Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just arrived to a new city a few weeks ago and am dealing with series of car problems. I have a 1998 Honda CRV. The last of the problems was my struts locking up when lifted for other work. As I am new to the area I don't have a trusted mechanic. I shopped around and went to the shop that came in very low cost with many 5 star reviews. They replaced the front strut assembly.

When the work was done I wasn't happy with the way the car drove. I gave it a few days to be sure in my opinion and this morning took it to a different repair shop with high ratings to get their feedback. They said the issue was a low quality strut that is weak and causing excess rocking and a poorer quality ride. They said it was safe but that the only way to improve the ride was to use a better part.

I need to keep my repair costs down at this time. I just spent a fair amount on other repairs, plus this is an older car. But I certainly didn't want to impair the quality of the drive of my great little car. I am unsatisfied but unsure what to do.

Also, I have a "bad feeling" from the shop that did the repairs and am hesitant to go back to them with the issue.

Any wisdom, recommendations or good advice in this situation?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Call the shop that replaced he strut assembly and complain about the poor quality struts and see what they say.

If they apologize and offer to replace them with a better quality strut think about taking them up on their offer, but also ask how much extra they're going to charge. If they won't cut you a good break on the replacement cost and labor then thank them, hang up, and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,767 Posts
any brand name on the shocks or bill?

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I don't know what city you['re in, but if you were in Austin, I could point you to the right place - that magical, elusive actual real honest and fair mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts