Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2015 CRV Touring. It came with a power rear liftgate that is either up or down (both locked in positions).
When we are in Florida for the winter I would like to take my Kayak to a local river inside my CRV with the rear seat down and
3-4 feet of the kayak sticking our of the rear hatch with a bunge cord holding the rear hatch down against the kayak like I do
with my wife's Nissan Rogue (no power lift gate). Any ideas?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Honda does sell the cross bars ($155) and an kayak attachment ($145) from various Honda suppliers. Even the picture, looks good, and your hatch won't be beeping all the way down the road or risk the chance of someone rear ending the kayak further into the passenger compartment. Just all thoughts to think about......

Good luck

·
Registered
516 Posts
You can disconnect the power lift bar from the rear door and make it manual - I think it would stay locked without the lift bar but you could manually open and close it. With the doors locked the button to open it should be disabled. (that part I cannot validate as I have no access to a Touring with the power lift.

disconnect the lift bar and make sure that the bar does not hit anything going down and up with it disconnected. I would install an on/off power button to the motor that raises and lowers the lift bar so that the motor does not operate when you don't want it too. Any Audio shop should be able to pull the rubber seal from the rear hatch and access the power to the motor and insert an on/off switch on the panel or where the panel meets the rug at the bottom - should not take more than 30 minutes to do that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hold the button on the outside of the door and it will beep as if opening then beep as if closing but then the motor turns off. Then you can manually lift it. closing...just close it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Genius!

hold the button on the outside of the door and it will beep as if opening then beep as if closing but then the motor turns off. Then you can manually lift it. closing...just close it.
Worked beautifully on my 2016 CR-V Touring. Just do as directed and your can manually lift tail gate until it can't go up any more. Than just manusally close.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would be very concerned about exhaust gases entering the passenger cabin. Personally, I would not do this and for that very reason I purchased the roof cross bars. Opens up a lot of transport options and no safety concerns.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Folks have bought and modified this compact trailer from Northern Tool for hauling their kayaks.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612543_200612543

I bought one recently solely to haul landscape stuff from the box store to the house. When not in use, it stands up in the garage out the way and out of the weather.:nod:

fullsizeoutput_32.jpg

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
just would have made life earlier for Honda to the back window open up separate from the rear gate. LOL oh well, another lifetime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts