Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm very upset, 1 week owning my brand new CRV 2017 and I already got a stone chip on my windshield!

I was driving on a highway on my home then I suddenly just heard a loud pop, didn't know what it was at first. Then a minute passed I noticed a spider crack on my windshield!!!

This is my first brand new car, and I owned a 2nd hand Civic that lasted me 9 yrs until I sold it to get this CRV. I drove that Civic everywhere and was really rough on it too but not a single scratch on it. It would even get hit by rocks coming from trucks that carries gravel but never made a single dent on my Civic.

I know the stone that hit me was probably a big one and I know it's an accident and can't be avoided. Summer is coming and there will be lot's of construction everywhere so there could be other things that could happen. Got the crack sealed and, its not as noticeable anymore but its still visible. Like you won't notice it until I point at it. But since I know where it is, it's an eye sore for me! I know I got to move on but just venting out, thanks for listening :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes you can definitely vent just as I did yesterday when a texting woman plowed into the back of my 6-day old CRV Touring while I was stopped at a light. At least yours was a random act of nature/physics rather than something totally preventable if people kept their eyes on the road instead of their smartphone. I had the same thing happen as you on the highway to my Mercedes 300E that I drove for 26 years and it happened the first year I owned it. The stone hit directly in front of my eyes on the windshield like a bullet.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Sure you can vent here! We all do from time to time. It just makes you feel awful to have your new vehicle suffer window or body damage so soon after purchase. I have experienced similar happenings. It is very upsetting.

There also have been times when out driving that a very loud and forceful impact seems to have hit the windshield or body of our vehicle. After returning home I inspect the suspected areas and to my amazement I can find no damages! It remains a mystery! Then there are times when there are no other vehicles nearby and another 'hit' from an unknown UFO occurs.

Best of luck in your future driving!

·
Registered
262 Posts
At least it's "just" a windshield which can be easily replaced.

My days-old '16 CR-V Touring got hit on the crease at the bottom of the rear, passenger door by a rock thrown by my brother's lawn mower. He felt awful and I was sick over it. I paid a PDR guy who managed to massage 98% of the dent out over the course of an hour or so. I filled in the scratch with touch-up paint. It was unnoticeable to most, but it stuck out like a sore thumb to me - my eyes always went directly to that spot every time I walked out to the car.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi,

I'm very upset, 1 week owning my brand new CRV 2017 and I already got a stone chip on my windshield!

I was driving on a highway on my home then I suddenly just heard a loud pop, didn't know what it was at first. Then a minute passed I noticed a spider crack on my windshield!!!

This is my first brand new car, and I owned a 2nd hand Civic that lasted me 9 yrs until I sold it to get this CRV. I drove that Civic everywhere and was really rough on it too but not a single scratch on it. It would even get hit by rocks coming from trucks that carries gravel but never made a single dent on my Civic.

I know the stone that hit me was probably a big one and I know it's an accident and can't be avoided. Summer is coming and there will be lot's of construction everywhere so there could be other things that could happen. Got the crack sealed and, its not as noticeable anymore but its still visible. Like you won't notice it until I point at it. But since I know where it is, it's an eye sore for me! I know I got to move on but just venting out, thanks for listening :(
I'll try to throw a positive spin on this. Something very similar happened on my 06 Si when new. The fixed chip is still there 11 years later. It became a life scar and a story to tell (because I knew of the circumstances under which it occurred). The windshield can be changed anytime. However if it's large enough it may be safer to change it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You're in good company. I just called the windshield company, as I had a big rock chip the windshield on Friday on my 3 month old EX-L. Its about the size of a quarter and right in the middle of my face when I'm driving.

·
Registered
227 Posts
For a few seconds there i thought,
No way! that Toronto CRV guy must be so unlucky to get rear ended and stone chipped back to back... lol
Anybody else?

Sorry to hear about your accidents my fellow Canadians. I hope its the last for your CRVs. Glad nobody was physically hurt.
I got a stone chip on a rental i was driving last week, got it fixed for $20 at a glass shop and had no issues at return.

My brother had just bought a brand new 2016 BMW 3 series a few weeks ago last year when some guy hit the corner of his bumper and refused to compensate him for the damage and did not have insurance, my brother just left it unfixed because he would have had to pay the large deductible out of pocket.

If i ever become the President/PM, i would make the crime of damaging/ hurting somebody else's car just as severe as a human being and punishable by up to and including death lol.

·
Registered
679 Posts
For a few seconds there i thought,
No way! that Toronto CRV guy must be so unlucky to get rear ended and stone chipped back to back... lol
Anybody else?

Sorry to hear about your accidents my fellow Canadians. I hope its the last for your CRVs. Glad nobody was physically hurt.
I got a stone chip on a rental i was driving last week, got it fixed for $20 at a glass shop and had no issues at return.

My brother had just bought a brand new 2016 BMW 3 series a few weeks ago last year when some guy hit the corner of his bumper and refused to compensate him for the damage and did not have insurance, my brother just left it unfixed because he would have had to pay the large deductible out of pocket.

If i ever become the President/PM, i would make the crime of damaging/ hurting somebody else's car just as severe as a human being and punishable by up to and including death lol.
I think prison would suffice.

·
Banned
806 Posts
This was my windshield incident that broke the camels back and forced me to buy dash cams. Guy denied the box fell out of his truck until the police went back and found it with his address on it. "Oh I forgot that was in there". It was either eat the box or cause a huge accident.

IMG_0388.jpg

On a side note years ago I had a windshield bust from the heat. Must have had a crack or something in it. Got it replaced and the next day a gravel truck launched a rock that almost went clear thru. They refused to fix it. About 5 years later I was watching the morning news and somebody had taken a shot gun to their office windows.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lot of people getting broken windshields. Must be poor glass quality or design.
I believe you are right, we had our previous car for 8 your no single crack! But with the crv chip in two days which got spread in two to a very long crack! Unbelievable?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Except the stone missed and hit the paint just above the windshield. Now I have a nice chip that's pretty deep and white (on black CRV). Oh well. It was bound to happen sooner or later. I got some paint from the dealer. I'll try to make it look as good as possible this weekend.

Sorry about the window. I know the feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your New V with a stone chip. It's hard to imagine a new vehicle with a stone chip. :( Of course you can vent here any time.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I got my 2012 Rdx - 2 weeks after I got it- bothered me so much ended up spending 500 bucks got a new one. Just sucks

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think there is issue with the windshields.. we noticed same on our 2014, chipped very easy and lot more vs our 2011 & 08 CRVs. And one of my daughter's 4 months ago purchased a nice certified 2014 CRV with 19k miles. Loves the vehicle and only complaint is several chips/cracks on her windshield in 1st 2 months. The glass may be safe, but I do think its softer and easier to chip.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wonder if there is some type of glass protector that you could apply to your car that is similar to the type that is used on phone screens.
Something like the film that is used on Nascar race cars.

Or better yet, have Honda offer an option to choose Gorilla Glass Windshield for your car. I would have purchased it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts