,000 CAD trading in due to undisclosed transmission problems 3 months into ownership).

Over on drive accord, there was always talks about swapping the 9th gen accord head units for the 9.5 Gen ones that come in higher trims, but the amount of time, labour and money involved made it an impossible task, as I looked into it when I had my '13 Touring V6. With the CR-V, I'm sure it's no different, and by the time you do things properly, it would've been cheaper to go with the EX, and you'd be in the hole more than your initial $9,000. If you were to do aftermarket, Crutchfield is your best bet to obtain Android Auto or CarPlay in terms of the base CR-V, but you'd be looking at a good amount of money still. From what I see when I configure a base CR-V, you would lose Steering wheel controls, factory bluetooth (new unit would have it, but still), USB ports would become useless in the car, etc. You'd be botching your CR-V. and making its value go way down. You'd have to weigh the pros and cons carefully, but I think you should just use it as is.

Anyways, good luck, and sorry you're having hip issues. I'm the same as well along with back issues, and I find the seats comfy in the CR-V so I'm sure you'll enjoy it much more!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used HondaHack and have never looked back. Well you can via controls while driving forwared. But love the weather radar, Waze, and pandora that run full time.
But can you do HondaHack on the LX Base Head Unit from the states? It looks like it has the basic Honda Interface. So that might not even be an option for him. I know you can do the HondaHack on the other radio but not so sure about this one. :unsure:

·
Registered
425 Posts
I used HondaHack and have never looked back. Well you can via controls while driving forwared. But love the weather radar, Waze, and pandora that run full time.
Please elaborate on the "weather radar" do you have a link to that app? what other choices in regards to weather app ? (i am guessing this is for the hondahack installed in the HU without the need for a phone)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

Thanks for keeping it positive with me buddy, I really am quite upset about my hip, the loss of the Accord, and the loss of the equity along with it. My 2.4L engine makes good power and will outlast the rest of the car. I also like the LX's 17" wheels!
I’m sure you’re missing some features from the EX radio but not much. It runs an extremely outdated version of android and isn’t very snappy. It was outdated in 2017 and is laughable for 2019 and I plan to keep the car for 8 years ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m sure you’re missing some features from the EX radio but not much. It runs an extremely outdated version of android and isn’t very snappy. It was outdated in 2017 and is laughable for 2019 and I plan to keep the car for 8 years ?
Imagine having an LX that you are going to keep for 8 years. It's got technology from 1999 with worse speakers. The race is on to see if our CVTs last 8 years in the heavy CR-V as well. Man, a base CR-V is not what I want to drive for $28K, but at least it rides smooth, has some basic off road ability, has plenty of room, is reasonably efficient, and this forum gives me a home.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That is a very funny point. Yeah Android in the CRV is old, but the technology is so much better than the US LX radio and with Android Auto and Apple Carplay constant updates, the EX and up head unit is a different world than the LX.

OP just needs to save up and get an aftermarket head unit and be done with it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is a very funny point. Yeah Android in the CRV is old, but the technology is so much better than the US LX radio and with Android Auto and Apple Carplay constant updates, the EX and up head unit is a different world than the LX.

OP just needs to save up and get an aftermarket head unit and be done with it.
I didn’t know we get updates. They do this during routine service?

·
Registered
4 Posts
In Canada, we got the 1.5 Turbo as standard across all trims along with the Touch Unit with CarPlay and Android Auto, along with Honda Sensing and AWD. So that's why I picked up the LX trim here. The only thing nice about the EX was the sunroof but I rarely use it, so I skipped it. No regrets.

As for your case Kotal, you're likely better off keeping what you got until you can pay off some of that loss. I've been in your shoes and it's not fun (my case was slightly different than yours with a used GM vehicle, ate about $8,000 CAD trading in due to undisclosed transmission problems 3 months into ownership).

Over on drive accord, there was always talks about swapping the 9th gen accord head units for the 9.5 Gen ones that come in higher trims, but the amount of time, labour and money involved made it an impossible task, as I looked into it when I had my '13 Touring V6. With the CR-V, I'm sure it's no different, and by the time you do things properly, it would've been cheaper to go with the EX, and you'd be in the hole more than your initial $9,000. If you were to do aftermarket, Crutchfield is your best bet to obtain Android Auto or CarPlay in terms of the base CR-V, but you'd be looking at a good amount of money still. From what I see when I configure a base CR-V, you would lose Steering wheel controls, factory bluetooth (new unit would have it, but still), USB ports would become useless in the car, etc. You'd be botching your CR-V. and making its value go way down. You'd have to weigh the pros and cons carefully, but I think you should just use it as is.

Anyways, good luck, and sorry you're having hip issues. I'm the same as well along with back issues, and I find the seats comfy in the CR-V so I'm sure you'll enjoy it much more!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2014 EX-L 7 speaker radio with the built-in Amp. I have everything except nav. Recently tried to install a nice Sony radio to run Apple Car play. Bought everything from Crutchfield Huge disappointment. I have used them before in other installs with great results but this time it was horrible. Spent hours with tech support. They even sent new radio and 2nd Axxess steering wheel support module. No go. Boxed everything up and got my money back. I did get fast at removing stock radio. I put it back in many times. Utter failure. Going to stay with stock for now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 2014 EX-L 7 speaker radio with the built-in Amp. I have everything except nav. Recently tried to install a nice Sony radio to run Apple Car play. Bought everything from Crutchfield Huge disappointment. I have used them before in other installs with great results but this time it was horrible. Spent hours with tech support. They even sent new radio and 2nd Axxess steering wheel support module. No go. Boxed everything up and got my money back. I did get fast at removing stock radio. I put it back in many times. Utter failure. Going to stay with stock for now.
Hopefully a manufacturer like Alpine or Sony will come out with a custom bracket and hardware for the 5th gen CR-V. They have upgrades that look nearly stock in previous generations. I wonder what is taking so long.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts