Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 week old Touring will not do anything with power today. I know I must have left something on but what does not automatically turn off? I have to wait til wife gets home to give car a jump. Any ideas? Will not respond to any key on my fob but the fob does light if I hold down the alarm button so don't think it is fob. Nothing else on fob works like tailgate or lock or unlock, in other words anything that needs power from battery.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I honestly wrote more on initial message. Fob works, red light at top will light if I press alarm. Nothing works that requires power from battery. No lock, unlock and of course the start button does not work. Car was unlocked (I have auto lock set) when I went to get in this AM. Any ideas on what I could have left on that does not automatically turn off?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I will give it a jump but not touch anything like lights and switches run it for a while shut it down and lock it and see what is on. That way you will know if its your fault or not.

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
You might have joined the club of people who accidentally left an interior light on.
I just did that to the wife's car. Thankfully it was just one light and the car started fine. Good thing to. I had to drive 970miles last friday.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had a similar problem 3 days after purchase. After doing some setup with ACC on, I tried to start the CR-V and only got flashing headlights with misc warning msgs. Voltmeter showed battery at 8-9v. Jump started with my Audi and drove 20 minutes on the freeway to charge the battery. Took it to dealer next morning and diagnostics showed bad battery (duh) and replaced it. All has been fine so far but with the vehicle so computer/electronics dependent I doubt there's much battery reserve. Now I carry a battery booster/bank wherever it goes.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Are the interior lights not completely computer-controlled, precisely to prevent this from happening? I know the trunk lights shut themselves off after a while.

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
A number of new Pilot owners are having the same no start bad battery experience. The manufacturer's quality controls are failing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the battery terminals early on. There is no response from the car at all, no response that required battery power. Pretty sure something drained battery all the way down or my key fob is no longer registered with the car. When wife returns from work will try jumping the car.

I did try holding the fob over the start engine button. No response.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, wife got home and brought a charger from work. First tried her Fob just to eliminate that and it did not work. Then hooked up charger and car started immediately. All the lights came up as failures like TPMS, brakes, etc. They disappeared after driving a couple hundred yards. I drove for about 15 miles and everything looked fine. The Nav system and screen never did work til I stopped back at home. Got message to hold power button for two seconds to enable nav again and that worked. Nothing appeared to have been left on, all doors shut so I will take to Honda tomorrow to have battery checked.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
On of the weak spots of the CR-V is the low capacity battery. I learned that the hard way on my 2012 one day on a trip in the rain in Florida. I sat at a rest stop and left the lights on. Didn't get a warning as my phone had died adn I left the car on "Accy" position to charge the phone battery while I made a call I had to get done. Well, 10 or 15 minutes of sitting there with the headlights on drained my battery. I finally got in touch with AAA and a nice guy came out and we got it going. He told me that he jumped a LOT of CR-V's and pointed out they came with small batteries. He was right. The factory battery is something like 410 CCA, which is a small battery for such a car. In 2016 I replaced the battery in my 2012 CR-V with a new battery from the Honda dealer (Honda branded and warranty..made by Johnson Controls) and it was rated at something like 480 or 500 CCA, almost 25% more power.

The 51 series battery used in CR-V's is not a super common size but since there are so darn many CR-V's they are not hard to find. I would never use the 410 CCA OEM size, rather I would find the larger capacity model. BTW, local dealer runs specials on these from time to time and installs them for like $100 or something. Its a Honda branded battery with a very long warranty too. Best deal out there.

·
Registered
188 Posts
$100 to install a new bought from them battery? You've got to be kidding - you just loosen the terminals and pull it out and then put a new one in and tighten the cables.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For what it's worth, while I've had great experience overall with Hondas, the OEM batteries have been uniformly poor in quality. This seems like it would be an easy fix for Honda. Why they won't remedy it is anyone's guess.

In each case, once I replaced the OEM battery with strong, non-OEM products no further problems.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've always had good experiences with the OEM Honda battery. In my Prelude, the OEM battery lasted over 7 years. Yes, my local dealer also has one of the best deals on a replacement battery, about $100-$120 installed, and the first five years of the warranty is full replacement, not pro-rated.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The batteries on my last 2 cars (GM and KIA) died without any warning. My set of 25' jumper cables fits nicely in the spare tire compartment of my CRV. I always carried jumper cables for others in case I needed to help someone but they are now more for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took my car to Honda today. They gave it back in 15 minutes saying they tested alternator and battery and all is ok. Assuming they are correct I must have left something on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Took my car to Honda today. They gave it back in 15 minutes saying they tested alternator and battery and all is ok. Assuming they are correct I must have left something on.
Now that's scary...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
$100 to install a new bought from them battery? You've got to be kidding - you just loosen the terminals and pull it out and then put a new one in and tighten the cables.
You misunderstood. It was $100 for the battery AND installing it. It was cheaper to have them do it than to buy any battery around. I think they just try to get you to come in to their service department as they will not sell you the battery over the counter for that price but will install it for that.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
For what it's worth, while I've had great experience overall with Hondas, the OEM batteries have been uniformly poor in quality. This seems like it would be an easy fix for Honda. Why they won't remedy it is anyone's guess.

In each case, once I replaced the OEM battery with strong, non-OEM products no further problems.
I pray that Honda does NOT change their batteries! We have always gone six or seven years on the OEM batteries. I replace them after six or so years just because they are so old and we can sometimes get very cold winters. I do have good battery testing equipment and check them for capacity and internal resistance and can attest to the fact they are great batteries that last a long time.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts