Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I didn't have any problems with my CRV 2009 until yesterday, when I couldn't turn it on unless I put the shifter on the Neutral state.

Any idea what caused this problem?
And can I fix it or it will need a mechanic?

Thank you

·
Registered
252 Posts
The transmission range switch closes a starting circuit allowing the starter to engage when the transmission is in Park or Neutral. It sounds like the Park position is not closing that circuit correctly either because it has somehow got out of position or some internal switch contact has failed. The range switch has one contact (pin 7) that provides the ground needed to pull in the starter relay and start the car. You know that pin and it's wiring works because it will start in N. So it must be something with the range switch itself.

If you are mechanically inclined, I would refer you to the 07-09 CRV Service Manual... You will find the starter circuit on page 4-5 (Chapter 4 of the manual but file is named ch 1 go figure) and the transmission range switch on page 14-292 (file ch 6). The range switch is on the transmission and it looks like you need to access it from under the car. Adjusting the switch appears as though it might be tricky, so if you are not used to working on these kind of things you may consider bringing it to a mechanic.

Good luck !

·
Registered
252 Posts
I started thinking that the range switch isn't likely to move, so actually the first thing I might check is the shift cable adjustment - see page 14-286 (file ch 6). The cable has probably stretched over years of use and needs to be adjusted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts