Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is really hard to explain.. Today I was moving off from a traffic light, and when the car was about 50km/h, I realised that I was in the incorrect lane to take a coming left turn, the left lane was “packed” I spotted a gap ahead, so I had to floor the car a bit to catch up, while doing this I noticed the car “tried” to break on its own,. it was really really short.. 1 second or so.. I did not see or heard any warning from the emergency break system, I heard what it seemed a noise from the breaks.. I am not sure, again, it was not a feeling of losing power was more a sort of feeling like the car was resisting to the acceleration, Note that the feeling was not the same as the cruise control reducing speed, or the emergency break being activated.

This is not the first time, Something similar happened like 3 weeks ago.. I was not able to replicate the issue that time neither today.. any thoughts on this would be really appreciated ?
Thanks,

Will
CRV 18 Sport Sensing 1.5T

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
OH my its breaking apart why not simply use Brake for braking and Break for falling apart. GEE! Have wee become that dumb to use catch phrases on something of importance

Reactions: crv383

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,593 Posts
In my experience, the Honda sensing systems will try to over-ride the driver if they predict a possible collision.

How it reacts is somewhat modulated by your vehicle speed. For example... at low speeds on city streets, it is more likely to give you early notification of possible collision by beeping and flashing the BRAKE alert on your dash, and giving you the latitude to decide on action. At highway speeds though.. if you present it with what it perceives as a sudden collision threat... it will not beep, and alert you to brake.. but instead will begin applying the brakes for you. This does three positive things: 1) it bypasses the delay of alerting you and waiting for you to brake 2) it brakes to avoid what it believes is a collision threat 3) It certainly gets your attention by applying the brakes.

Given what you described you were doing.. I could see the CRV interpreting a possible collision and taking positive action by braking. This does result in some false positives. It is difficult to recreate because the actual circumstances in the moment for you, the traffic around you, what you were trying to do, and what the sensors detected and responded to are all fairly unique to the particular circumstance. You described what you were doing pretty well though... so I would expect you could recreate it fairly well... but really may not want to.. as it might be hazardous under the right conditions.

My experience with Honda Sensing is that it tends to be conservative and will try to avoid something it detects as a hazardous condition. While it may cause the driver to be startled and not be aware of what is happening and why... I'd rather it be conservative then be lax.. and then as owner.... me puzzling why the safety systems did not protect me from myself or my environment.

Keep in mind... Honda Sensing on the gen5 CRV is a bit under level 2 automated driving.. so it will not perfectly sense all conditions and react correctly under all conditions. So.. Honda programming it to be conservative in matters related to possible collision I see as a good thing.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Pay attention . Don;t and be warned.

Reactions: crv383

·
Premium Member
2018 Honda CRV EX-L
421 Posts
It took me awhile to get accustomed to this. A couple of times when an oncoming car was making a left turn in front of me the brakes started to apply. The oncoming car stopped and I pressed the gas to keep on going. I've adjusted to it.
When I first got my car, the beeps would start and I would be looking around dash trying to figure out why. Now I have no problem and like it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, another one happened last night, No cars ahead, I was entering a motorway/highway full acceleration and when the car was about 70km/h I felt the car going down like breaks were getting applied, less than a second.. then came back .. no warnings.. nothing like you feel or see when emergency break or cruise control reduced the speed

I know what you guys mean with Honda Sensing stuff, I’ve experienced emergency break in action, when using cruise control and the car in front of me turns right/left or suddenly stops as an user described it above.

The next maintenance is in about 1000kms as per MM but perhaps I will take it before that..not sure yet

And sorry if some of you guys have a hard time understanding my posts.. English is not my first language.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
7,593 Posts
Ok, another one happened last night, No cars ahead, I was entering a motorway/highway full acceleration and when the car was about 70km/h I felt the car going down like breaks were getting applied, less than a second.. then came back .. no warnings.. nothing like you feel or see when emergency break or cruise control reduced the speed

I know what you guys mean with Honda Sensing stuff, I’ve experienced emergency break in action, when using cruise control and the car in front of me turns right/left or suddenly stops as an user described it above.

The next maintenance is in about 1000kms as per MM but perhaps I will take it before that..not sure yet

And sorry if some of you guys have a hard time understanding my posts.. English is not my first language.

Thanks,

I had this happen once in town at 30 mph. The vehicle was reacting to a very bright reflection off the back window of the SUV about 100 feet in front of me. That reflection also largely blinded me for a moment.. so I can see why the vehicle also reacted in startled manner.

You WILL get some false positive responses from Honda Sensing from time to time, and it can startle you when it happens. The camera might see something (like a sudden bright light or reflection) or the radar may pick up an object forward and just off center of your lane (particularly on a curve or a ramp up from one level to another). My wife recently had her Accord do a startled brake reaction when she passed under a very dark underpass on the freeway ... so some something obviously struck the camera imaging as sudden change in light pattern and got relayed as a possible hazard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, this is really hard to explain.. Today I was moving off from a traffic light, and when the car was about 50km/h, I realised that I was in the incorrect lane to take a coming left turn, the left lane was “packed” I spotted a gap ahead, so I had to floor the car a bit to catch up, while doing this I noticed the car “tried” to break on its own,. it was really really short.. 1 second or so.. I did not see or heard any warning from the emergency break system, I heard what it seemed a noise from the breaks.. I am not sure, again, it was not a feeling of losing power was more a sort of feeling like the car was resisting to the acceleration, Note that the feeling was not the same as the cruise control reducing speed, or the emergency break being activated.

This is not the first time, Something similar happened like 3 weeks ago.. I was not able to replicate the issue that time neither today.. any thoughts on this would be really appreciated ?
Thanks,

Will
CRV 18 Sport Sensing 1.5T

I had this sudden braking occur twice on my 2018 CRV Touring. Can be very scary at highway speeds. Clear day, no birds, no leaves, no dirty sensors. The dealer dialed down the sensitivity of the system and no problems since then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Today for the first time ever my 2017 CRV slammed on the brakes. I was following a cano/kayak carrier several car lengths back going at about 20 mph. All of a sudden the car started braking. To be honest I didn’t even know it had that feature! I’m assuming that somehow the empty canoe carrier triggered something in the sensor to make it seem I was much closer than I actually was! Kinda scary! Glad I was driving slow!!

·
Super Moderator
7,593 Posts
Today for the first time ever my 2017 CRV slammed on the brakes. I was following a cano/kayak carrier several car lengths back going at about 20 mph. All of a sudden the car started braking. To be honest I didn’t even know it had that feature! I’m assuming that somehow the empty canoe carrier triggered something in the sensor to make it seem I was much closer than I actually was! Kinda scary! Glad I was driving slow!! View attachment 134676
Great Photo. That trailer could look rather odd to the radar system... which normally expects to see big solid objects on the road.

I could definitely see how that empty trailer might fool the sensing systems in some conditions.. particularly the radar, which is the primary sensor for vehicle to vehicle distance. It was probably echoing back on the truck sometimes (seeing through the gaps in the trailer) and the trailer other times....which would represent a sudden change in distance. Just bouncing around a little on the road, I could see the frame and it's wide air gaps creating variations in the echo back on the millimeter radar and confusing it.

These systems will get better with each new generation.. but this is a great example of why autonomous driving is not ready for prime time with motor vehicles yet. Which is why every automaker (even Tesla) had a warning about not completely trusting the sensing systems 100% of the time and the driver must remain in control of the vehicle at all times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very confusing at first glance. I had to start reading the body of text to get what was being discussed.
"Car breaking" means your CRV broke?

"Emergency break" is what you do to the little pane of glass to set off the fire alarm.

·
Super Moderator
7,593 Posts
My 2018 CR-V braked for wide white lines in the road two times, nothing else around and that’s all I could see that caused the braking.
Yeah...I've had mine "over-react" to wide solid white lines a few times too, not braking..but launching into steering wheel vibrations to alert the driver. I simply whispered "Calm down Francis" to my CRV and ignored the alerts :p

I think the camera is calibrated for normal width lines.. so I can see why some extra wide lines might cause it to over-react.. since it would see them as more significant then they actually are. I look at it as a nice affirmation that my CRV still needs a human driver. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very confusing at first glance. I had to start reading the body of text to get what was being discussed.
"Car breaking" means your CRV broke?

"Emergency break" is what you do to the little pane of glass to set off the fire alarm.

Come on! We all know what you really want to say is that someone doesn't realize that "Brake" and "Break" are two completely different words with different meanings.
Break can be a verb and a noun. As a verb, it means to shatter, to crack, to make unusable. As a noun, it means an action or action of breaking.
  • We’ve been working all day. When can we expect a break?
  • There was a break in the dam.
  • Everyday basketball game has one halftime break.
Brake can also be used as a verb and a noun. As a verb, it means to use the brakes on a vehicle. As a noun, it refers to the mechanical device used to stop cars while moving.
  • Don’t forget to apply the parking brake. (noun)
  • Another driver cut me off and I had to brake suddenly. (verb)

·
Registered
704 Posts
Emergency braking can be caused by the driver touching the brake pedal just so lightly.

It will do that if you accidental touch the brake pedal - try it - give it gas and touch the brake pedal lightly.

You can thank Toyota for that requirement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yesterday I again had a problem with my 2017 CR-V suddenly braking unexpectedly.
While driving down the highway at dusk, with car lights set to automatic, and going about 60 mph, the car suddenly braked, then a notice flashed on the dash screen: “Problem with automatic high beams.” The brakes released and the vehicle drove normally the rest of the way, about 100 miles, but the readout remained on the screen. Very unsettling to have that happen driving at highway speed. I’ll be calling my Honda dealer tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts