Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'd like some support once again. I'm still shopping around for 2013-14 CRVs and I ran across a 2013 which I am interested in.

The car has 42k miles, and the Carfax has good maintenance records and appears to be clean. I am only concerned that it states "differential checked and fluids checked at 39k miles" (this was done at the Honda dealer btw)

Would it say that the differential fluid was changed if that was the case? I'm only concerned that perhaps the previous owner was worried about the differential (perhaps making noises, etc) and had it checked, and then finally decided to get rid of it shortly after. Or perhaps this really was just a routine check and I am overthinking it.

Would this concern you? I'm looking for something to buy and drive for 200k+ miles, so I am really searching for something without problems. It is still under warranty for 2 years, so I guess if there was in fact a problem with the differential, Honda would cover it, right?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Carfax merely reports what dealership notate. It "could" be an issue with the differential or maybe the customer wanted it to be checked as preventative measures. The only way you can tell is by test driving the vehicle and evaluate if there's an issue with the AWD system. It could whine or possibly not even activate under normal dry conditions. I would have them guarantee there's no issues with the drivetrain and hope for the best. When I purchased my 2001, the first few things serviced were the fluids. You never know what conditions the previous owner/s had it, only way you can tell is when you drain the fluids and inspect them...

·
Registered
776 Posts
Did you buy it from the dealer who issued the report of checking it ?? I'll assume it's the rear diff. which should be changed every 25000 or so !! If the CarFax shows it's never been changed and you buy it, I'd change it soon just because !! If there's no noise when turning, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Craig

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
If buying this from a Honda dealer I'd expect it to be a Certified Pre-Owned with that low mileage, especially if the Carfax is clean.
I'm glad to hear you're looking at '13 MY's as they have the 5-spd auto, not the CVT. I'm still not convinced that technology will go 200k without issues.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts