Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All! Recently got a new 2019 CRV and getting settled in with the car. While driving today in city traffic, I noticed a behavior that concerned me and wasn't sure if it's normal or not for the vehicle.

When sitting at a light with my foot on the brake pedal, after releasing the brake pedal and not having yet stepped on the accelerator, I feel the car start to accelerate on it's own which feels like a subtle surge forward. The engine RPMs also go up as if I were gently stepping on the accelerator from the idle RPM of around 750 to about 1,000 - 1,100. If I step on the brake again fighting this subtle surge, the RPMs drop down back to the normal idle speed. This behavior is consistent which made me wonder is this a normal programmed behavior of the vehicle that other drivers can confirm, or is there an issue? Kind of makes it difficult to safely ease up to a limit line or behind somebody in a parking lot ...

The vehicle did just go in for the steering wheel/airbag recall and also had a firmware update performed which is making me suspicious...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not unusual but I think you'll adapt to it, page 466 of the manual:
Continuously Variable Transmission
The engine runs at a higher idle speed and creeping increases.
Keep the brake pedal firmly depressed when stopped

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,572 Posts
Hello All! Recently got a new 2019 CRV and getting settled in with the car. While driving today in city traffic, I noticed a behavior that concerned me and wasn't sure if it's normal or not for the vehicle.

When sitting at a light with my foot on the brake pedal, after releasing the brake pedal and not having yet stepped on the accelerator, I feel the car start to accelerate on it's own which feels like a subtle surge forward. The engine RPMs also go up as if I were gently stepping on the accelerator from the idle RPM of around 750 to about 1,000 - 1,100. If I step on the brake again fighting this subtle surge, the RPMs drop down back to the normal idle speed. This behavior is consistent which made me wonder is this a normal programmed behavior of the vehicle that other drivers can confirm, or is there an issue? Kind of makes it difficult to safely ease up to a limit line or behind somebody in a parking lot ...

The vehicle did just go in for the steering wheel/airbag recall and also had a firmware update performed which is making me suspicious...
Completely normal. A new experience for many new owners.. but normal.

The CRV is smart enough to know when you let off the brake and adjusts engine and CVT out of a lower idle state (750) and up a bit in anticipation that you are going to accelerate. This is probably yet another minor fuel economy feature in the current gen CRV.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hate this "feature" - what it means is if you are slowing down at a light, but significantly before, so then you let up off the brake when you are down to a slow speed, the car surges forward WHEN YOU ARE AT A RED STOP LIGHT, potentially pulling you into cross traffic. I regularly have to panic punch the brake to get it to fully disengage and one moment of inattention could have dire consequenses - I wish there was a TSB to be able to fix this.

·
Registered
2022 Honda CRV EX-L
182 Posts
I was wondering about this behavior as well. Gets real iffy when I'm parallel parking into a tight spot.
Once I realized what the car was doing, and that it was doing exactly what it was designed to do, I was fine with it. Our CR-Vs are about the smartest cars any of us have ever driven, which is why finding out all it does via the Owners Manual is very important. Time to get used to new technology, because every new car you get will only have more!

Thank God it doesn’t stop and then restart at lights!!

·
Super Moderator
7,572 Posts
Thank God it doesn’t stop and then restart at lights!!
Absolutely agree with this.

Since starter motors tend to be one of the weaker elements in terms of life span between replacement in motor vehicles... I really wonder what effect automatic starting and stopping by the vehicle does to the life expectancy of the starter motors in vehicles with this feature incorporated.

Maybe the starter motors are spec'ed up to account for this and most owners will not see a starter failure within the duration of owning the vehicle. Modern vehicles certainly start faster and smoother so there is less overall demand on the starter motor. The feature is rather new in terms of proliferation across brands (yeah.. some have had it for years, but the volumes are somewhat limited), so I'm not sure there is enough life cycle data yet on starter motor life.

·
Super Moderator
7,572 Posts
I was wondering about this behavior as well. Gets real iffy when I'm parallel parking into a tight spot.

I parallel park all the time and have never seen this native feature of idle control in the CRV to pose any issue at all. It's not like it surges... it simply idles up from ~750 rpm to ~1000 rpm when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

The net effect I observe is the vehicle moves from essentially no forward movement to a small creeping forward, which remains completely under the control of the driver through very modest incremental application of the brake pedal when needed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I parallel park all the time and have never seen this native feature of idle control in the CRV to pose any issue at all. It's not like it surges... it simply idles up from ~750 rpm to ~1000 rpm when you take your foot off the brake pedal.

The net effect I observe is the vehicle moves from essentially no forward movement to a small creeping forward, which remains completely under the control of the driver through very modest incremental application of the brake pedal when needed.
I think it's more when I'm on a hill or one of the wheels is in a small pothole. I usually just lift off the brake and move forward a little, but in those situations I'm standing still and need to gas it a little bit.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have no idea what this post is about! The CR-V is no different than any other Automatic I have driven. If it is in Drive and you are stopped and take your foot off the brake it will move forward. This is assuming level terrain.
I have never owned an Auto that stayed Still in Drive when I took my foot off the brake.
If they are talking about some sort of surge, I have never noticed this. I am kind of wondering what some of the people on this forum are doing. I never take my foot off the brake when the vehicle is in Drive unless I want to go move forward. Are people really expecting it to stay still until you give it some gas?

So William I agree with you post on this issue. As for your question about stop/start engines, I also hate them but...
The starters in them are completely different from normal starters. They are designed for hundreds of thousands of starts. They also use a system where half of the engines pistons are left in a position that keeps them at the top of the head and under serious compression. So the starter only has to nudge them over slightly to get them to fire downward and start the engine.

Rob

·
Registered
125 Posts
We hate the stop/start feature too... We had a rental with stop/start when my wife's old c280 was on service. Normally we roll forward in stop and go traffic by releasing the brake. With stop/start we have to step on the gas to restart the engine to inch forward. When we figured out why this new rental shoke all the time, we turned the feature off.

For regular cars, the engine would not increase in rpm, at least not significantly, on its own on releasing the brake. The loading against the brakes and a stopped vehicle on level ground would be about the same when the brake is released. Hence the rpm should more or less remain the same.

Perhaps it is special for CRV. It may have something to do with its CVT. Or the engine is tuned down on stop to save gas.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have no idea what this post is about! The CR-V is no different than any other Automatic I have driven. If it is in Drive and you are stopped and take your foot off the brake it will move forward. This is assuming level terrain.
I have never owned an Auto that stayed Still in Drive when I took my foot off the brake.
If they are talking about some sort of surge, I have never noticed this. I am kind of wondering what some of the people on this forum are doing. I never take my foot off the brake when the vehicle is in Drive unless I want to go move forward. Are people really expecting it to stay still until you give it some gas?

So William I agree with you post on this issue. As for your question about stop/start engines, I also hate them but...
The starters in them are completely different from normal starters. They are designed for hundreds of thousands of starts. They also use a system where half of the engines pistons are left in a position that keeps them at the top of the head and under serious compression. So the starter only has to nudge them over slightly to get them to fire downward and start the engine.

Rob
The crv does it a little differently. After you lift off the brakes, the car pauses and then surges forward.

Traditional automatics will start inching forward the moment you lift off the brakes.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
The crv does it a little differently. After you lift off the brakes, the car pauses and then surges forward.

Traditional automatics will start inching forward the moment you lift off the brakes.

Sorry, but mine does not do that. It moves forward smoothly as soon as a lift my foot off of the brake. I get no surge and I tried this yesterday in an underground garage, it will go to a constant speed of 5 MPH @ 1000 RPM with the brake off on a level surface.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator
7,572 Posts
Sorry, but mine does not do that. It moves forward smoothly as soon as a lift my foot off of the brake. I get no surge and I tried this yesterday in an underground garage, it will go to a constant speed of 5 MPH @ 1000 RPM with the brake off on a level surface.
Exactly the same behavior on my CRV as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts