Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,575 Posts
The alarm is only triggered when a door, hatch or hood is opened without the key or fob. The most likely cause of a false alarm is a flaky door, hood or hatch closed switch.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
mine is triggered by POS illegal fireworks or POS loud bike and the like....
I have the upgraded alarm from the dealer.
Yeah, I have the dealer added security system too and opted to keep it enabled when I purchased the vehicle. Vehicle break-ins in the local shopping malls is quite a thing where I live.

The sales person demonstrated it's sensitivity to anyone bumping or messing with the car in an attempt to break in, and it is pretty sensitive, which is a good thing in my view. I like the added security as it will go off if anyone starts messing with the car in any way, rather then just when a door is popped.

I have not had it react to fireworks (which are common on Lunar New Year where I live), but I did once drop a roll of papertowels on my hood as I was taking them off a shelf in my garage and the car decided I was an intruder and went off..... so.. working as intended. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Many years ago when the muffler on my Mazda 323 had rusted out, my neighbors alarm would go off whenever I started my car! Was living in an apartment at the time and he was parked right next to me...

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I absolutely hate those vibration based alarms! We have several cars with them in our neighborhood. Every time the lightning strikes and the thunder rumbles we have 12 cars all going off at the same time. If a Nut drops off a tree and hits the bonnet the alarm goes off. It gets to the point that the owners keep the FOB next to them on the bedside table. Every time it goes off they just press the button and go back to bed. Couple of neighborhood incidents over the years.

One guys car went off twice during the night and he just pressed the button and rolled back over and went back to sleep. Next day the car was gone.

Another guys went off when a bunch of kids where walking down the road late at night. As they passed the car one of them evidently bumped it. The alarm went off and they threw a rock through his windscreen and ran.

I ditched those kinds of alarms years ago. If my car alarm goes off at night then I am 100% sure someone has broken into the car. So I get up immediately, then lock and load and come out of the house ready to engage. It's happened twice and both times the guys got the message that this was not a house to steal from.

The best alarm systems are the ones that cannot go off unless someone has actually broken into the car.

As for the OP. I suspect that he did not lock the car door properly. It was halfway locked and when the wind blew, it causes the door to open a further 1/8" and that was enough to release the doors lock switch

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,575 Posts
I have the 2017 CR-V Touring but I'm not even sure I have an alarm. How do I tell?
Yes you have an alarm system, lock all the doors and look at the instrument panel, You will see a flashing red indicator, showing the system is armed. If anyone forces open a door, hatch or hood the alarm will sound. It's all in your manual.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX
49 Posts
https://ring.com/share/6725217919890962617

2017 EXL - Car alarm sounded from what I can tell was for no reason. This is the first time I am aware off that this occurred. Tested the alarm today, if the car is locked by fob, and fob placed in the house, - can kick tire and try all doors including tailgate without alarm sounding.

Any thoughts?
My first thought is to check the battery life of the lithium cell in the key fob. Other than that, Honda may have a TSB.

·
Registered
857 Posts

2017 EXL - Car alarm sounded from what I can tell was for no reason. This is the first time I am aware off that this occurred. Tested the alarm today, if the car is locked by fob, and fob placed in the house, - can kick tire and try all doors including tailgate without alarm sounding.

Any thoughts?
Someone else had an issue where the hood latch, when it cooled at night, sometimes became disengaged. It was happening consistently enough that they taped it as proof... When it didn't alarm they took to dealer.

It is probably something like this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
Someone else had an issue where the hood latch, when it cooled at night, sometimes became disengaged. It was happening consistently enough that they taped it as proof... When it didn't alarm they took to dealer.

It is probably something like this.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Yep.. at the end of the day.. there is a small switch or sensor on each door and hood and they are not infallible, and can be intermittent.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Any thoughts?
Take it to your local Honda (or Acura if they are closer). Ask them to use there i-HDS scan tool to read the last trip history in Body Electrical> Security in the vehicle's Body Electrical System (the security logic is housed in the vehicles BCM).

Once you know what's triggering the alarm, you can start to pursue the root cause/s.

Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2018 Touring started blasting off 4 times during the night for no apparent reason. each time I went out to unlock and lock the doors and check again. No clue what triggered it. fist time it happened since I bought it last year in March.

any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
7,558 Posts
My 2018 Touring started blasting off 4 times during the night for no apparent reason. each time I went out to unlock and lock the doors and check again. No clue what triggered it. fist time it happened since I bought it last year in March.

any ideas?
I think the suggestions already provided in this thread will serve you well as a first step.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts