Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've just bought a new 2007 CR-V EX-L 2WD, and I have not much
of an idea about car care (exterior paint, leather seats, dash). I'm
just interested in a basic care and not in making it super-shiny.
So please, I would like to know:
- is there a special care procedure for a new paint?
- do you have any recommendation for shampoo and wax for new paint?
- how many times I have to wax it?
- how to take care of leather seats?
- what product should I use for the exterior, black, plastic panels ?

Thank you very much.
Silvio

·
Registered
75 Posts
For ease of care that does not take a lot of work. Wash the car with a mild Car wash product that can be obtained from any automotive store. Autozone and the like. To keep the finish looking like new I would recommend Simoniz Liquid Diamond for it's ease of application and durabiltity. It can also be used on black trim. Simoniz Liquid Diamond can be obtained from the folloing site https://www.simoniz.com/vcc/simoniz/liquiddiamond/231990/

For the interior I would recommend a good silicone protectant from Mequiars. I personally do not use Amor-all due to the amount of alcohol that is in it that tends to dry out surfaces over time. For the leather seats I recommend a leather care cream to keep it soft and supple. Mequiars makes some fine products for leather care.

And last but not least. I would highly recommend California Dusters for both Exterior and interior to use between washings

Hope this was helpful.

Enjoy your new V

Alan
Las Vegas, Nevada

99' Clover Green Pearl CR-V LX 4AT

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can we use the California Dusters to dust off the salt they spray on the roads to melt snow? i just used finished using a sprayer bottle with warm water in it, but it only removed most of the salt. And i'm sure my neighbors were laughing if any saw me, but it was too cold to drag out the hose :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
No, unfortunately the Dusters won't help you with road salt. But the warm water in sprayers was a really good idea. If nothing else it disolved the salt away, most of it anyway. California Dusters are primarily just for plain old dust. We have Lots of that here in Vegas.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My suggestion on anything new... use some good soap and then clay bar the entire vehicle. Those things can get lots of junk on them in transport and sitting on the lots. Get your CR-V as squeaky clean as you can... then you can apply the wax or polish of your choice knowing you're not putting it over a bunch of "gunk".

I use polishes from Zaino Brother and also use their clay bar. It's good stuff, but everyone has an opinion when it comes to wax or polish.

Good luck and thanks for being a part of the CRVOC!

·
Registered
58 Posts
What is clay bar?? Never heard of it........btw, I used the Miguires Leather Wipes..worked wonderfully! I just can't wait for warm weather so I can wash this thing the proper way....lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Definitely clay every year or so, you'll be surprised what you find on your cars paint. For those that don't know what it is it's pretty much just a piece of modeling clay, you use a lubricant and just rub the clay on the cars surface lightly, no need to grind it in. It will remove a lot of deep dirt from the surface.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recommend Klasse

Hello.

I recommend Klasse out of Germany. I ordered a $50.00 Kit online and have used it probably 10 times at least and have about 2/3 of the stuff left.

They have one product to remove oxidation and protect the finish. I have monitored the water beading and it lasts easily at least 6 months (I wax twice/yr). There is also another product you can add after that which extends the protection time and adds even more of a glossy finish, most evident on dark colors. I highly recommend it. It makes a dark green '96 accord look great. Other claims have been up to a year of protection.
Carnabu wax cannot compete for protection and cost.

I have read about the clay, but haven't used it, but I have a white bmw 325i that has black specs in different areas that I think the clay will remove.

Here is a link I found on ebay for pretty much what I got....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Klas...tegoryZ50450QQihZ001QQitemZ110086561004QQrdZ1

Anyway, I totally recommend Klasse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So what steps do you all actually take when you wash your car? I really don't know much about car washing, and I washed my car today at one of the touchless, insert quarter, DIY places. I did a pre-soak, soap, tires, and rinse. Then I put on some turtle wax that I bought (a spray-on that said apply when wet). Then I just dried it with some cotton towels....

it looks shiny... lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Klasse AIO and Glaze will yield some awesome results. Keep in mind that there is only so much you can do with light colors i.e. white and silver so it may not be the best bet for the O.P.s needs. Also, these products are top-notch and the price and effort to get these results will reflect ;)

For the black trim, I would look into Mother's Back in Black or Meguiar's Trim Detailer. For the Mother's, don't apply in the heat or direct sunlight and the Meguiar's can apply a bit to greasy for some tastes.

Leather, personally I use Connolly's (hide food) but Lexol's cleaner and conditioner are very good...

GordonFan said:
Hello.

I recommend Klasse out of Germany. I ordered a $50.00 Kit online and have used it probably 10 times at least and have about 2/3 of the stuff left.

They have one product to remove oxidation and protect the finish. I have monitored the water beading and it lasts easily at least 6 months (I wax twice/yr). There is also another product you can add after that which extends the protection time and adds even more of a glossy finish, most evident on dark colors. I highly recommend it. It makes a dark green '96 accord look great. Other claims have been up to a year of protection.
Carnabu wax cannot compete for protection and cost.

I have read about the clay, but haven't used it, but I have a white bmw 325i that has black specs in different areas that I think the clay will remove.

Here is a link I found on ebay for pretty much what I got....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Klas...tegoryZ50450QQihZ001QQitemZ110086561004QQrdZ1

Anyway, I totally recommend Klasse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
DJTango said:
So what steps do you all actually take when you wash your car? I really don't know much about car washing, and I washed my car today at one of the touchless, insert quarter, DIY places. I did a pre-soak, soap, tires, and rinse. Then I put on some turtle wax that I bought (a spray-on that said apply when wet). Then I just dried it with some cotton towels....

it looks shiny... lol.
1. Hose car down
2. Make soap
3. Wash and rinse one panel at a time (cheat on this in colder weather, not in warm/hot weather...dries too quick.)
4. In between panels, I lightly hose the car down to keep it wet until I can dry.
5. Do rear rims then front rims (brake dust)
6. Rinse car one last time
7. Use the silicone wiper from California Duster company to get most water off
8. Pat dry with cottom towel

I use Klasse to wax. With the red bottle, you don't need to let it dry before you wipe it off, but I usually leave on overnight. It comes off super easy either way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oooooh, I'm in Las Vegas as well - glad to hear that those California Car Dusters work well. My husband thinks I'm an idiot for wanting to get one, but I'm going to anyway.

I wish there was an actual "car car for dummies" book I could pick up... I want to keep my beautiful Green Tea V looking as glorious as she does today!

~Joia

No, unfortunately the Dusters won't help you with road salt. But the warm water in sprayers was a really good idea. If nothing else it disolved the salt away, most of it anyway. California Dusters are primarily just for plain old dust. We have Lots of that here in Vegas.

·
Registered
126 Posts
1. Hose car down
2. Make soap
3. Wash and rinse one panel at a time (cheat on this in colder weather, not in warm/hot weather...dries too quick.)
4. In between panels, I lightly hose the car down to keep it wet until I can dry.
5. Do rear rims then front rims (brake dust)
6. Rinse car one last time
7. Use the silicone wiper from California Duster company to get most water off
8. Pat dry with cottom towel

I use Klasse to wax. With the red bottle, you don't need to let it dry before you wipe it off, but I usually leave on overnight. It comes off super easy either way.
Good advice except one thing
I'd do it this way
1. Hose car down (removes any loose gunk)
2. Make soap
3. Wash wheels (any gunk that sprays on the bodywork can be washed off)
4. Wash car

If your going to clay your car then this is the recommended steps
1. Wash car
2. Clay
2. Wash car (again)
3. Polish
4. Wax

I would also recommend using something like a washmitt (lambswool/chenille) for the body NEVER use a sponge, use a nice stiff brush for wheels
I use a combination of Autoglym and Meguairs products

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have this stuff for carpets I stole it from my sisters house its great you spill ketchup on white carpet you spray blot rub and badabing like new I will try to get the name its in my car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really Basic Cleaning Question

Hello everyone. I'm also a new member and new first time car anything. LOL I've got a new 2009 CR-V EX-L.

My Question: Exterior Spot cleaning. Bird poop... Every day dirt from after a rain... I don't want to have to take it to a car was everytime that happens. I don't really have the time to lug a bucket everytime that happens from my apt to the car that can sometimes be 2 LONG blocks away. Would anyone please recomend simple cleaning solutions for that kind of stuff? Is Windex good on the windows and mirrors?? Just reg soap and water in a spray bottle solution work for the bird poop?? etc...

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello everyone. I'm also a new member and new first time car anything. LOL I've got a new 2009 CR-V EX-L.

My Question: Exterior Spot cleaning. Bird poop... Every day dirt from after a rain... I don't want to have to take it to a car was everytime that happens. I don't really have the time to lug a bucket everytime that happens from my apt to the car that can sometimes be 2 LONG blocks away. Would anyone please recomend simple cleaning solutions for that kind of stuff? Is Windex good on the windows and mirrors?? Just reg soap and water in a spray bottle solution work for the bird poop?? etc...

Thanks for any info...
for spot cleaning you can keep a microfiber towel and a bottle of quick detail in the car. You can windex the windows if you want but they have like glass detailing wipes ect as well though

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good advice except one thing
I'd do it this way
1. Hose car down (removes any loose gunk)
2. Make soap
3. Wash wheels (any gunk that sprays on the bodywork can be washed off)
4. Wash car

If your going to clay your car then this is the recommended steps
1. Wash car
2. Clay
2. Wash car (again)
3. Polish
4. Wax

I would also recommend using something like a washmitt (lambswool/chenille) for the body NEVER use a sponge, use a nice stiff brush for wheels
I use a combination of Autoglym and Meguairs products
hmm, this is a dumb question, but whats the difference between polishing and waxing?

I hose it down, bucket wash with car washing detergent (if thats the right term), and try to dry it off with a microfibre towel asap to avoid streaking or water marks.

I've applied some wax one time, which is just liquid. Waited for it to get hazy and rubbed off with a cotton pad. Seems to work, but not sure if this is "right"..

·
Registered
26 Posts
A wax is a protective coat that can give added shine and depth to the cars paintwork whereas a polish, depending on which polish, uses abrasives and/or fillers to help mask minor paint defects and gives extra shine to the cars paint.

My wash method is

1. Rinse with pressure washer
2. Wash with car shampoo, lambswool washmitt and 2 bucket method (explained below).
3. Rinse with pressure washer again
4. Dry with cotton towel
5. Wash wheels
6. Dry wheels.

Total time including getting everything out and putting away again 1Hr.

The 2 bucket method is very simple and so much better than using just 1. A bucket of clean water and a bucket of soapy water, put the soapy water on the car with the mitt and rinse the mitt in the clean water before going to the next panel with soapy water once more. At the end of washing the car the soapy water will still be clean and the rinse water will be dirty. If you use just one bucket then the dirt that sticks to the mitt will be transferred straight into your soapy water so when you take the mitt out to wash the next part you will also be adding some of the dirt you just took off.

The wash process of a car is when you are most likely to damage the paint due to the particles of dirt being moved around the paint so the more dirt and grit you can remove before you touch it the less damage you will do.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts