Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Car not used for 1-2 months, can it be a problem ?

12K views 53 replies 14 participants last post by  patruns 
#1 ·
Due to my job, there are instances where I have to travel out of country for 1-2 months.
So my question is, will there be a problem to start my crv hybrid when I get back after, let say 45 days ? If the car is not used at all for 40-45 days, can it lead to discharging of the battery and thereby causing problem in start up ?

#2 ·
The manual says you need to be careful of letting it sit that long, but I can't find the details right now.
I'd put a battery tender on it, if you have a garage or other place to do so.

Reactions: TheDarkKnight
#10 ·
The issue is different with a hybrid, but it exists in all modern cars.
With the hybrid the engine is not cranked by the 12-volt battery, it's cranked by he HV battery.
Should the HV battery become depleted, jumping the 12-volt battery would start the computers, but they would have no way to crank the engine to get its generator producing power.

A non-hybrid car could be jumped, and the alternator would then take over the electrical load and you could drive away.
With the hybrid, jumping the 12-volt battery won't start the car, if the HV battery is depleted.
Any Hybrid with a totally flat HV battery is going for a ride on a flatbed.

The underlying issue is the parasitic drain of the vehicle eventually draining the 12-volt battery.

#4 ·
Here is what the manual says —

High Voltage Battery
The High Voltage battery gradually discharges even if the vehicle is not in use. As a result, if your vehicle is parked for an extended period of time, the battery charge level will become low. Extended periods of time at a low state of charge will shorten battery life. To maintain the battery state of charge, drive your vehicle for more than 30 minutes at least once every three months.
Extreme high temperatures can affect the battery life. You can minimize the effects by parking the vehicle in the shade during the summer.
1High Voltage Battery
Be careful not to let the High Voltage battery drain too much. If the battery level becomes close to zero, it will make it impossible to start the engine.

#13 ·
Well, for owners who do not garage or carport their vehicle and do not feel comfortable running a smart charger outside.. you do have options.

1) you could simply put a smart charger on it for the daytime, if you feel safe doing so, one day every week or two. But that requires hooking up, unhooking, and rinse and repeat.

2) you can use a solar powered smart charger, which is what I would do if I wanted my vehicle parked out in a lot somewhere but still want a charger on it. These work via a small solar panel you attach to the inside glass of your vehicle with little suction cups, and that feeds the charging unit. So.. you just need to route wiring through the engine fire wall to connect to the battery. There are plenty of choices on Amazon. My only caution is be sure you get one large enough to keep working even on cloudy days. They generally rate this by power output, and for that I recommend you use a unit no smaller than 7 watts. Depending on which one you choose, you may need some additional cabling to complete the connection from charger box to battery.

#16 ·
What I do NOT know, and is sort of relevant to this discussion:

It would certainly be possible for the the hybrid to charge it's own 12-volt battery from the HV battery while the car is turned off.
It could therefore keep the 12-volt battery topped up.
But I don't know if it does this. I suspect not, to protect the charge in the HV battery.
In other words, is anything draining the HV battery while the car is off?
If not, the only thing draining it would be the gradual loss-of-charge you get in any lithium battery.
But if that's the case I'd expect it to last longer than 3 months.
Does anyone know for sure?

#18 ·
That's not going to help you much at 2AM on a Friday night when the dealer doesn't open until Monday.
But speaking of dealers, since you just bought a new car and have concerns, talk to your dealer about it, see what they suggest.

#19 ·
Hi, a quick ques, little off topic though, so in 30 mins i m going to pick up my hybrid crv ex, its my first car purchase, can you suggest what all things I must ask/check before making the payment and taking the possession of vehicle ?

#20 ·
Wow! Kind of late in the game to be asking that sort of thing.

You want to check EVERYTHING of course, but that's hard to do at a pickup.
But my best advice would be READ EVERYTHING, carefully. Ask for an explanation of anything you don't understand. Don't let them rush you, it's your money.
That is a LOT of money, make sure you are clear on everything.
If you haven't already, introduce yourself to the service manager.
Also, don't let them sell you an extended warranty unless you have looked into it yourself and are sure it's what you want.
Personally I'd stay away from anything other than HondaCare, and you don't have to make an immediate decision on that.

#22 ·
One other thing. Don't even drive the car off the lot until it's on your insurance policy.
These days you can often do that from a smart phone, or just call your agent. Have the VIN handy.

Reactions: _hwpo_
#28 ·
hmmmm...I was just going to ask about this, and now I'm confused. Going into hospital after Thanksgiving for knee replacement (right knee, driving/braking etc). I will be going to a rehab center after but no idea how long I'll be stuck there. My hybrid will be sitting in my driveway for maybe four weeks? Six weeks at most? in North Carolina "winter". From what you've quoted from the manual, as long as it's not two months it should be OK. I am not a mechanic and don't understand why the solar charger would be needed for this time. Thanks as always guys! PS I could ask friends to come by and start it once a week--would it need to run for 30 minutes? Do they need to actually drive it around for 30 minutes?

#30 ·
Good luck with your surgery, but I don't think you'll need luck, they are pretty good at those things today.
I take my Mom to physical therapy and I see knee patients struggling to get in the door, then skipping out 3 weeks later.

You read the same manual I did, but I wouldn't treat that "two months" as a hard limit, more of a guideline.
A solar (or any) charger will keep your 12-volt battery up, but it won't do anything for your HV battery, and jumping the Hybrid won't help if the HV battery is depleted.

If it were me I'd have a friend drive the car around for that 30 minutes a week you mentioned. You would probably be OK just letting it sit, but probably isn't definitely. I'd play it safe.

#32 ·
Which brings up a question:
Does a dealer have a way to charge up the HV battery should it become depleted?
I have sort of assumed that they do, but does anyone know for sure?

#33 ·
I'm sure they do.. but they will not disclose it to owners. Reason: it's an HV pack and they do not want owners touching it in any way as it does represent dangerous electrical hazard potential.

I imagine it requires some specialized equipment to do so, and when that is the case some owners will try to improvise and DIY with bailing wire and chewing gum, and as a last resort.. a hammer . :p

#37 ·
Solution for long term storage: Install an aftermarket alarm with auto start feature. You can program it to start the car every 2 weeks and let it run for 15 min. Both batteries would charge, oil circulation etc would be fine for many months. For a hybrid you will need an experienced installer.

#39 ·
I am sure someone with the right skills could make a programmed remote start or even better a smartphone remote start for the CRV hybrid.

I can start my Nest controlled HVAC in my house from thousand of miles away with my smartphone so for a car it could also be possible. Maybe a Wi-Fi connected module in the car and an existing smartphone app.

#40 ·
I can start my Nest controlled HVAC in my house from thousand of miles away with my smartphone so for a car it could also be possible. Maybe a Wi-Fi connected module in the car and an existing smartphone app.
Lots of ways to implement that, all require a continuous data connection to the car, probably cellular, which means a modem, and more parasitic draw, and an account, which means a bill.
Not worth it to me, might be for others.
I'd go with the low-tech "Have a Friend Drive it Around" approach if possible. :)

#43 ·
#49 ·
The good news long term here is that where there is a need, the free market economy will provide a solution, for a price. :)

I'm sure some elegant, yet trustworthy, after market solutions will come to market in the years ahead to address long term storage of EVs and Hybrids. It's a specific need for a specific narrow segment of owners, which makes it perfect for businesses to rise up to address the need.

It may very well be that in coming years, vehicle manufacturers provide a tap-point and plug system to the HV pack for this very sort of need and use of an after market top-up maintainer. First though, they have to design them to be completely safe, even in the hands of low information inattentive owners.

#54 ·
1.) Potential warranty issues.

2.) Potential insurance claim issues if the car is stolen. (They will still pay liability claims as liability insurance is compulsory.

3.) You can't view the installation instructions until after you buy it. I want to see what I am getting myself into.

No thank you.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.