Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but all three of the Canada-exclusive features are extremely attractive to me as a US driver. So much so that I actually briefly looked into purchasing the car in Canada and transferring it to the states, but it looks like the warranty doesn't transfer, so that's a non-starter to me. In fact, I'm likely going to get the EX-L, but if Honda offered them in the Touring, I would get it in a heartbeat.

I live in Ohio, so rear heated seats and a heated steering wheel sound absolutely amazing to me. Panoramic sunroof sounds really cool as well for rear-seating passengers. Does Honda do this a lot where Canada gets different features than the US ones? Do the Canada Hondas not have AC or something? If not, does Honda charge more there or they just get bonus features? Do they ever "migrate" to the US market in any previous models?

I get that for people in the south (US) they would rather have a cheaper car, but man, as a northerner, I would be at the dealership ASAP if I could get those features in a CRV . . .

·
Registered
320 Posts
I believe us models ex and above gets electronic blind spot and gps in Canada you need to go to touring to get that feature
We get panaromic sunroof and heated steering wheels here

However I would go with touring in us also over ex-l
Led headlights , dual exhaust, better audio makes it worth the extra money

·
Registered
776 Posts
When looking for a car last year, I drove a Toyota Venza with the panoramic roof and loved it (the roof, not the car), but the rest aren't important to me. Now it's minus 22 as I key this so maybe today I might rethink that !! Craig

·
Registered
33 Posts
guess it depends where you live
panoramic on the south would never be used.. i never use a sunroof and every car i buy has one..

heated steering wheel? would never use that.. maybe twice a year

·
Registered
776 Posts
guess it depends where you live
panoramic on the south would never be used.. i never use a sunroof and every car i buy has one..

Good point !! Personally, (when it's above zero) nothing like opening the roof and cranking up the heater !! Remember, lots of us take Vitamin D for SAD . C

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nope. Exclusive to Canada for whatever reason. It really stinks.
I just read in the 2017 press kit that the heated steering wheel is an available accessory. Also in that list are back-up sensors and the power tailgate kick sensor. No panoramic moonroof, though.

edit - and the ever popular tailgate tent!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just read in the 2017 press kit that the heated steering wheel is an available accessory. Also in that list are back-up sensors and the power tailgate kick sensor. No panoramic moonroof, though.

edit - and the ever popular tailgate tent!
I don't believe you are correct - in the USA!

·
Registered
95 Posts
i thought the USDM has heated rear seats? if not that sucks.

but the biggest feature that the canada models have that shouldve made it to the USDM ones is the panoramic roof. that crap makes the vehicle even more posh and luxury. too bad!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, my bad.
I wouldn't treat the press site as gospel. There are a few areas I have noticed inconsistencies from them like which trims power lift gate comes in. Hopefully we will know my tomorrow since the Honda website should be updated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, this is surprising. As others alluded to in this thread, it looks like the heated steering wheel is an option after all on the US models. It costs an extra $433 which honestly sounds like a significant upgrade when other manufacturers charge something like $150, but at least it is an option. Nothing for the panoramic moon roof or rear heated seats though.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Well, this is surprising. As others alluded to in this thread, it looks like the heated steering wheel is an option after all on the US models. It costs an extra $433 which honestly sounds like a significant upgrade when other manufacturers charge something like $150, but at least it is an option. Nothing for the panoramic moon roof or rear heated seats though.
I can't imagine anyone paying $433 for the heated steering wheel. My last car I drove for four and a half year had a heated steering wheel and I miss it. However, if it had not been standard, I wouldn't have paid even $150 for it as an option, nevermind $433. Who would have thought that a heated steering wheel would be standard on a 2011 Kia Optima EX and only available as a very expensive option on a Honda?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I can't imagine anyone paying $433 for the heated steering wheel. My last car I drove for four and a half year had a heated steering wheel and I miss it. However, if it had not been standard, I wouldn't have paid even $150 for it as an option, nevermind $433. Who would have thought that a heated steering wheel would be standard on a 2011 Kia Optima EX and only available as a very expensive option on a Honda?
I wonder if the issue is that it is a dealer-installed accessory. At least for the 2016 Pilot, the part itself is like $350 and then dealer install is extra, so it's usually around $500 installed. In a car that builds this into the trim level, "install" would be practically nothing, and the additional cost of the part would pretty much just be heating filament and whatever electronics they need to make it run.

On an add-on like this, you are literally buying an entirely new steering wheel, the relays, and all the new hardware to mount it. Then the dealer basically has to disassemble and reassemble a portion of the car that Honda just assembled, and they will do it much more inefficiently than Honda could in their factory. Of course, you also get zero financial credit for your "old" steering wheel that has all of 12 miles on it that the dealer now has. All this probably does add up to a $433 add-on, but Honda needs to restructure it to make it palatable to the masses. Just put it in the blasted trim like they do in the Canadian models. I'm sure there isn't a $433 mark-up built into their Canadian MSRPs to accommodate the HSW.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I doubt very much that the heated steering wheel is a dealer-installed item. It would be horrendous to take apart a steering wheel and reassemble it (there is so much inside them now including infotainment controls, air bag, etc.). My guess is that it is a factory installed item, and that some of the components might be already installed in some of the lower trim models to save costs. Peter

1 - 20 of 39 Posts