Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Car Play Butting In / Taking Over

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  therealcbar 
#1 ·
I've got kind of the opposite problem that people have reported with Car Play dropping.

In our CRV, if we're listening to Sirius, and then my wife plugs in her phone, say to just charge it, it automatically switches the music source to Car Play. If we switch back to Sirius, it will hold that and then randomly after a few minutes or so, Car Play takes over audio again. That just carries on until I get tired of switching and either (a) unplug the phone, or (b) just let it play through Car Play.

It's not a huge deal, more of an annoyance. The only one I can report after a month of ownership.

#2 ·
Have you tried connecting the iphone to be charged in the charging port? I think one is for charging and the other is for charging and connecting to the head unit. You can also shut off car play on the iphone.

#4 ·
Use the rear seat charging ports located on the back of the center console, I think they are faster and meant only for charging.

#5 ·
Minor updates...

1) She's started plugging her phone into the other jack that doesn't use Car Play, and that allows her to charge without Car Play taking over music.

2) Last night I tried plugging MY phone (which I've updated to latest iOS 11) into Car Play jack, and drove around for a while listening to Satelite radio, and Car Play never butted in on the audio. I also had it navigating for me with the Maps app, and everything worked "like it should".

#7 ·
Maybe the lightning jack on her phone has an issue and the cable is periodically losing connection.

#6 ·
FYI, you should use the rear ports for charging if you don't want CarPlay on that phone. The 2nd port up front is too low-powered to charge a phone in any reasonable length of time. (The CarPlay port ain't that great either, but it's better than the other front port.)

#8 ·
Mine is similar. Android Auto always wants to butt in and play from Pandora. It's a first world problem, but I must admit I rarely use the Android Auto. I have navigation and prefer the (somewhat outdated and simple) Garmin navigation. And I mostly listen to FM or my high-bitrate mp3s on a flash drive. Pandora from Android sounds like garbage compared to the flash drive.

#10 ·
I've experienced the "butting in" with both iOS 10 and iOS 11. It's rare that I'm listening to SiriusXM through the car's infotainment system, but when I do (and if phone is plugged into CarPlay) it'll override my decision and revert back to CarPlay.

It's really annoying because I do want some of the CarPlay features (like Apple Maps directions) but want to listen to SiriusXM. Even if I didn't want to do this, I certainly don't want to have to remember to plug my cord into different USB outlets of varying strength & capabilities.

#11 ·
Agreed. I did some searching on the Interwebs and it seems that this issue is not just a Honda thing. Pretty much every car mfg seems to have owners reporting similar problems. In all likelihood, we'll let the Sirius subscription run out and then the phone will be the main source of music, so Car Play can happily play all the music it wants, but it's not ideal.

#12 ·
I've not used Sirius, for no reason other than it doesn't interest me. So I've not experienced the problem you are reporting.
I like Pandora, free version and as it is available in CarPlay I'm happy.
The iphone/ios/CarPlay interface is definately not working well since the new ios came out. I am experiencing some issues I've identified in other threads and hoping that 11.1 will solve all or most of them.
I really prefer listening to my playlists and often create a playlist for the day's journey. Along with podcasts and Audible I have everything I could want to listening entertainment when I travel or just drive here and there.

Good luck with your problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.