Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Carplay problem and am looking for a solution!

My wife enjoys listening to a specific radio station while traveling about in the community. When she receives a phone call with the Hands Free Link, the radio mutes while she answers the call. After the phone call has ended, the radio resumes playing her station. Receive a text also works well.

The problem is with Carplay. Whenever the iPhone 11 is plugged in with the Apple original lightening cable and receives a phone call she can answer the phone call okay.

The problem becomes after ending the phone call. The head unit will not return to the radio station! In fact, what appears on the screen is “Listen Now –No Audiobooks-Go to Apple Books on your iPhone and tap Audio Books to get started”

It is almost impossible to get the radio station to return! It appears the phone or the head unit need a setting adjusted but how and which unit needs the setting corrected so after the phone call ends, the radio station returns without doing several steps.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,725 Posts
First, lets start with what year and trim is your CR-V?

Reactions: TheDarkKnight

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,725 Posts
Great! Thank you!

Have you tried resetting the head unit in the CR-V? Press the volume knob until a message about reset comes up on the screen, (about 10 seconds) select reset. If this doesn't fix it, I will have to defer to an iPhone user, as I use Android and have never encountered this issue.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,820 Posts
I know there is or was a recent IOS update that may have messed up features. I lost access to my office's email for example.... and was advised to shut off the Iphone by my IT dept. and all seems well now.

If that doesn't work, delete the car from the phone and phone from the car and then pair them up again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done both-done a factory reset according to the manual. Still a problem. Deleted the phone and then added the phone again. Still having the same problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have also restarted the iPhone. It appears than when ending the call, Carplay selects an app from the iPhone (Music or AudioBooks or Podcast without prompting.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
195 Posts
I have also restarted the iPhone. It appears than when ending the call, Carplay selects an app from the iPhone (Music or AudioBooks or Podcast without prompting.
Just as experiment, try turning Bluetooth off on the phone so there is only one connection path between the phone and the Infotainment system. Maybe there is some sort of conflict/confusion.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
195 Posts
I have a 2020 EX-L and an Apple Xr iPhone. Use the phone hands free using the bluetooth, no cable connection, I don't use CarPlay. No issues, radio mutes when I use the phone, returns to radio when I hang up or the call ends. I can also receive texts. Interestingly an Apple iPhone update, supposedly corrects "bugs" sometimes it's a mixed blessing, as others are created. Apple support is usually helpful, but the iPhone seems to "infect" anything it's connected to. I long for the days of ctrl-alt-delete. Once you start with an iPhone, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated, my iPhone talks to my ipod and they all talk to my Macbook Air.
Seriously, try using the bluetooth only for the phone, the only thing I plug in is my ipod.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
195 Posts
I have a 2020 EX-L and an Apple Xr iPhone. Use the phone hands free using the bluetooth, no cable connection, I don't use CarPlay. No issues, radio mutes when I use the phone, returns to radio when I hang up or the call ends. I can also receive texts. Interestingly an Apple iPhone update, supposedly corrects "bugs" sometimes it's a mixed blessing, as others are created. Apple support is usually helpful, but the iPhone seems to "infect" anything it's connected to. I long for the days of ctrl-alt-delete. Once you start with an iPhone, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated, my iPhone talks to my ipod and they all talk to my Macbook Air.
Seriously, try using the bluetooth only for the phone, the only thing I plug in is my ipod.
I think you‘re right on the resistance is futile point, but CarPlay for me is an absolute must have. The functionality is far superior to the Bluetooth only connection with access to all the apps (maps, waze, Amazon music, Pandora, phone, iMessage, etc). I’ve not had any issues, it all has worked seamlessly for me. And it has made my iPod obsolete.

·
Premium Member
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory
195 Posts
I think your right on the resistance is futile point, but CarPlay for me is an absolute must have. The functionality is far superior to the Bluetooth only connection with access to all the apps (maps, waze, Amazon music, Pandora, phone, iMessage, etc). I’ve not had any issues, it all has worked seamlessly for me. And it has made my iPod obsolete.
I do it this way because our phone plan only has 2gb of data/month, I'd love to use CarPlay but just not enough data for apps, been using iPods for many years, they've worked well in all our Hondas. Hate to change phone plans as we've had the same plan grandfathered from the company I retired from, very inexpensive, unlimited talk & text, but very limited data. Probably should update and upgrade.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
195 Posts
I do it this way because our phone plan only has 2gb of data/month, I'd love to use CarPlay but just not enough data for apps, been using iPods for many years, they've worked well in all our Hondas. Hate to change phone plans as we've had the same plan grandfathered from the company I retired from, very inexpensive, unlimited talk & text, but very limited data. Probably should update and upgrade.
Yes, I’m benefiting from my son in law’s military discount at T-Mobile for sure….$20/mo all taxes and fees included for unlimited everything. Nice never to have to give it a thought, just turn on the apps and let them run!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Steps to get back to car radio:

1. After receiving the call with iPhone 11 through Carplay, call ends, instead of returning to FM radio station, will get on car display screen the following message:
“Listen Now-No AudioBooks” Go to Apple Books on you iPhone and tap Audiobooks to get started” (I have not engaged AudioBooks!)

2. I must go to the bottom of Carplay screen, tap the small dots on bottom of screen to get back to Honda (H) icon, and choose it.

3. On Honda screen, must select “source” and select “FM radio”

4. Once “FM source” is selected, the music from original station will return

This is difficult and unsafe to go through these steps while driving.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
195 Posts

1. After receiving the call with iPhone 11 through Carplay, call ends, instead of returning to FM radio station, will get on car display screen the following message:
“Listen Now-No AudioBooks” Go to Apple Books on you iPhone and tap Audiobooks to get started” (I have not engaged AudioBooks!)

2. I must go to the bottom of Carplay screen, tap the small dots on bottom of screen to get back to Honda (H) icon, and choose it.

What happens if you remove AudioBooks from the list of available CarPlay apps on your phone?

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
195 Posts

OK, you got me curious enough to run my own test. I found mine does the same as you are describing, except mine defaults to Apple Music at the end of the call.

However, I did find this to be conditional.

Scenario 1: if the caller ends the call, system will behave as you describe and stay in CarPlay mode.

Scenario 2: if I ended the call, system returned to FM station that was playing before the call came in.

I repeated 4-5 times for each scenario and the behavior was consistent. So I guess the solution is to ensure you are the one to terminate the call.

Try it, and let me know if you get the same results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting. I will try that approach. I don't know what difference it would make who ends the call-I had not tried that approach. While testing, I was the one always ending the call from my other phone (the caller). When my wife gets home with the CRV I will attempt to duplicate the process you described at let you know. Thanks for the insight!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your method does work! I'm not sure why. However, I will insist on hanging up first when completing a call. I don't believe in the past it made any difference or at least I wasn't paying attention who completed the call and hung up first. Curious as to why who hangs up first makes such a difference. Don't know if it is an Apple or Honda problem.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
195 Posts
Well, at least there is a temporary work around. I think there are always going to be some little niggles like this where CarPlay and the car‘s software interact. My other car would always force my iPod into “repeat one song” mode every time I started the vehicle until I discovered if you put the iPod into “repeat album/playlist” mode (vs “no repeat mode”) it wouldn’t occur. Guess you can just hang up mid-sentence from now on to preclude the caller hanging up first. 🙂

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,149 Posts
i've noticed in the last couple wks i have that same issue w/my iphone also. sounds tied to apple update.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
195 Posts
i've noticed in the last couple wks i have that same issue w/my iphone also. sounds tied to apple update.
It very well could be. I can’t really say how long the problem has existed because whenever I am using CarPlay, my music source is from CarPlay. I never listen to FM radio but was curious about the issue @Chathamite highlighted, so started experimenting to see if I could replicate. Maybe it will disappear with the next iOS release.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts