Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2014 Honda CR-V EXL with 55,000 miles, and I absolutely fell in love with the car once I test drove it. It came with a full tank, there didn’t seem to be a rumble/vibration in idle.

I forgot to ask the dealer what gas I should put in, when I get to the gas station and opened the gas cap it said -85. I thought 87 Regular would be fine, that day it seemed ok. The next day I woke up to a check engine light and a few other lights. I got nervous and took it to my mechanic by work.

After running diagnostics on the car, it said it was misfiring on the 1st Piston. He recommended that as a trouble shoot, I should only use Premium gas and get Techron to clean out the fuel injector. He cleared the check engine light.

Taking his advice, I ran the car down to a near empty tank, put Techron and topped it off with premium gas. I shit you not, the rumble in idle left, and the cars running tremendously smoother. Like night and day honestly!

My question is could a car which has been conditioned to take one type of Gas experience something like this due to a change of fuel?

He also mentioned another reason would be needing to change the 1st pistons Spark plug and yet another fix for the check engine lights would be a Reset in the body control module from Honda. Anyone experience anything like this ever?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would continue to run 87 octane and use a bottle of Techron every 6 months and you will be fine. You probably had carbon build up. The vehicle does not get conditioned to a certain octane.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
499 Posts
Could also be that the gas you used for the first fill-up may not have been top tier gas. I would also recommend using a fuel system cleaner in you vehicle, then filling up with the same octane number at a different gas station. Has been my experience that gas stations with lower prices may not always have good gas, i.e. buying gas without a wide range of additive / cleaning agents installed.

·
Registered
840 Posts
What said “-85” - the gas cap on the car of the gas pump? I don’t believe any Honda would specify 85 octane fuel and I don’t believe my CRV shows an octane requirement on the gas cap. However, some stations offer fuel that is 85% ethanol. Is it possible you filled the tank with that? If so, that’s your problem.

Techron is a decent idea. Otherwise, your car should be fine with 87 octane fuel. If that doesn’t seem to work, try 89. If that doesn’t work there’s something actually wrong.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Did I miss something? When the "mechanic" told you "it was misfiring on the 1st Piston" did he/she pull a spark plug to see if there was a indication of a problem?

Like many others have said, you will not get any added benefit from using premium gasoline. Using top tier gasoline is your best bet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What said “-85” - the gas cap on the car of the gas pump? I don’t believe any Honda would specify 85 octane fuel and I don’t believe my CRV shows an octane requirement on the gas cap. However, some stations offer fuel that is 85% ethanol. Is it possible you filled the tank with that? If so, that’s your problem.

Techron is a decent idea. Otherwise, your car should be fine with 87 octane fuel. If that doesn’t seem to work, try 89. If that doesn’t work there’s something actually wrong.
I'm guessing he either lives in another country or at a very high altitude. At high altitude you need less octane because there is less oxygen to burn the fuel. Other countries don't use the (R + M) divided by 2 formula for octane ratings. They use either "motor" octane rating or "research" octane rating .

·
Registered
845 Posts
I don’t believe my CRV shows an octane requirement on the gas cap.
Don't all cars have the minimum octane requirement listed on the cap?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'm guessing he either lives in another country or at a very high altitude. At high altitude you need less octane because there is less oxygen to burn the fuel. Other countries don't use the (R + M) divided by 2 formula for octane ratings. They use either "motor" octane rating or "research" octane rating .
Well, he uses miles and is registered in the US. And most US OEMs don’t recommend 85 octane even in high altitude environments.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Don't all cars have the minimum octane requirement listed on the cap?
My 2015 doesn’t. On the cap it just says “Tighten to Click” and “Remove slowly”. An octane requirement may be displayed when anything more than 87 is required.

·
Registered
845 Posts
My 2015 doesn’t. On the cap it just says “Tighten to Click” and “Remove slowly”. An octane requirement may be displayed when anything more than 87 is required.

I misphrased. Not the cap specifically, but the door:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just bought a 2014 Honda CR-V EXL with 55,000 miles, and I absolutely fell in love with the car once I test drove it. It came with a full tank, there didn’t seem to be a rumble/vibration in idle.

I forgot to ask the dealer what gas I should put in, when I get to the gas station and opened the gas cap it said -85. I thought 87 Regular would be fine, that day it seemed ok. The next day I woke up to a check engine light and a few other lights. I got nervous and took it to my mechanic by work.

After running diagnostics on the car, it said it was misfiring on the 1st Piston. He recommended that as a trouble shoot, I should only use Premium gas and get Techron to clean out the fuel injector. He cleared the check engine light.

Taking his advice, I ran the car down to a near empty tank, put Techron and topped it off with premium gas. I shit you not, the rumble in idle left, and the cars running tremendously smoother. Like night and day honestly!

My question is could a car which has been conditioned to take one type of Gas experience something like this due to a change of fuel?

He also mentioned another reason would be needing to change the 1st pistons Spark plug and yet another fix for the check engine lights would be a Reset in the body control module from Honda. Anyone experience anything like this ever?
No, the Techron is a great is a great idea if you mean injector cleaner. I run a Bottle every quarter to half year after reading test reports on the Internet. One of the few additives that did anything in the test.

Running High test vs Regular is what high compression engines need to prevent pre-ignition. Your car is designed to run on a good grade of Regular and that is what I suggest. You should get better MPG on regular that high test. Note that using Techron usually darkens the oil prematurely, don't worry about that, or run it in the tank right before an oil change.

Get a new mechanic, you are being BS'd.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just my $0.02 - I have had a lot of high mile Honda’s owned since new - sold my 96 civic with 280k, drove my 04 Acura TL until some a**clown t-boned me at 240k, my 05 pilot has 299k, 14 odyssey has 124k, and 16 crv has 165k. I run nothing but the cheapest gas and have never added any additive like Techron. I do perform all the required maintenance when the minder tells me and only use Mobil 1 or Honda fluids. Never had an engine issues. The TL even required Premium, which I used until 150k, when I switched to the cheapest gas.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You should be fine by running 87. I would use different top tier brands of 87 to see if it helps. Under no circumstances should you run 85. The manual for all of the Hondas that I've seen have always said 87 or higher. The reason for the 'or higher' part is probably due to certain environmental circumstances where altitude, load etc. would allow timing adjustment and smoother operation with 89 (93 or 91 mixed with 87 inside station pump). If you are in VTEC range a lot, 89 would probably be better.

However, will higher octane fuel cause check engine lights? No. The Honda PCM is capable of adjusting for the changes in octane via the knock sensor (and other sensors) -- and advance, or retard, the timing as necessary (ASE reference). Also, it can take up to 55 engine starts for the PCM to fully learn something... so, avoid changing octane too often.

In any event, always use a top tier fuel brand. ... and go to someone who is ASE certified and has worked on Hondas.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If anyone has noticed, the OP has made 1 post on this forum and disappeared. So I don’t know we need to spend more time trying to “help”.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It could very well possibly been the gas. I tried to use Walmart/Sams club gas in my wife’s old odyssey van and the check engine light came on every time. Finally switched brands and check engine light went away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts