Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the transmission in my 2015 CR-V replaced under the TSB for stalling/shuddering after startup. I drove home from the dealer and when I went to shut the car off in park, I heard the six quick beeps that you normally hear if your car is not in park or the shift button is pressed in (neither was the case). If I hit the button again it went into "On" mode without the engine. Pressing the button again produced the same alarm with the green light on the Start button flashing. Only randomly does it seem to completely shut off after a few seconds. Sometimes it takes 15-20 tries of pressing the button and doing different things for it to finally turn off completely.

Given the COVID-19 situation (and the fact the dealer is 30 miles away), I am trying not to go back, and not sure when I will. I'm not driving much but this might become a nuisance if I am doing a grocery run. Hoping this is an issue I can solve myself, but not sure if anyone had suggestions. I disconnected the battery again to see if that does anything.

Absent that, is there a way to force the car to shut off?

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,577 Posts
It's acting like the park switch on the gear shift lever is intermittent. When they replaced the transmission they may have had to mess with the lever and the switch is out of adjustment.
Disconnecting the battery is really your only option at this time.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's acting like the park switch on the gear shift lever is intermittent. When they replaced the transmission they may have had to mess with the lever and the switch is out of adjustment.
Disconnecting the battery is really your only option at this time.
How easy is it to fiddle with the switch?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
It's not, actually there are two switches one that says the lever is in park and the other that senses the pushbutton on the handle has been released. If the light on the dash is showing it's in park but you can't shut the car off then it's the pushbutton switch that is the issue.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'll look later, but on most transmissions at the gear shift input shaft there is a block called the Neutral Safety Switch. The knuckheads at Honda once cracked mine (5 speed tranny replacement on my Odyssey), and it messed with all sorts of functions (ignition interlock, power sliding doors, etc.). I highly suspect that you are dealing with either physical damage or a positional adjustment to align with the park position.

I have the full shop manual set for our 2013. Your 2015 has the CVT (?), but I suspect that the basic electrical system components will be roughly equivalent.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Just thinking (always dangerous), if they had to disassemble the shift lever. They may have put part of it back incorrectly. Inside of the metal shaft of the lever there is a white plastic rod that the silver button pushes down on. The rod operates the shift lock and the switch that indicates that the silver button has been released. If the rod was rotated 180 degrees out of position it could prevent the rod from moving fully up and releasing the switch. At the top of the rod there is a beveled side that should be facing the silver button. The lever handle is fairly easy to remove to check this. If you want to look, I would suggest you first search on youtube for videos on replacing the shift lever handle on CRVs for the details, I know there are some.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So battery was not the problem, and wiggling the shift button seemed to allow the car to shut off. Had to go to a different dealer given the dealer that did the installation was in a state that restricted out-of-state visitors. Turns out the dealer used some sort of improper bolt that impacted the shift cable. Unfortunately, it isn't covered under HondaCare so I have to ask the original dealer to reimburse me for a $200 repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts