Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looked in OM. said to go to setup and locate compass. I could not find anything there? any ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
The only thing that you can calibrate is the zone--directions are in the OM. If the compass is flashing, the module, located in the headliner near the antenna has to be replaced. When mine was flashing the dealership told me to drive around in circles in a parking lot and it would re-calibrate. I did that until I got dizzy! They were not pulling my leg (I think).

·
Registered
875 Posts
The only thing that you can calibrate is the zone--directions are in the OM. If the compass is flashing, the module, located in the headliner near the antenna has to be replaced. When mine was flashing the dealership told me to drive around in circles in a parking lot and it would re-calibrate. I did that until I got dizzy! They were not pulling my leg (I think).
Did they tell you when driving in circles you had to put your arm out the window and wave it up and down once every second? 🙄

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's a faulty system supposedly near the rear cargo light between the headliner and the roof. Mine does it too. I'll fix it with black electrical tape before spending a lot of money. I have a GPS anyway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
looked in OM. said to go to setup and locate compass. I could not find anything there? any ideas?
Page 223 of owners manual :
  1. When the display changes to Calibration Start, press .
  2. Drive the vehicle slowly in two circles.
    The compass starts to show a direction after the calibration. The CAL indicator
    goes off.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
281 Posts
I made a few attempts to work thru the Calibration procedure in the Owners Manual. Sometimes it held for a day, sometimes not. The odd thing is maybe once every few weeks the flashing CAL would go out, but it often didn't seem to indicate the direction correctly - as though it locked to the wrong magnetic north zone.

As my HondaCare plan is nearing the end, today was the day to have them replace the roof module.

Module: 78300-T0A-A01 runs around $60.
Labor: Around 2 hours if they do actually drop and remove the headliner to reach it. There might be some shortcuts to accessing it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I see from a search this morning that the module is really very rearward, and can probably be reached by just pulling down the headliner at the tailgate. There is some doorseal dirt in the tailgate area, and a few marks where the rubber seal was disturbed, but that's about it. So maybe a half hour labor for someone who has done this feat before (probably dozens of times based on some casual reading here about the many compass failures....)?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
1,947 Posts
I see from a search this morning that the module is really very rearward, and can probably be reached by just pulling down the headliner at the tailgate. There is some doorseal dirt in the tailgate area, and a few marks where the rubber seal was disturbed, but that's about it. So maybe a half hour labor for someone who has done this feat before (probably dozens of times based on some casual reading here about the many compass failures....)?
You're correct, it's not a big job. If you didn't care about the compass but just wanted to stop the flashing compass and message display, all you have to do is unplug the cable from the module and the compass display disappears.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hopefully it will only need one compass module replacement per vehicle lifetime!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts