Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just recently bought a 2009 cr-v ex-l w/ navi. I didn't know this until after I bought it, as every other gps nav unit I have came across had or was able to add some type of satellite radio. For some reason Canadian 2009 Honda pilots and cr-v's do not have xm radio like their American counterparts. I found this strange, at least I thought maybe they just wanted a little extra money out our cold Canadian pockets. But to my surprise the dealer said there was no way to add xm radio to the nav unit at the dealership. I found that very strange. I have yet to take the nav unit out of the dash. But I assume it is identical to the U.S units and should be able to handle satellite radio. Is there any way I could perhaps get the wiring from an American Honda dealership? Or perhaps some sneaky aftermarket way you Honda Gurus might know of. Let me know what you think of this.

Thanks,

Matt

p.s This is my first forum post ever! :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
XM

Just buy yourself the US navi at 500 dollars and swap it out !

Hi,

I just recently bought a 2009 cr-v ex-l w/ navi. I didn't know this until after I bought it, as every other gps nav unit I have came across had or was able to add some type of satellite radio. For some reason Canadian 2009 Honda pilots and cr-v's do not have xm radio like their American counterparts. I found this strange, at least I thought maybe they just wanted a little extra money out our cold Canadian pockets. But to my surprise the dealer said there was no way to add xm radio to the nav unit at the dealership. I found that very strange. I have yet to take the nav unit out of the dash. But I assume it is identical to the U.S units and should be able to handle satellite radio. Is there any way I could perhaps get the wiring from an American Honda dealership? Or perhaps some sneaky aftermarket way you Honda Gurus might know of. Let me know what you think of this.

Thanks,

Matt

p.s This is my first forum post ever! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just buy yourself the US navi at 500 dollars and swap it out !
Thanks for the advice, where would I go about buying a US navi? I tried a couple places and due to export restrictions they weren't able to ship to Canada. I really wish Honda would have just added XM from the factory!

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Something to keep in mind here. Adding XM is more than just swapping the Navi unit. You will also need the XM tuner. The antenna and harness will need to be changed. Even with all those parts there is a good chance the dash harness on the Canadian CRV does not have the wiring integrated into it for the XM. Yes Honda does make different harnesses for the same model year of vehicle depending on factory options.

I am not trying to squash your enthusiasm here....Just giving you some helpful info. I would hate to see you spend $500 plus just to find out what you bought wont work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts