Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Another ugly issue with GDI engines is carbon deposits on the intake valves.

Has anyone with a lot of miles/kms had this issue yet? I would love to hear about anyone's first-hand experiences.

Here is some info about this:

https://www.underhoodservice.com/solving-carbon-deposits-direct-fuel-injection-engines/
This has been debated here many times. A forum search would provide you with the highlights.

The short version is that this particular engine (1.5T L15BE) is too new, and as such, no one has the practical experience yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This has been debated here many times. A forum search would provide you with the highlights.

The short version is that this particular engine (1.5T L15BE) is too new, and as such, no one has the practical experience yet.
Apparently, 30,000 miles is the time to do some checking/cleaning. Are you saying that nobody with a 2017 or 2018 has reached that threshold?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Apparently, 30,000 miles is the time to do some checking/cleaning. Are you saying that nobody with a 2017 or 2018 has reached that threshold?
No what the real issue is, 99% of users don't have the time, experience or desire to investigate such an issue.

I haven't even looked at the engine to see about scoping the valves. Is there even an easy way to get a borescape in?

On Cobalts we didn't really look until we felt misfires in the seat on cold start up. It was very obvious when you realized what you were feeling.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Why do you think 30k is the magic number? Every engine will be different. Honda's other GDI engines have not reported any particular problem at any mileage. There are ways to design the engine to mitigate this.

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Would the probe of one of those camera things fit down a spark plug hole? Will it see to the side?......or just down at the piston?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I bought up this topic a long time ago. Nothing can be done except a complete valve cleaning job. This goes across the board for all GDI engines, although some will hold out longer than others.

I suspect most drivers even at 30 or 50K are not going to notice the issue unless the driver is very in tune with the power the engine delivers and notices the slight changes happening. My guess is that most of the car companies have probably already been working on dedicated service equipment that will make the valve job possible with minimum work and time, if not they are going to be backed up with service jobs in another 2-3 years when the issues really start to show up in numbers.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
^^^^ Exactly^^^^

Deposits on intakes valves is nothing new. Pig rich carbureted engines drench/wash the valves with gas and deposits still form.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I bought up this topic a long time ago. Nothing can be done except a complete valve cleaning job. This goes across the board for all GDI engines, although some will hold out longer than others.

I suspect most drivers even at 30 or 50K are not going to notice the issue unless the driver is very in tune with the power the engine delivers and notices the slight changes happening. My guess is that most of the car companies have probably already been working on dedicated service equipment that will make the valve job possible with minimum work and time, if not they are going to be backed up with service jobs in another 2-3 years when the issues really start to show up in numbers.
The easiest way is to load an OBD2 monitoring device on your phone and monitor misfires on each cylinder. If it's available. You can see the misfires on a scanner and feel them in your seat.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
These guys claim to have a solution.
Of course, they are trying to sell their product at the same time :)

https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/chemicals/gdi-engines-carbon-buildup/

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
I have been looking at CRC in the past but no one with a 1.5L on the forum has tried it. While the vehicle is under warranty I am going to leave the issue to Honda but his may be something I will have to try in the future after the warranty period is up, unless Honda comes up with a reasonably priced solution which is what I think will happen.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I put a couple of ounces of this in the gas tank of all my vehicles every 3-5 thousand miles. If you have a check engine light due to an oxygen sensor a lot of times it will clear it up.

I'm using it in the CRV too.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I put a couple of ounces of this in the gas tank of all my vehicles every 3-5 thousand miles. If you have a check engine light due to an oxygen sensor a lot of times it will clear it up.

I'm using it in the CRV too.

Unfortunately nothing added to the Gas is going to help with the valves on a GDI engine.

Rob

Reactions: DavesXX01

·
Registered
1,407 Posts

You won't notice it unless you monitor your car via scanner or you begin to feel misfires during cold start.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts