Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it's possible to get a regular EX AWD with navigation and roof rails? When I look at the dealerships in my area, only the EX-L and Touring trims seem to come with navigation and roof rails, respectively. Although I'm sure you can add the roof rails to any trim CRV, I'm just not sure about the navigation. I've yet to see a regular EX trim listed as having navigation.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You cannot add Nav to the EX, which is why you can't find it. You'd think Nav would be one of those "Dealer Installed Options" (like inserting a special SD card), but it's not.

And yes, you can add the rails to any trim that doesn't have it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I didn't think you could add navigation to the regular EX model. I went to a local dealer to test drive one and asked the sales rep and of course she said that I could. However, when you build and price a CRV on Honda's website, they don't have navigation as an option on the regular EX trim.

The sales rep told me not to waste my money on navigation since it has android auto/apple carplay. My only concern with android auto is that I'm not sure if you can listen to the radio while also viewing the map. I know that you can switch the source to the radio and still hear the turn by turn directions, but then you can't actually see the map. I guess i'll have to go back and test this as I can't really find anything on the interwebs detailing it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have used Apple Carplay, not Android Auto, but in my experience having a phone map on the screen is independent of the audio source.

I have an EX-L w/NAV and use Apple Maps almost exclusively over the built-in nav. The maps look much nicer, the roads and traffic are more up-to-date, and every day when I get in the car it automatically suggests the best route to work/home without having to input a destination.

The built-in nav would be nice if you did lots of driving in remote areas with spotty cell reception but otherwise I would have probably just gone with the EX-L if my dealer had had one at the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input!

Does anyone have any experience with android auto? Can I have my google map navigation on screen while also listening to the cars internal FM radio?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an EX and use Apply Play with my iPhone Map to navigate, it works OK with turn by turn. However, i can't really good overall map view. The CRV displays the car traveling direction instead true north. Specifically, if i am traveling west, the needle of the map display which is pointing west instead north. It is very confusing to get a true picture of the overall map. It is not ideal at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
With CarPlay there's an Overview button on the map toolbar, and you can also tap the arrow in the toolbar to change the orientation. Mine is usually left in Overview with North Up on my daily commute since I don't really need to see things at a turn by turn level.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the input!

Does anyone have any experience with android auto? Can I have my google map navigation on screen while also listening to the cars internal FM radio?
Yes you can. I used the android auto on a long trip a few weeks ago and it did great. Very impressed with the real-time navigation information. You can listen to whatever source you want with the Google maps up and operating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes you can. I used the android auto on a long trip a few weeks ago and it did great. Very impressed with the real-time navigation information. You can listen to whatever source you want with the Google maps up and operating.
Awesome! great to hear! I read somewhere that you can't view the map AND listen to the radio while still viewing the map. They were saying you had to switch the source to the radio, thus losing the map view.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use android auto and you can view maps and listen to fm at the same time. You can switch audio sources from the wheel without having to go through the touchscreen infotainment system.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I use android auto and you can view maps and listen to fm at the same time. You can switch audio sources from the wheel without having to go through the touchscreen infotainment system.
Thanks for the details! I haven't tried this yet, but this makes sense.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use android auto frequently and you can listen to any audio source while the map is up. Also, the audio volume will lower when nav directions are spoken. I read in another thread that carplay will not decrease the volume when directions are spoken but I have no personal experience with carplay.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't know about Android Auto, but with CarPlay you can view the map while listening to the radio.
Whether it is the default navigation or Apple Car Play, you can always listen to music while the navigation is on screen or on the background. Audio coming out of the speakers doesn't depend on what's on screen. And if you need the audio controls on screen, the maps have to be off screen with either navigation system.

That said, Apple CarPlay on the CR-V has a bug where you can't hear the navigation speak if music is playing beacuse the volume of the music greatly overpowers the volume of CarPlay even if you have "Guidance Volume" on the car to the max. I want to point out that this is a bug specific to the CR-V and not your phone, because using the same phone on a Civic with CarPlay sounds just fine.

I have reported this to Honda Corporate, Dealership, and Honda's Infotainment customer service - but they haven't done anything about it.

In the mean time, the short-answer, is yes, they're supposed to just work. With regards to Android Auto, I heard there is no audio bug to speak of from many people, but one person said he was experiencing issues similar to CarPlay as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That said, Apple CarPlay on the CR-V has a bug where you can't hear the navigation speak if music is playing beacuse the volume of the music greatly overpowers the volume of CarPlay even if you have "Guidance Volume" on the car to the max. I want to point out that this is a bug specific to the CR-V and not your phone, because using the same phone on a Civic with CarPlay sounds just fine.
Hmmm, I have not had that problem. In fact just last night I was using the Maps in CarPlay to show my wife. The nav audio was plenty loud (almost too loud IMHO). The music, from SirusXM, was set for between 08 and 13 volume (I can't recall what exactly, but that's the volume range I normally use).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an EX and use Apply Play with my iPhone Map to navigate, it works OK with turn by turn. However, i can't really good overall map view. The CRV displays the car traveling direction instead true north. Specifically, if i am traveling west, the needle of the map display which is pointing west instead north. It is very confusing to get a true picture of the overall map. It is not ideal at all.
I bought a cheap tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab E, 9.6" screen, $199 at Target) and a windshield mount to use for Navigation. With a separate device, Nav doesn't tie up the dash screen, leaving it free for music, calls, climate or whatever. Also, you get a nice big screen for navigation.

I switch on my cell phone hotspot and have full connectivity. Such a big difference....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts