Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I know this is off topic but since this thread is very active, figured I'd ask. If I put a deposit down and signed the "new car"order page and waiting for car arrive to dealer to seal the deal and sign the rest of the world, is it to late to cancel and get my deposit back? Another dealer may have given me better deal.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Depends on what you signed. Some contracts state "deposit non-refundable" but you can walk away from the deal. If it's taking a long time to get you the car, you may have a case for getting your deposit back but they'll put up a fight about it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Can your new dealer possibly make a call to the old dealer on your behalf?

Maybe try the friendly approach before the legal avenues?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I put a $200 deposit down to hold a car while I got my finances in order. They said upfront that they would refund it if I changed my mind. I think it depends on the dealer (and probably state laws).

·
Registered
439 Posts
Regardless of what the contract says (and just because a contract says something doesn't mean it's enforceable; many aren't) or what the law is, as a practical matter I can't see why the dealer would refuse to refund your deposit. However, if another dealer is giving you a better price, there probably isn't a good reason why the first dealer can't give you the same price, assuming there's no great geographic discrepancy.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
Regardless of what the contract says (and just because a contract says something doesn't mean it's enforceable; many aren't) or what the law is, as a practical matter I can't see why the dealer would refuse to refund your deposit. However, if another dealer is giving you a better price, there probably isn't a good reason why the first dealer can't give you the same price, assuming there's no great geographic discrepancy.
One of my previous employers has taken people to court. Depending on where you live you have signed a legally binding contract that they can hold you to.

·
Registered
520 Posts
When you put down a deposit, not only is it a contract, but it's a commitment. By you and a seller. You want out? You don't get the money back. Period. That's why you always, always, put down small deposits.

Expect to get your money back? Then what's the reason for deposits? Why do they even exist? They mean nothing, right?

·
Registered
437 Posts
If it is a couple of 100 dollars then it is fair on the dealer to keep it as the buyer has changed their mind. Remember dealers are doing business and it is admin work (time and money) for them when you sign a deal and want to buy. if buyer changes his mind then tough luck, they should have done their homework before. I know of cases where dealer has returned a big amount like a few thousand $$$ and in this case the buyer had a genuine personal issue. The dealer was initially disappointed and upset but after hearing the buyer decided to return the money and they parted with a handshake.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Personally, If I were a dealer and I had a customer that changed his mind, I would return the measly deposit in the interest of keeping a happy customer who very well might frequent my business in the the future for service work or a second vehicle.

If I were selling a personal vehicle and an interested party left me a deposit to hold the vehicle until they could coordinate financing and that person decided later against purchase, then I would not return their deposit…unless it was a young kid.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'd say you're deposit is gone. As others have said the dealer has invested some time and therefore money in this deal and more important they have taken that car off the market for you. What if someone came in after you and offered them more than the price you agreed to? How would you feel if you really wanted that car and they called you and said sorry we sold the car to someone else for more money and and will be sending your deposit back to you? At aminimum you'd be pissed and maybe threaten to sue them. Now, if the deposit was more than a couple hundred $ I'd say you should get some of it back.

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
I'd say you're deposit is gone. As others have said the dealer has invested some time and therefore money in this deal and more important they have taken that car off the market for you. What if someone came in after you and offered them more than the price you agreed to? How would you feel if you really wanted that car and they called you and said sorry we sold the car to someone else for more money and and will be sending your deposit back to you? At aminimum you'd be pissed and maybe threaten to sue them. Now, if the deposit was more than a couple hundred $ I'd say you should get some of it back.
This is a point I believe is missed by many. I imagine most who would want their money back would be the same who would be pissed (threaten to sue) if the dealer sold the vehicle from under them or decided they wanted more money.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.