Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Honda CR-V EX 4WD
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 and it has all of the sudden decided that it needs to start vibrating at low speeds and at idle. I drove down the street to head to work and it sounded like my car was going to die on me and maybe fall apart. It was shaking, vibrating and making noises. Not quite sure how to describe the noises but I know it wasn't like my timing chain or anything like that. My brother doesn't even know what it would be. Anybody got any suggestions? (I have to replace the alternator and power steering pump, but I don't think that would cause this.)

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
741 Posts
Engine valves out of adjustment.
Dirty or bad Idle Air Control Valve.
Clogged air filter.
Bad spark plugs.
Dirty fuel system.
Bad vacuum leak.
Bad Engine Coolant Sensor.
Bad ignition coil(s)
Bad battery
Dirty grounds.
Bad cables.
There are more things still.
It could one or a combination of any of those mentioned before.

Any ecu codes?
Start with the cheapest option first, test.
If parts fail test then replace it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Besides how it sounds, is drivability affected? If it runs the same, it could be your top right engine mount is contacting something and making a heck of a racket. Easy to check and replace too.

How bad was your PS pump getting? You can try recording your serp belt in slomo to look for a wobbly pulley if its bad enough.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 2002 CR-V and the same thing as yours, it sometimes shakes at idle, and when I have the AC on it will definitely shake at idle. I did my own timing belt so I knew it wasn't the spark plugs, dirty valves, serp belt, and pulleys. So I decided to put some fuel injection cleaner in it and it made a significant difference. I proceeded to seafoam the car but that didn't make any difference. I still have some vibrations but not nearly as much.

·
Registered
2003 CRV EX Auto 300,000km still rollin'
182 Posts
Did you get any sense whether it was the engine running okay and shaking in the engine bay, or the engine itself running rough and shaking the car.

Former is an engine internal problem, the later an engine mount probably.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,181 Posts
What RPM during the shaking?

If the RPM drops, the first thing to try is cleaning (wiping) out the throttle body. (Do the Idle Learn Procedure afterwards)

·
Registered
106 Posts
exactly, possible that OP has situation like mine, no CEL light, and possibly exactly the same symptoms. this is what makes me think its something to do with vtec or vtc actuation/operation. theres really no system to check the correct function of these systems. The codse for theses are all about the sensor and the solenoids, but not about the correct function of the plunger pins and advance retard vanes, respectively.
P1009 will only trigger if the stars align.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like a misfire, but If no codes then likely engine mounts. As handycrowd says, you need to determine if poorly running engine or engine mounts. Look under bonnet - excessive engine movement indicating worn engine mounts should be obvious. What is mileage?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts